Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MisterJim's comment about Marley & Me (which I agree is a great book) made me think of the number of beagle biographies which I have read in the past, all of which are also great and are definitely good holiday reading for those of you who haven't read them yet (and just writing this makes me want to pull them all out and read them again!):

- "A Dog Called Perth: The True Story of a Beagle" by Peter Martin

- "For Bea: The Story of the Beagle who Changed My Life", by Kristen Von Kreisler (I love them all, but think this one is probably my favourite)

- "What the Dog Did", by Emily Yoffe

- "Barney, the Stray Beagle who Became a TV Star and Stole our Hearts", by Dick Wolfsie

I looked today and all of these are still available on Amazon.com - I've never seen any of them in bookstores and found them all just by aimlessly searching (probably when I should have been working... like now).

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any others out there which I haven't come across yet?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Oh my.....with vacation coming up in a coupla' weeks.....I'm heading STRAIGHT to Amazon!!
(they love me, I'm a regular there... :rolleye11: )

Thanks for the info on those books!
P.s. I'm reposting my pictures of Marley's dad (from 'Marley and Me'); he was in our town for a booksigning late last fall; I found him SO pleasant and down to earth....and I sent one of my Dog E. Dazzle collars home with him for the new dog in their lives)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And speaking of John Grogan, did anyone catch him on the Dog Whisperer getting some advice about their new, post-Marley, dog? It was neat seeing him and his family - after reading the book I felt like I knew them so well!

And continuing with my stream of consciousness today, speaking of the Dog Whisperer, has anyone else noticed that they keep having people on the show with "problem" beagles which turn out to be nothing but normal beagles that their owners just don't understand?! One I saw a while back had a beagle that would make "horrible crying noises" when out on walks - we would all probably call that noise "BAYING". Another one had a beagle that, could you believe it, would not stop running around the back yard WITH ITS NOSE TO THE GROUND. The horror! And they call the Dog Whisperer for these "problems"?!? Cesar was very nice with both owners but effectively told them both that their beagles were - gee - being beagles!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BookerMoose:
And speaking of John Grogan, did anyone catch him on the Dog Whisperer getting some advice about their new, post-Marley, dog?
I saw that! During the speech he gave at the book signing, he referred to the family's current dog (Gracie?)....and laughed as he described her antics as "almost boring" compared to Marley.

Of course, ANY dog would seem mild compared to Marley's hyper-activity-disorder! :hi:

BTW, I just got back from Amazon....they now possess some more of my money....but I have some great new entertaining beagle stories on the way :read:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I will have to write down these titles. I am always enjoying reading, (although taking 5 classes per term leaves not much room for reading) but I will enjoy getting some of them and reading them in between--- or just to relax when I dont feel like studying..
Judi
PS-I have seen the Dog Whisperer shows with beagles too---and even my hubby said the same thing-they arent being bad--they are beagles-- wonder what Cesar said, and of course Cesar didnt have much to say about fixing it, other than just a few things. So I know my beagles are normal too!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've read all the mentioned books, loved each one, and kept three of them to read again at some point.

If you're "ahem" thrifty, as I am, here's a thought. My library system has a great new tool that allows me to search for books throughout the whole system online, reserve them, and have them sent to my local library. I have a whole list to order when I'm through with my present batch. :read: For once, I can save money without going broke doing it. :bounce:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I love Marley & Me! And guess what...Caesar chewed my book! :rolleyes: I found it strangely appropriate. I'll have to find the beagle books mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I've read the first 3 books you mentioned, BookerMoose, and enjoyed them all. "Barney" I haven't been able to find at the library yet and may have to break down and visit Amazon! :read:

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I have also heard that Amazing Gracie is a great book (although it is not about a beagle). Marley & Me is my favourite book and I am actually reading it for a 2nd time right now. I will have to check those others out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts