Our Beagle World Forums banner

Beagle chews at night

772 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Redfishabluefish 
#1 ·
I have a blue tick beagle maybe around 3 years old (adopted as a stray in 9/2019). She is outside in a fenced in yard for hours a day at her request. She is crate trained and loves her crate. I have started letting her and my other dog be in my room at night. Went great for about 3 weeks. She has now started chewing holes in my comforter, chewing a swim suit she found, tried a shoe. How do I stop this behavior? She has an array of chew toys all day and in my room at night. Would a walk be different than free run of a backyard? I’m new to beagles. Thanks.

#2 ·
First of all it's great your dog loves the crate. I would go back to when things were working fine. Take the crate out of the bedroom and crate the dog at night. Wonder if the chewing on your things is some stress behavior . But I wouldnt let that continue or the dog is going to think its ok. My dog loves the crate too. It is funny how they do change behaviors.. my dog went from sleeping in the crate with the door closed to sleeping in a dog bed on my bed... now she's back to sleeping in the crate without needing to close the door. Give your dog blankets or towels to sleep with. My dog is 8.8yrs now so the mischief stage is passed. Have you taken your dog to an obedience class? The class is as much for you as the dog. A dog running around the yard all day doesn't teach anything. Talk to your dog a lot and work on commands. You might try some clicker training. Get a clicker at the petstore and watch YouTube videos on how to use one. Stay on the forum for advice from others. Hope you post pictures. Cassie says hi...

#3 ·
Thanks! The crate is in the living room. I tried having her sleep (Penny) in the crate last night by my other dog stayed out (other dog doesn’t destroy and doesn’t like her crate). She cried on and off for an hour. I’ll keep trying it to see if it gets better. Next step is to see if the other dog in her crate next to Penny would help her calm down. I’ve tried training her but it hasn’t been too successful. She can and sometimes will sit. Does NOT want her feet touched. She was very scared when I got her so she has come a long way. I wish I had a good dog park with agility toys to try but I don’t nearby. Penny and Molly say “hi”!

#4 ·
Cute pictures.. do try the clicker. The sound of the click plus a treat is a reward. The click sound reinforces the good behavior. Your dog some good training to overcome whatever was previously learned. Think of your dog as a puppy and go back to square one. Again i do highly recommend a good obedience class. Some police k9 groups offer training. My dog went to a class taught by sheriff k9 officers. Best class ever.

#5 · (Edited)
I looked up trainers around me. Silly question but what did you learn from training? I’ve done the puppy classes (not with her as I got her older than a puppy) and it taught me and her how to do basic commands. I have taught Penny those and she has responded ok. How does training help destructive behavior? Sorry I’m new to this type of personality in a dog. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.