Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new!
My name's Bella, I do not own a beagle but have one lurcher (collie x greyhound), two horses and two cats. Thought I'd introduce myself

We have been interested in looking into rehoming an older beagle for a while now (ages 2+) but have been a bit stuck on where to look! I live in the sussex area in England, not sure if most members here live in the states or not though?

We have researched the breed and know of their quirks, but obviously any advice or more info on them would be much appreciated
We are experienced dog owners, just not beagle owners! We have until up to recently (She passed at age 15 :() owned a basset hound. We had her from a puppy and as you may know they are pretty stubborn dogs, but we did just fine with her and had her for fifteen years! At the moment, as I said at the top, we own a lurcher who is 7ish.

Thanks very much!
x

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to beagle world. There are quite a few members from the UK who might be able to help you find a beagle. Have you asked the RSPCA? Our two are ex research beagles, I dont know whether you have special animal homes that rescue research dogs?
They are a great breed. Good luck with your search. If you read a lots of past messages on this forum you will get a lot of good advice. Any specific questions just ask.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Welcome to BeagleWorld! We have four rescue beagles but are in Canada - I do know some of our members here from the UK have said it is harder to find beagles there than it is in North America, but hopefully they will see your post and have some tips.

As for the basset hound to beagle move, my husband grew up with bassets and loved everything about them (including their stubbornness) except the drooling... he wanted to move to something that still had the houndy traits of the basset but was a little smaller and didn't drool - and the beagle proved to fit the bill perfectly in that regard! Some members here also have both, too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi I am also in the UK.
I have one Beagle but also 3 Bassets.The temprements are very similar but the Bassets are even more stubborn and Naughty.
I have posted contact details for Beagle Welfare and you might also like to check
http://www.freewebs.com/manytearsrescue/dogslookingforhomes.htm
They are based in Wales but do have dogs in foster across the UK.
They quite often have ex puppy farm breeding bitches and stud dogs'
Good luck in your search
Yvonne.

Beagle Welfare Scheme
Lesley Rootham, Re-homing officer, Tel: 0845 478 6317
Di Deakin, Bristol & South West, Tel: 01275 873305
Bob & Chris Cole, Cambs, Norfolk, Northants, Tel: 01945 420553
Denise Close Cumbria, North Lancs Tel: 01524 733573
Clare Clark, Derbyshire, Tel: 01298 70631
Helen Rogers Kent/South London Tel: 01474 872302
Alan & Elaine Hill, Leicestershire, Tel: 01530 814014
Doug & Wendy Hall, Lincolnshire, Tel: 01406 540419
Helen Hatton, Merseyside, Tel: 01925 270274
Sue Fielding, Norfolk, Tel: 01842 861762
Sandy Purves, Edinburgh, Tel: 0131 3341030
Patience Walden, Southern, England Tel: 01420 588532
Lesley Rootham, Central/West Wales, Tel: 01239 698552
Mike & Jackie Williamson, SW Wales, Tel: 01348 831862
Sue Hall, West Sussex, Tel: 01730 815148
Tim James & Angela Ismond, Wiltshire, Tel: 01264 791928

·
Registered
193 Posts
Many Tears have this boy in foster in Surrey

BEING FOSTERED IN EAST MOSELY, SURREY

26-05-09 Gaelic is a very scared little Beagle. He has been a stud dog and never had a home or a family of humans. He is 4 years old and will need a very kind and patient new owner who has another dog for him to copy and learn from.

PLEASE NOTE: Ex-breeding dogs are normally best homed with another dog as they have usually never lived in a house before. They are used to living with other dogs and learn faster with another to copy from. This also helps with house training and learning how to walk on a lead. They will make lovely pets but do need a lot of love, time and patience.

05-06-09 UPDATE

Gaelic our terrified breeding beagle has made a massive turn around and is now a happy and reasonably brave dog, merrily greeting the members of staff that he knows and asking to be stroked. We would still insist that there is a dog already in his new home to teach him about being a pet but we think that he would probably be able to learn quite quickly.

Being fostered in East Mosley, Surrey. Please read our adoption procedures before applying. If you are interested in adopting this dog please complete the Adoption Form. To adopt a dog from Many Tears Animal Rescue you will be home checked and you and all members of your family and any dog(s) who will be living with the dog you want to adopt MUST come to meet the new dog. We ask for a minimum adoption fee of £160 for our foster dogs to help cover our costs. All our dogs are micro-chipped, inoculated and spayed/neutered unless there is a medical reason for not doing so. If adopting a puppy you will need to provide details of training classes in your area. If you have not had a response to your application within 24 hours please call our foster office between 10am and 3pm on 01249 655323.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Originally Posted By: A doghouseWow, Vonny, that is fantastic info.Silverkismet there you go.
I try to help if I can

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much guys, am emailing my dad that advert, as surrey is very near to us and sounds like that boy needs a loving home which we will be able to provide!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!! Best of luck to you in finding that perfect Beagle....although I think they are all perfect

1 - 12 of 12 Posts