Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the crate issue is worse than ever. He now chews/shreds/eats any and all toys and blankets. We have gone through 6. I decided he cannot have anything in there when we are gone anymore. I cant afford to be buying 2-3 beds/blankets a week. Last week I came home from a 30 minute grocery store trip to a bloody dog. he was biting and chewing the crate to get out
I called the vet and he wants me to try anti-anxiety meds (puppy prozac). He also believes that Baxter is having pack order confusion in the household. He believes he leads the pack, therefore we should NOT be leaving him. Im not sure i agree fully with that.Im not sure what to think. Im tired, and hoping that this soon gets better since its getting worse.

I do have to say he is the cutest little turd ever though!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. In my experience, there are some dogs that simply cannot be crated. I have a dog that flat out could not be crate trained. She just went ballistic whenever I put her in there, which was only at night. The crate was in my bedroom, which worked with my other dog, but not her.

I don't know why she couldn't deal with the crate, but I did know that it was causing undue stress for her and for me! I was extremely patient, and lost a LOT of sleep, but it just was not working. I ended up gating her in the kitchen with my other dog, who was well beyond crate training. I felt she needed company, and it worked.

Anyway, I am thinking that Baxter is not ever going to take to the crate. Others may disagree, and say he just needs more training, but I lived it with my dog. It was obvious that she was never going to be able to deal with a crate. (not a beagle BTW.) Do you have any alternatives? A room that can be securely gated? And I hate to suggest it, because I know you are supremely stressed out right now, but perhaps a buddy?....
It's truly amazing the difference between a nutzo only dog and a nutzo dog that has a friend to be with all day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally Posted By: DaisyTheDevilDogI'm sorry you're having such a hard time. In my experience, there are some dogs that simply cannot be crated. I have a dog that flat out could not be crate trained. She just went ballistic whenever I put her in there, which was only at night. The crate was in my bedroom, which worked with my other dog, but not her.

I don't know why she couldn't deal with the crate, but I did know that it was causing undue stress for her and for me! I was extremely patient, and lost a LOT of sleep, but it just was not working. I ended up gating her in the kitchen with my other dog, who was well beyond crate training. I felt she needed company, and it worked.

Anyway, I am thinking that Baxter is not ever going to take to the crate. Others may disagree, and say he just needs more training, but I lived it with my dog. It was obvious that she was never going to be able to deal with a crate. (not a beagle BTW.) Do you have any alternatives? A room that can be securely gated? And I hate to suggest it, because I know you are supremely stressed out right now, but perhaps a buddy?....
It's truly amazing the difference between a nutzo only dog and a nutzo dog that has a friend to be with all day.
Actually we are thinking about a second dog/animal. But from what I have heard and read it isnt always a fix. And my luck I would get another neuortic dog..LOL
I do have a small area I have been preparing to let him be while I am gone. I just need flooring (dh built a mud room). As I dont want any urine (if he has an accident) to soak into the wood floor.
The crazy thing is he is fine for the hours he is in his crate at night. He willingly goes in and goes right to sleep. no whining/barking/crying.
Thank you for your response! I appreciate it. Clearly people are sick of hearing me whine about this.
I am just so sad over him being so upset.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Denise, we're not sick of hearing about Baxter's progress. BW is a fantastic forum for beagle newbies like you and me to gain valuable insight from veteran members. As for Baxter's dislike of the crate, I can say that you're not alone. Java absolutely hates his crate. The only time he's ok with it is when we're traveling with him. As DaisyTheDevilDog mentioned, not all dogs can be crated. Sounds like Baxter may be one of them. As long as the area you're preparing is secured, Baxter will probably enjoy it a little better--don't be surprised if he still whines and climbs on the enclosure as you're leaving. Also, don't be surprised if Baxter tries to chew his way out--our little guys are REALLY REALLY determined if they want to get out.

Do you have an area outside where you can build a secured dog run? I have one for Java and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY lower his stress level when I'm gone. Sure, he still protests as I'm leaving, but he enjoys the legroom and the distractions outside (boy, all the wonderful smells that the wind brings keeps him occupied).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with the last post. I had no knowledge of the Beagle breed before Stan arrived. The first time I heard a reverse sneezing episode I was really worried something was wrong.
Baxter's still a li'l guy where my Stan is a full grown dog. You're paving the way for us with your updates and his progress. Thanks for the info. (and good luck Baxter!... I love that name)

wallster, Stans dad

·
Registered
250 Posts
i agree with the dog run.. although i dont have a dog run i just let him roam my back yard (fenced in of course). diesel hates the winter cause i have to crate him if the snow starts to fly he cries and whines and cries and whines and so on.

but try a bathroom or kitchen. also leave a tv/radio on so he hears voices and feels like he is not alone... cause you mentioned above that he is ok to go in there at night. im thinking he is ok to go in there because he knows your right there with him.. so try to find things to make him feel like you are there with him and maybe he wont be as stressed...

i also have my cousin come over and wear him out. it gives her a little break after school and him a couple laps around to tire him out. so if you have anyone to check up on him try that too...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Marley's vet begged us never to put anything into the crate while she was alone and never to leave her out of the crate when alone. He had lost too many dogs who swallowed the blankets/toys/bedding etc. He said this after we had tried to train Marley to stay in the kitchen while we were out. We baby proofed the kitchen, but Marley open the office door, dug into my back pack in the office, found a sealed bottle of ibuprofen and ate the lot. The dog walker found her just as she was losing consciousness. Forget the cost of the vet. We almost lost her that day. Yes, she's grown out of the worst of her tasting habit, but we're very careful with the baby proofing. If a 2 year old human can reach/open/destroy it, so can Marley. Now the cats have taught her to jump on table. LOL

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sorry to hear you are still having such stress over Baxter. I dont know whether you live in a house or flat and have a garden (back yard)? A tired beagle is usually a happy beagle, so if you can, take him for a long walk before you leave him. The suggestion of getting someone to walk and play with him is good, if you know someone suitable.
Baxter sleeps in his crate at night, so how about gating off the kitchen but leaving his crate OPEN in the kitchen with him. A radio is also a good idea.
As to the pack leader aspect. It is always important that the owner is leader of the pack. Have you read Cesar Milan's books on being the pack leader? It is his view that one shouldnt make a big deal about leaving or entering the room where the dog is. When you get back from leaving him dont make a huge fuss of him just act like its the most normal thing in the world. Sounds easy but isnt but amazingly it works.
Good luck and never stop asking questions and for help here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts