Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beagle comment on CBS Early Show

Hi,
I'm brand new to this site as of today. I had been watching the CBS Early Show this morning. They were doing a story about a video on You Tube showing a beagle escaping from his pen. Maggie Rodriguez, the host, made a comment stating it was surprising beacause beagles are one of the dumbest breeds of dogs. I was irate over her comment and immediately emailed CBS. Did anyone else see it? Sorry to be negative on my first posting but having had four beagles I totally disagree with her comment.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Beagle comment on CBS Early Show

I didn't see the show but, from experience, I know beagles can out think a lot of people.
Sometimes we just have to consider the source of dumb comments.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Criminal masterminds but masterminds all the same.

I can remember when newsreaders were trained journalists, perhaps with experience of war zones and trade union disputes behind them, and then the criteria became concentrated on who they considered telegenic, figuring that they could somehow train an attaractive Barbie to read an autocue. I believe it is known as dumbing down.

Fact of the matter is that people confuse stubbornness with a lack of intelligence. Its not that they can't learn, just that there are a million interesting smells getting in the way of their concentration and they really just can't be bothered to Leave, Sit or Stay.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

I didn't see the show either but I don't think any breed of dog should be called dumb, especially the beagle! I always say that when it comes to being bad Caesar is a genius. If theres something to escape from, a toy to steal or food to get...he'll find a way.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

First of all - welcome to BeagleWorld! Be sure to tell us all about you and your four beagles (we like pictures too)!!

I didn't see the comment on CBS but it doesn't surprise me (although, like you, it does make me angry) as we are always getting that kind of comment about our three beagles (along with the fat comments...). I think DJ Shep put it perfectly - people confuse stubbornness with a lack of intelligence and therefore consider the blindly obedient type of dog as being much more intelligent than an independent thinker like a beagle. They clearly haven't spent any time with beagles (and therefore experienced being outsmarted by them!) so they just don't get it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Originally Posted By: SandyjI didn't see the show but, from experience, I know beagles can out think a lot of people.
Sometimes we just have to consider the source of dumb comments.
AMEN!!

Welcome, btw, introduce yourself in the introduction forum! I'm sure the rest of the members would love to know a little bit about your Beagle.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

I saw that video of that smart little beagle yesterday. I didn't see the CBS show or hear that woman's comment. However, I think I can safely judge which creature of the two is smarter.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Beagles are often called dumb by people who don't know better because they are often hard to train, because they won't keep their noses off the ground. My beagle is very intelligent and is a great example of the breed - she is not supposed to be biddable, like a border collie or golden retriever, she is bred to scent and that instinct is supposed to be very strong.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts

Welcome to beagle world. Looking forward to hearing all about your beagles past and present.
Take no notice of people who call dogs dumb, they dont have a clue.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts

I didn't see it but thank you for emailing them!!! If I can find a clip and watch it, I will email them too..

Beagles are the ones that help keep airports safe - as well as many other wonderful jobs. Ignorant woman!!

By the way, welcome to Beagle World

·
Registered
16 Posts

Wow What a smart adorable little thing!! How amazed would you be if you set up that camera... (thinking someone kept letting him out) and saw that!!! I love that!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Beagles are VERY intelligent dogs, along with stubborn and willful. They are independent thinkers. You give a beagle a command aka request, they decided whether to obey.

The only thing stupid about beagles is the comments from people don't have a clue.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts

I didn't see it and am glad, it would have made me mad too.

I know first hand that Beagles are very smart. Who else could manipulate grown human beings into obeying their every command? The Beagle of course!! Ours do anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts