Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we were preparing to choose a dog, we bought what we thought was a nice dog bed: It's two pieces. The bottom half is an oval made of foam with "raised sides" so the dog can lay up against it and feel cozy-ily safe. The middle is a big, fat pillow. The pillow is washable, and and the base has a removable, washable cover.

Watson LOVED his bed from the first moment he laid in it.

Off-topic: he's become such a fastidious little fellow that he no longer deigns to lie on the floor like . . . well, like an animal. No, he lies in his bed . . . or on a blanket . . . or on a pillow. Such is is place in the household. Here's an example: Last weekend I lay down on the sofa to take a nap, and wanted to join me. But he WOULD NOT lie beside me -- no, no, no. No, he wanted to lie on the pillow -- the small pillow on which I was laying my head. I couldn't nap with the dog on my head. So I laid out a blanket, and he jumped right on that and cuddled up next to me.

Little upstart fuddy-duddy.

The problem:

When we first got him, before he was neutered, he -- how to say this nicely? Oh, I can't: He used the bed as his girlfriend. And he was a rough fellow. He'd begin by "digging" at the pillow, he'd yank the bed across the room a couple times . . . and for the finale, he'd, um . . . copulate with the pillow. My husband and I laughed and laughed, and our 17 year old just about died of embarassment.

Yep, couldn't get him to the neutering place fast enough.

He has stopped this behavior, but he's still rough on the bed. 2-3 days a week we come home from work to find that he's been chewing at the base of his dog bed. He's made a hole in the removable covering, and he "digs" down into the foam, tearing pieces out. 2-3 days a week the living room floor is covered with bite-sized bits of foam.

We took the base away, leaving just the pillow, which is an acceptable dog bed on its own -- though not as nice as the two-piece item. He was clearly upset. He'd lie on the pillow, get up, walk around sniffing, as if to say, "Used to be more. Where did it go?" And five minutes later, he'd do the same thing.

But we gave it back, fearing that if he doesn't have his bed to destroy, he might move on to something else -- like my sofa throw cushions, which have also taken a bit of his abuse.

He's getting time outside, and he's getting a good, long walk every evening -- okay, it's been skimpy these last couple days because it's been raining cats and dogs. I do see a correlation between his exercise and his bed-chewing.

I've heard that Beagles can be destructive.
He doesn't do it every day.
I guess I'm just looking for experiences, ideas, thoughts?

And a separate question:
I'm going to have to replace the bed. Being of a frugal -- okay, downright cheapskate -- nature, I won't do it until this bed's nothing but a rag, but what kind of bed is best? I don't want to buy another bed just to see it chewed up, and I don't wish to replace it again and again and again.

·
Registered
462 Posts
What you describe is typical Beagle behavior. I have some bad news for you...our Lucky went through 4 beds before we gave up. It was just reported here that Miss Cassie has finally made friends with a bed after I think she abused maybe 5?
So perhaps one day when yours is a little older his bed will not be an object of destruction. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Oh my gosh. That made me laugh so hard. Count me in on the "gave up on beds" group. Boh cannot have anything with stuffing, because nothing is quite so much fun and tearing a hole and pulling out all the stuffing. Boh sleeps on the couch or someones' bed during the day. At night he sleeps in his crate. Currently, he has a towel in there. He also had a fleece blanket, until he decided to tear and eat bits of it. I removed the blanket a while ago. I'm hoping he is over that behavior and I can put the blanket back in for the winter.

I must share my own humping story. In our case, it wasn't the hound, it was the rabbit. Our male rabbit was a humping machine, until we had him neutered. He loved to hump balls - soccer balls, volley balls, but the worst was the miniature beach ball. The beach ball was his favorite. The children had brought the beach ball home from summer Bible School. Printed on the ball was, "Jesus Loves Me." Humping the Jesus Loves Me beach ball was just wrong on so many levels.

·
Super Moderator
5,010 Posts
Molly was a bed ripper for the first few months we had her and I kept buying her cheap beds. Then I found one at a local pet store that is made out of sort of a canvas material but its padded and comfy, also pretty stain resistant. This site has similar ones:

Welcome to www.k9ballistics.com - Strongest Chew Proof Dog Beds

Carhartt also has chew proof beds.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
What you describe is typical Beagle behavior. I have some bad news for you...our Lucky went through 4 beds before we gave up. It was just reported here that Miss Cassie has finally made friends with a bed after I think she abused maybe 5?
So perhaps one day when yours is a little older his bed will not be an object of destruction. Good luck!
Cassie here, are you guys talking about ME? Yah, that's right, I'm on my 6th bed. I chewed up all the others and turned the room into a sea of cotton balls more than once!...lol

I'm 2 1/2 and good now with my soft, cushy, pretty bed.

Mom says save your money for now...get a kiddy molded plastic pool and throw a bunch of towels in it and make that the bed...

:D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I got a good laugh out of this one as well. Been down that road also. With it getting colder here I thought for sure we could try a nice soft warm bed again. Autumn on the other hand decided to chew it while there are 10 toys in there as well. I decided to wash that one and give it to the cat. Then I had an old quilt. I am not that crafty but I made 4 nice crate sized pads out of the old quilt. Would you believe I am starting to see pieces of cotton in her bed from her chewing it up. Guess she's going to have to stick with an old towel again this winter. Yes definitely save your money. lol

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ah yes. Buddy had a certain "affection" for his bed also. It happened when he was little but didn't last long. Now all he does is fluff it up and sleep. When I have to replace it it because he's torn it with his nails, not from chewing. His current one is several years old.

I do have a video of him "Playing" with his bed. I'd post it but I'm not sure it would be appropriate. :eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
My beagle did the same thing with her first two beds (digging and ripping the stuffing out) and we just left her go. At a sporting goods store we picked up an identical bed to the one described by T514. Here is a pic:

She now mainly only sleeps in it, but still does try to dig in it and pull it out into the middle of our living room once in a while. We just simply always stop her right away and tell her no, and then she listens until the next day for the most part. I'm sure if we didn't crate her during the day while we are gone, it would get ripped up though along with other stuff. We crate our beagle when no one is home for up to 7 or 8 hours, usually only a couple hours though, and watch over her like a hawk when at home basically preventing her from getting into any trouble. Hopefully within another year or so it will stick without correcting her as much.

Anyway when we first introduced the bed to her; Because of past behavior with previous beds, we waited till she was sleeping on the couch and then got it out next to the couch and slid her down into it. She took to it right away and pretty much continued sleeping. We did that several nights in a row, and then started leaving it out all the time. I think having her simply sleep in the bed several nights in a row, before she got a chance to play with it or tear it apart got her in the habit of using it as a bed rather than a play toy. Now she jumps down into it almost every night after she has had her fill of cuddling on the couch first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh my, humping a Jesus Loves Me beach ball is definitely wrong on multiple levels!

Snowbrdr, That looks just like our bed. Or, more truthfully, it looks like our bed used to look. And your dog looks so much like our Watson -- darker than most Beagles with a thin white blaze on his face.

I think I'll buy him one more bed after this one's gone, and if he destroys that one, no more for him.

However, I also have a fear: If he doesn't have his bed, which is easy to destroy, will he look to something I value? For example, my sofa?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Oh my, humping a Jesus Loves Me beach ball is definitely wrong on multiple levels!

Snowbrdr, That looks just like our bed. Or, more truthfully, it looks like our bed used to look. And your dog looks so much like our Watson -- darker than most Beagles with a thin white blaze on his face.

I think I'll buy him one more bed after this one's gone, and if he destroys that one, no more for him.

However, I also have a fear: If he doesn't have his bed, which is easy to destroy, will he look to something I value? For example, my sofa?
i said one more bed 6 times...lol Do watch your valuables, decorator pillows. One thing to keep in mind is they don't know what YOUR valuables are,,,they just think its play stuff to chew and destroy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i said one more bed 6 times...lol Do watch your valuables, decorator pillows. One thing to keep in mind is they don't know what YOUR valuables are,,,they just think its play stuff to chew and destroy.
Try my new lady lumps holder and my new jumper. They were on the ironing board.

Ella and Harry are the same, they have basically destroyed their kennel with chewing and will chew anything they can reach. However, their blanket in their crate is untouched. I think like Snowbrdr said, they have only ever been taught that the crate is where you are calm and relaxed and sleeping. They only go in there at night or when they need a nap break from each other during the day. Maybe keep a ruined one for the day time and when he is super sleepy, teach him to use the other one.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I failed to mention that Cassie managed to chew up all the patio cushions the first year:D....cotton balls over the whole yard. I couldn't even afford to replace the same cushions since they were so expensive:no:...had to go with a lesser version and she's not destroyed them. Bottom line it gets better with time.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I went thru a stuffed mattress style bed each week until I wised up! Winnie would rip the stuffing out and eat it..... just like she does with stuffed toys. No more of either..... EVER.

I bought on-line 4 dozen CHEAP white all cotton bath towels...... the kind used in cheap motels. They cost about $2-3 each. Pretty non-toxic as they have no synthetic material or dye. Winnie will slowly chew at them even though I "firmly" tell her NO! when I catch her. She has not gotten over it, but $2 is much better than $16 for the mattress thing. It is actually fun watching her go thru her nightly ritual of arranging the towel in her crate JUST SO before sleeping on it. She does the same arranging ritual on the one in her play pen....

·
Registered
22 Posts
When we were preparing to choose a dog, we bought what we thought was a nice dog bed: It's two pieces. The bottom half is an oval made of foam with "raised sides" so the dog can lay up against it and feel cozy-ily safe. The middle is a big, fat pillow. The pillow is washable, and and the base has a removable, washable cover.

Watson LOVED his bed from the first moment he laid in it.

Off-topic: he's become such a fastidious little fellow that he no longer deigns to lie on the floor like . . . well, like an animal. No, he lies in his bed . . . or on a blanket . . . or on a pillow. Such is is place in the household. Here's an example: Last weekend I lay down on the sofa to take a nap, and wanted to join me. But he WOULD NOT lie beside me -- no, no, no. No, he wanted to lie on the pillow -- the small pillow on which I was laying my head. I couldn't nap with the dog on my head. So I laid out a blanket, and he jumped right on that and cuddled up next to me.

Little upstart fuddy-duddy.

The problem:

When we first got him, before he was neutered, he -- how to say this nicely? Oh, I can't: He used the bed as his girlfriend. And he was a rough fellow. He'd begin by "digging" at the pillow, he'd yank the bed across the room a couple times . . . and for the finale, he'd, um . . . copulate with the pillow. My husband and I laughed and laughed, and our 17 year old just about died of embarassment.

Yep, couldn't get him to the neutering place fast enough.

He has stopped this behavior, but he's still rough on the bed. 2-3 days a week we come home from work to find that he's been chewing at the base of his dog bed. He's made a hole in the removable covering, and he "digs" down into the foam, tearing pieces out. 2-3 days a week the living room floor is covered with bite-sized bits of foam.

We took the base away, leaving just the pillow, which is an acceptable dog bed on its own -- though not as nice as the two-piece item. He was clearly upset. He'd lie on the pillow, get up, walk around sniffing, as if to say, "Used to be more. Where did it go?" And five minutes later, he'd do the same thing.

But we gave it back, fearing that if he doesn't have his bed to destroy, he might move on to something else -- like my sofa throw cushions, which have also taken a bit of his abuse.

He's getting time outside, and he's getting a good, long walk every evening -- okay, it's been skimpy these last couple days because it's been raining cats and dogs. I do see a correlation between his exercise and his bed-chewing.

I've heard that Beagles can be destructive.
He doesn't do it every day.
I guess I'm just looking for experiences, ideas, thoughts?

And a separate question:
I'm going to have to replace the bed. Being of a frugal -- okay, downright cheapskate -- nature, I won't do it until this bed's nothing but a rag, but what kind of bed is best? I don't want to buy another bed just to see it chewed up, and I don't wish to replace it again and again and again.
couldn't hurt: did you try elk bones, or yak bones. My dogs can't get enough of these, and they LAST a long time. As for beds, I buy cheap comforters and fold them, easy to wash.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts