Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone! I have a 7 year old beagle (or that we believe is 7...our vet seems to think he is older) that has recently started showing some weird signs of aggression. I have had him since he was a puppy (I answered and FREE beagle puppy ad on Facebook)....anyways what he does now...It is the weirdest thing and even my vet does not know what to do/think...he can be the sweetest thing and then without warning and out of nowhere he becomes so aggression with hair standing up from spine to tail and teeth showing...he has bitten my husband once and tried to bite me...my vet gave me some medication (anxiety and pain med) to give him in hopes it helps but said its his last chance (they said the next step would be euthanasia) because they do not know what is wrong with him and that they have never seen a beagle act like this...has anyone else seen this behavior with their beagle? If so please let me know what you did to help eliminate the behavior...please help I do not want to have to put him down especially when it is not an all the time behavior but I do have a 5 year old at home to think about....

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Wild shot, but has he been checked for seizures? I don't know why I thought of that.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Sorry youre having issues.
1. Did the vet perform a comprehensive exam with labs to rule out health issues. ?
2. Does your dog move stiffly or slowly?
3. Sounds like your dog may be experiencing some pain.
There is a syndrome called "Beagle Pain Syndrome ".. 2 vets never Heard of it

Try googling it..
If thats it then a round of Prednisone would help.
Let us know...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Are there are vets nearby you could get a second opinion from?

Reactions: Cassie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree pain or illness is usually the first cause of aggression in a dog who has not exhibited it before if all other factors (no new animals in the house, no sharing of food etc) are the same.
The suggestion of seizure above made me think of brain tumor.
Signs of brain tumor can be aggression, decreased cognitive function, hearing loss, sight loss, abnormal pupil size, abnormal panting, inability to walk, walking drunk or circling. These signs show the tumor is pressing on certain parts of the brain. Vet should look at the pupils for reactivity and text reflexes, do basic blood work. Secondary would be x-rays, followed by CT or MRI (both of which are very expensive).

Think its wonderful you are being an advocate, we can't expect our vets to know every thing about every breed of every animal. Sometimes, veterinary teaching hospitals will have free clinics also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did the Vet check his teeth? I remember reading about the dog on the TV show Frazier that started biting the actors. It turned out he had an abscessed tooth. If he is in periodic pain, he is probably associating it with the person who is nearest to him and thinking they did something to make him hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts