Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a 6 yr + female beagle to add to my fur family. She is not really terrific with my 2 yr old beagle who is neutered. But probably his fault because he is pushy. My main problem is how she is reacting to my cats. I have four, two are seniors and two are 6 yr old. They are very used to dogs and curious about the newcomer, but she is snappy, and I am afraid she might hurt them. I would like to know if anyone has a solution for getting her to ignore them.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would keep her on leash - even if she's just dragging it - so you can grab her and intercede if necessary. And I would train 'leave it' to use with the cats. Is she chasing them I assume?

Neb and Xerxes are both wary of cats, Agis (now 17mos) did chase the cats when we first brought him home. We'd intervene, and he learned. We also have gates with cat doors in them so that the cats can get away from the dogs if they choose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have her on a leash now because she was just spayed and is restricted on exercise I just took her and Sammy, my other beagle outside to go potty. I did not see the cat had been out on the patio. Sammy ran to the cat and Wendy followed and scuffled with the cat knocking him over. It was my senior cat. I ran over and grabbed the leash and the cat went into the house and jumped up on a high place.The only thing I can see is that he had some wet spots from where she grabbed him and tuffs of loose hair. He did not appear to be hurt. But I got to him in seconds.I tugged the loose tuffs off of the cat and petted him and he started purring. Lucky this time. It is scary because he is old. I have had dogs and cats for years and never had one that was so interested in instigating things. It must be the beagle breed. When I got her from the previous owner he said she would take care of any rabbits if they were in the yard! YIKES! When the vet cleaned her very dirty teeth thick with tarter she said there was a lot of hair in it. Maybe she caught and ate rabbits?!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,
I also have a senior cat (11 and female) and when we first got Belle as a pup their relationship was not great...
Barking, hissing, swiping of paws, chasing, you name it, it happened! But now, with Belle at 2 and a half they can lay next to each other by the heater, sniff noses, and act civil! I personally think it just takes some time for both pets to become used to one another. One thing I did to speed this up was getting our cat her favourite treats, and Belle's treats and making them sit next to each other whist feeding them both. Initially I had Belle on a leash, but once they were used to each other I didn't need one. The pets then learn that when they are near each other good things happen, but this also teaches the Beagle that when they don't chase/harass the cat, they get rewarded.
I hope this helps! Good luck.

- Zoe (The Hooman) & Belle (The Boss)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
I also have a senior cat (11 and female) and when we first got Belle as a pup their relationship was not great...
Barking, hissing, swiping of paws, chasing, you name it, it happened! But now, with Belle at 2 and a half they can lay next to each other by the heater, sniff noses, and act civil! I personally think it just takes some time for both pets to become used to one another. One thing I did to speed this up was getting our cat her favourite treats, and Belle's treats and making them sit next to each other whist feeding them both. Initially I had Belle on a leash, but once they were used to each other I didn't need one. The pets then learn that when they are near each other good things happen, but this also teaches the Beagle that when they don't chase/harass the cat, they get rewarded.
I hope this helps! Good luck.

- Zoe (The Hooman) & Belle (The Boss)
My senior is almost 17 now, but he doesn't act it and still smacks the other cats around when he feels like it. I guess you could say the cat is the Alpha that Wendy got in a scuffle with. It just scares me that the previous owner said she kills rabbits. I just sat down with the two of them, Wendy on a leash. Jackson was on the couch where I sat down. Wendy focused on the cat and sort of stalked him with her stance and eyes. I jerked her leash and said no, and let her smell my hand that was petting the cat. Hopefully I can keep peace and lives. Thanks for the info in your case. I will keep trying. I hate to give up on an animal and have already spent so much money getting her vetted and healthy. The man did say he would take her back if it didn't work out, but I am not sure the home was the best for her. One thing going for her is that she is not a big dog like a german shepherd or pitbull, so I should be able to become pack leader.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
How you introduce a new pet makes a big difference in how they get along. I would confine your beagle to a space - for example, the kitchen - where they are not alone, but can not get to the cats. This way he can see the cats - and their interactions with you - and meet through the barrier. Beagles have a strong prey drive, but it is all about how you have them define 'pack' and 'non-pack' (think 2 year old toddler simplistic, and based on observed behavior). For example, Sophie has actually joined the cats in hunting chipmunks and mice, yet she raised an orphaned kitten (although she was not left alone with it until it was nearly an adult). It takes a while, but he will learn. Just make sure that the cats always have an escape route - and that you feed them completely separately (my cats eat on the upper reaches of their cat tree - means more cleaning, but worth it). My senior (16 year old) cat cuddles with Sophie, as did the cat we lost when he was 21 years old. Patience is the key - it will not happen quickly, but it will happen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: First off, I changed Wendy's name. I tried a few different names, and she responded to Ruby right off the bat! It really surprised me, but the previous owner seemed baffled when I told him she did not respond to Wendy. He calls from time to time to check up on her, which I told him he could do when I adopted her. The cat problem seems solved. I kept her on a leash and anytime she reacted to the cat nearby I would tug the leash and tell her NO leave it. Now she is no longer on a leash and just ignores them. Thank God for that. It was a big worry for me. Our other beagle likes to chase them but never hurts them and they sort of think he is a jerk the way they do not even react to him. I did notice that Sam goes berserk when a feral walks past our large window. So I think you were right in saying she needed to accept them as part of her "pack" family. Thanks to the ones who responded. I took advice from all the responses..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That's fantastic @windy - great news! Thanks for the update.

I like the name Ruby. Sounds like she's really settling in.

Reactions: windy
1 - 8 of 8 Posts