Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's happened again....a beagle break! My husband says it's his fault, but has not fessed up to how it came about. All I know is that last week, I hear him yell "their out!!!" I came running and said "which way did they go?" And he says "in the back yard". Great directions. Anyway, I took off the way Cecil often heads when she has escaped...thru the bushes and back yards. When I see a neighbor I say "have my beagles come thru here? They don't bite and if you get a chance, grab one" Then I continue calling them. Hubby seems to think the truck is the way to find them...Yeah, right...beagles go scenting and running thru hedges, shrubs and anywhere a rabbit might go. Anyway, up pops Cecil thinking we are all having a grand time of it. Richard drives up and gets out with a smelly treat and we retrieve her, put her harness on her and hook her in the truck for him to drive around looking for Brandy. I then head on down like we do on our walks and come across another neighbor 4 houses down (acre plus lots) who tells me the girls were together in his back yard (right behind our house), but that they broke up (Cecil coming to me). I asked which way the other one went and he pointed and told me she left a couple of minutes before. I head that way and sure enough Brandy is spotted. Hubby spots her too and gets out of his truck to try to get her. She, of course, runs on. A group of about 5 teenagers were hanging out in front of the yard Brandy ran into and asked if they could help. I told them "of course, I can use any help, but don't scare her." Well, with 5 kids running after her, she decided it was time to bolt and headed down the street (on the grassy side of the road) and made a right turn onto our street. When I caught up with her, she was leaning against our back sliding door panting. What an adventure! My neighbors have now have named our escapes "Beagle Breaks" and always ask if we have had one. At one time or another at least 15 or so of our neighbors have helped retreive them. I am so glad we live way back in the subdivision and have wonderful neighbors. The girls seem to think we live in a big dog park full of rabbits, which is true. Anyway this is the latest adventure for Cecil and Brandy.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Glad it was a good ending, good neighbors are a must when you own beagles. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one that has a runner when the Beagle gets lose. Scout has gotten off leash 2 times (dropped the leash once, and the other the leash unhooked somehow). Each time she realizes she is free and decides its not a game to get her back. So she makes me chase her. It really stresses me out because there are cars and things she just doesn't understand. Also I feel bad running around someone else's yard.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have lost track of Boomer's escapes,but it's getting close to twenty. Lately though it's been the older two adventuring and Boomer staying home /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/alien1.gif Glad you have such good neighbors, and glad everyone is home safe and sound.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Shew! Glad you got both the girls back safely!

Our 2 have got out a few times together, but luckily were rounded up right away. I keep the back yard in such a "Fort Knox" type of safty and lock up. My hubbie makes fun of it and says it is like Fort Knox. I have a wire electric fence and both gates are locked from the inside. We are lucky to have a large fenced in back yard.

Do your girls still enjoy their playpen outdoors?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts