Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted Eddie a few weeks ago. I've posted a picture of him in the forum for introductions.

Every day Eddie seems a bit happier ... and his personality is coming out ... and it's a great one. This week he began doing a little dance when I mention "walk." For that I've taken to calling him "Prancer Dancer" as we walk to the gate.

However, he has one habit that has me wondering. Every now and again he'll come to me and press very close. When this happens he seems very sad ... as he begins whimpering ... almost crying. If I am seated on the floor when this happens ... he just leans his head into my chest. He will stay this way until I gently move him to the side. Naturally, I make time to reassure him.

Being that he is adopted ... I'd imagine he is still unsure of his new home.

Might any of you have insights here?

·
Registered
751 Posts
hmmm. Marley is only 7 months now but he too is very emotional if we can say that about dogs, and is very affectionate. If I am on the floor with him, he will crawl up on me, and lay and snuggle, and just go crazy with love.

Not sure about the whimpering or what may be going on in your dogs case. Maybe just missing his pack from home and needing your love?

good luck, welcome. I saw the pics. Too cute.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I suspect it is a bit of rescue baggage in Eddie. A rescue who has been disappointed in life once or twice starts to feel that this time is different, this time will be forever and then that wee bit of past memories casts a doubt in Eddie's mind. All you can do is comfort him, it will take time for those fears to fade. Sounds like Eddie has already shed much of his rescue baggage. I envy you the pleasure of seeing Eddie come in to his own. Almost 10 years ago, I had the same experience with a scared 3 to 5 year old rescue. It took the Bagek about 6 months to stop having doggie nightmares and start havibg pleasant dreams. It takes time but it worth the effort.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby is not a rescue, nor has she ever been abused and when she wants attention she'll let me know with nudges, and sometimes whimpering.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two are rescues. Both suffered in laboratories for their first 5 years. At first, with us, they just wanted peace and quiet, sleeping most of the time, free from the noise of other dogs and not being messed about with every few minutes. They came to us for cuddles.
Snoopy often buries his head in my chest or lap, almost as if he wishes to have his neck tickled.
We have had ours nearly 2 years now and they are always ready for a cuddle. They hate it if one of us is missing.
Recently we had men working in the house, installing central heating, and Susi and Snoopy kept very quiet in the lounge almost as if they didnt want to cause attention to themselves. I think they still live in fear of someone taking them away from their forever home.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe does that sometimes, but she is a puppy (9 months) and wasn't a rescue... I think that in her case she just wants to be pampered and cuddled. She sometimes puts her paws gently on my cheeks as if she wants to say: mommy, I love you.... :heart:

Its probably as Bob said, rescue baggage. It does seem like he is finding his place and startig to understand that you will be there for him forever... thanks for rescuing him

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Actually, reassuring a dog when they are whining is just encouraging the behaviour. They are not like children and should not be conforted like that. If he is scared or something and you know that he is fine, ignore him or you will only make the fear worse. The best thing in this situation for you to do would be to start doing something completely differnet with him like working on training or playing fetch or something like that. Don't acknowledge that he is upset and make it into something fun.

Good luck and good job with the rescuing!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I read your intro and first want to thank you for taking in senior rescues -- my Maggie was a "street dog" before she came into my life at about 1 year old and she is now 12 1/2 years old. As you can see from the other responses to your post, you will get a wide range of thoughts on what Eddie's whimpering/snuggling means. I agree with Bob that most rescues come with "baggage" -- it is impossible to know everything they have gone through, especially during their formative years. If you and your vet have ruled out any possible medical issues that might be causing Eddie pain (whimpering can be a reaction to pain), I would just comfort him as he needs it. I understand what Spencer's Mom is referring to about not reinforcing whining but it does not sound like Eddie is whining -- it sounds like he is looking for a human touch to comfort him and I think he deserves some spoiling!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with Judy ! Sounds like Eddie just wants a little reassurance that he is loved . :thumbup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the insights.

This morning Eddie and I are at the office and don't have as much time as we'd like to respond ... but we hope to be back this weekend.

And just to reassure everyone, Eddie has been to the Vet for a thorough check up. There are a few issues -- mostly teeth related -- and we are working on that. So I suppose the whimpering could be related to pain ... but I am also wondering about a desire for affection.

I do not know his past as he was rescued from a pound. However, something tells me that he may had a very loving home at one time ... as he is very well behaved and minds commands. But I really don't know the specifics or how he came to be at the pound.

I do try not to encourage the whimpering. My response is a gentle but firm ... "No need to cry, Eddie. No crying." When I mentioned that I reassure him ... I did not intend to relate the two. I make sure to do any reassuring at different times of the day ... and in response to no particular act on his part. And, of course, I do praise good behavior.

I might add that I do my part to have as regular a schedule as possible. But still, we have a bit of separation anxiety to work through ... although improvement is being made even there. At first just picking up the car keys caused him anxiety. So ... I began picking them up even when not leaving ... and now the car keys don't seem to bother him. But I've discovered that car keys and coat in combination still bother him ... so now it's time to work on that!

I hope to be back on this weekend. And ... I hope I can be a contributor as well ... ... and not just ask for advice. Of course, I'm not an expert. Perhaps for that reason ... I always appreciate the advice of those who know.

Thanks again to all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts