Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 5 yr old beagle (male, non-neutered) named Blue. Last week I got a 1 and 1/2 yr old male St bernard named Homer. I have had 2 dogs before and never really had a problem. But these two dogs do not get along. They are constantly barking at each other and if they get close, they growl, bite and fight pretty ferociously.
We are getting Homer neutered tomorrow. Right now we are just keeping them separated to keep the peace.

Any advice on how to get them to get along? I really would like to keep the SB, but if the 2 dogs can't work things out, Homer will have to go.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Two non-neutered males can be problematic. Neutering Homer might help, but it takes awhile for the testosterone to work out of the system of an adult dog. Neutering both dogs might help even more but, once again, it may take awhile for hormonal changes.

We have 2 male dogs, and they get along fine. However, the oldest was already neutered when the younger one took up residence, and we neutered the younger one as soon as he was old enough. Neither reached adult status before being neutered.

Dogs have to work out the pack order but, with the size difference between a beagle, I'd be concerned about what could happen if there's serious fighting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.