Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’m looking for some advice please, my beagle Koda just doesn’t seem bothered about food/eating. We have switched up his diet to see if he’s just bored or not enjoying it anymore, we are now using tails and he seems to be enjoying it compared to what we used to feed him, but even then it’s a challenge to get him to have his daily amount of food, he is currently getting 150g of meat and two cups a day (if he eats it all) I get the impression the is very picky, there’s no change in his character, he will eat his treats, but I worry about him as he’s already quite lean and don’t want him to lose weight, some days he can look quite skinny because he’s refusing to eat meals, I also have a vets appointment coming up where I will get advice from them too. How much does everyone else feed their beagles? Koda is 1 year & 4 months old.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My pup who just turned 1 year old eats 2 1/2 cups of his food daily plus treats. And he always wants more. He would eat all day if I let him. He’s a bit on the thin side, but that’s because I won’t feed him more. This dog eats cardboard boxes, the stuffing out of pillows, leaves and grass…. a beagle that doesn’t want to eat is prob sick. I hope the vet can help you out!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
A lean dog is a healthy dog. We get too used to seeing fat dogs and think that's a good thing. It's not. That is a LOT of food, you are feeding him. I feed my adult 62 pound German Shepherd 1 & 3/4 cups of kibble per day. Natty Boh, who weighs about 26 pounds get 3/4 of a cup a day.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
You can try adding some low sodium canned green beans as a filler that has hardly any calories.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Xerxes gets 140g of Acana grain-inclusive/day.

He too has a passion for cardboard tubes, but we're trying to avoid that as he's having some health issues (incontinence; my husband has vetoed cardboard 'just in case').

Xerxes is 16" and 24-25lbs. Very slender. He tends to surf the 'any weight loss and it'd be too much' line but I like him lean. He's healthy.

Reactions: Natty Boh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I had a vets appointment with Koda and she said he was a perfect weight and I shouldn’t be concerned, he just likes to graze on his food but he has no health concerns 🙂

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
My dog was a very picky eater..i tried multiple brands and variations but she wouldnt eat them.. i took the bags to my local pet shelter... i think they thought I was some benefactor...lol
Not until I bought a food called Freshpet which is more like canned food that comes in a roll and found in the refrigerated section of the pet food store. I doubt you can find that brand where you are but maybe something like it is available.

·
Registered
Nash
16 Posts
Hey everyone, I’m looking for some advice please, my beagle Koda just doesn’t seem bothered about food/eating. We have switched up his diet to see if he’s just bored or not enjoying it anymore, we are now using tails and he seems to be enjoying it compared to what we used to feed him, but even then it’s a challenge to get him to have his daily amount of food, he is currently getting 150g of meat and two cups a day (if he eats it all) I get the impression the is very picky, there’s no change in his character, he will eat his treats, but I worry about him as he’s already quite lean and don’t want him to lose weight, some days he can look quite skinny because he’s refusing to eat meals, I also have a vets appointment coming up where I will get advice from them too. How much does everyone else feed their beagles? Koda is 1 year & 4 months old.
My beagle of 17 years was named Koda, as well. We had to put him down last year and he was the best dog. Have you noticed he’s eating grass or has runny stools? He may just have an upset stomach since they tend to eat whatever they find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My dog was a very picky eater..i tried multiple brands and variations but she wouldnt eat them.. i took the bags to my local pet shelter... i think they thought I was some benefactor...lol
Not until I bought a food called Freshpet which is more like canned food that comes in a roll and found in the refrigerated section of the pet food store. I doubt you can find that brand where you are but maybe something like it is available.
My beagle of 17 years was named Koda, as well. We had to put him down last year and he was the best dog. Have you noticed he’s eating grass or has runny stools? He may just have an upset stomach since they tend to eat whatever they find.
My Beagle lived for 14+ years and was in perfect health most of his life. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of overfeeding and he gained too much weight, developing congestive heart problems. After refusing food for 11 days he went into a coma and had to go over "Rainbow Bridge". After losing him, I promised to warn any Beagle Owner about over feeding. I keep his ashes in my bedroom in a little cedar chest on the dresser..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts