Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beagle George used to love to cuddle and would burrow under all the blankets. One of his favorite things to do. He burrow in the middle of summer on a 90 day. A few weeks ago we noticed him gaining weight and panting. We took him to the vet and found out he no longer has thyroid function. He is on medication and his levels are now normal, he has returned to hunting voles and chipmunks in our yard, but he no longer cuddles....he will come up on the bed but almost immediately jumps down. He has begin to sleep on the floor next to our bed......he NEVER did that before. If you lay next to him he leaves almost immediately. He no longer burrows. Our vet says this is just old age but it seems more than that to me. He says the panting and jumping down is just old age pain. George is only 7. Any one else experience this?

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
If he is on meds and not feeling so great he could be hot, uncomfortable and maybe a bit cranky. Have you looked up the side effects of the meds he is on? That could be part of it.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
What did the vet say about his cardiac function? What medication was prescribed? And did YOU actually review all the lab results or just told by the vet? Nothing like giving it your own inspection. My dog slept on the bed than one day she went to her crate..frankly i prefer that so I dont accidently wake her at night.
You could also consider a second opinion at a vet hospital..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What did the vet say about his cardiac function? What medication was prescribed? And did YOU actually review all the lab results or just told by the vet? Nothing like giving it your own inspection. My dog slept on the bed than one day she went to her crate..frankly i prefer that so I dont accidently wake her at night.
You could also consider a second opinion at a vet hospital..
He did nothing with cardiac....I did see the results he only tested for thyroid function....he was literally at 0 thyroid function....George sleeps right next to our bed like he wants to be in it, but it seems like something stops him...he comes to bed and tries to sleep in it but in a few minutes he starts to pant and jumps down....Do you think this is cardia related?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dog used to burrow under the blankets but doesn’t anymore. But she is 16 years old now. I’m not sure how old she was when she stopped burrowing, but she was older. She still likes sleeping in bed with me most nights though, and she also has thyroid problems! It’s annoying because she will be shaking because she is cold, so I’ll stuff her under the blanket, but she doesn’t like that anymore so she’ll come out from under the blanket, cuddle next to me, and start shaking again haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts