Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've always been so proud of my beagles for getting along with pretty much almost any dog. They have never shown any signs of aggression towards other dogs at dog parks, doggy day care or while visiting friends with pets. Well, this weekend we went to visit a friend with a dog. My girls were perfect house guests until my friend had a party. All of her guests brought dogs. One guest brought a Brittany Spaniel. And for some reason, my beagles did not like this dog one bit. I mean they growled, barked and even chased the dog at some points. I've NEVER seen either of them act this way. Neither have ever shown any kind of aggression at all. It was very embarrassing and in a way worrisome. I mean, granted, the Brittany Spaniel was very hyper and none of the other dogs seemed to like it either.

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this with your dogs? All of their lives they have been calm then one day they show aggressive tendencies? Anyone have any ideas why my dogs acted this way?

One thought that I had was that it might have something to do with the collar this dog was wearing. It wears one of those training collars that makes different sounds depending on whether the dog has good behavior or bad behavior. If the dog does something wrong, the owner will press this button on a remote and the collar will make an annoying noise. If the dog doesn't stop the behavior, then the owner will press another button which will trigger the collar to shock the dog. Supposedly, it's a mild shock and humane. I don't know. But, do you think that my dogs and the other dogs that didn't like the Brittany sensed the frequencies/shocks from the collar?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
my dog is always aggresive towards other dogs and i dont know why i was always told beagles loved people and other dogs but not mine.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I believe dogs are like people in the social sense. There are some dogs they get along with and others they just don't. If they feel threatened in any way they will display aggression.
There is one, and only one, dog in our neighborhood of many dogs, that our guys go nuts over! I mean that in the worst sense of the word, growling, snarling, snapping. We just turn around whenever we see this dog coming b/c we know it will not be good.
Generally though, we don't have any aggression problems, they go to the dog park and do well, we have doggie friends visit and they are fine, and just recently we added 2 non-beagles to our household and not one sign of aggression.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your comments. I guess that you are right Roscole. Not all humans get along, so it only makes sense that not all dogs do either. But it's still frustrating.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I feel your frustration! My Oprah dislikes about 75% of all dogs, while the other two dogs are fine. UNLESS they are all on leash together (pack) .... and then they act like they will rip the head off of any dog that comes near. So very embarrassing during our neighborhood walks - I believe we've developed a "reputation." :sad:

·
Registered
110 Posts
My two aren't aggressive as such but some other dogs can cause them to bark at them for seemingly no good reason, so I think it is some vibe they are picking up on. Maybe the dog with the special collar wasn't such a happy chappy being zapped every now and then and your two picked up on this state of mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I believe dogs are like people in the social sense. There are some dogs they get along with and others they just don't. If they feel threatened in any way they will display aggression.
There is one, and only one, dog in our neighborhood of many dogs, that our guys go nuts over! I mean that in the worst sense of the word, growling, snarling, snapping. We just turn around whenever we see this dog coming b/c we know it will not be good.
I have to agree... even Ceasar's pack on TV goes into high alert when they encounter an hyper/aggressive/dominant dog and his dogs are probably the best behaved canines on this planet.

I'm not a fan of the shock collar, but I know it works when used correctly. It doesn't really hurt the dog (to my shame, when my old buddies and I get together, our metal state digresses to that of a 5 year old's and we have taken turns shocking one another as a game) but it can cause fear in some which can turn into aggression.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same problem and trying to solve it but in vain. When you receive solution kindly let me know. Thanks in advance... waiting your response!

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thought that I had was that it might have something to do with the collar this dog was wearing. It wears one of those training collars that makes different sounds depending on whether the dog has good behavior or bad behavior.
Hi our Beagle Bobby has seperation anxiety and one of the methods we used to try and sort it was an ultrasonic bark collar this had a negative effect on Bobby so very well could have been that the other dog was wearing one and they were trying to shut it up.

I have never tried and will never try the shock collar though we just can't do it, my car shocks me everytime I get out of it and it is supposed to be similar described as static shock, I don't like it so I'm not going to put Bobby through that!!

Sorry a bit of a rant on the end there

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am glad I stumbled on to this thread. Buddy has always been very friendly to every dog he has come across. When I walk him alone dogs can bark, growl and lunge at him and he ignores them. I have always loved that about him.

However, lately I have noticed that when I am walking him with our Rottweiler, he barks at other dogs and pulls on the leash getting my other dog excited. :confused: What the heck is he doing? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
It seems to me that beagles are more pack-oriented than some other breeds, and they care more about whether another dog "fits in". When we're out and about, my neighbor's Aussie couldn't really care less what other dogs are doing, he just wants you to throw the frisbee. But my dogs are in everybody's business. :)

OP - Maybe it's not that your dogs are aggressive, but more that the poor Spaniel was probably freaked out with the collar and your dogs sensed & reacted to that stress.

One friend of ours has a slightly neurotic terrier cross that my beagles don't like. The only peace to be found in a group situation is when I "take charge" and show the beagles that I expect the terrier to mellow out like all the other dogs, and get him to quit bouncing around. Then the beagles usually do calm down, though they remain watchful.

Hope that helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts