Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a seminar for puppy potty training, and i stayed after to ask some more questions, and she was petting Baxter and mentioned he was underweight by quite a bit. I have posted pics and a recent video of him here and was wondering if anyone thought he looked too skinny?
I weighed him today and he was 13 pounds. I think he is around 12-13 inches high and he is 5 1/2 months old. he is really leggy imo.
I am feeding him 1/3 a cup of kibble 3X per day, but he always seems hungry (haha).
Here is 2 pics of him from today:

·
Registered
220 Posts
He is 5 months old...that means he's a teenager. And he has the typical teenager figure - slim and slender. He probably has (like most teenagers) a perfect metabolism which lets him eat all he wants without gain weight.
Wait until next year! He will surely have some muscles and a more mature look then.

·
Registered
889 Posts
He doesn't look skinny at all to me! And it sounds like he's getting just the right amount of food. Ours would eat and eat... and eat... and eat if we let them!

PS
He is sooo cute!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
He looks just fine to me. And I have a skinny Beagle.

I wouldn't take what anyone says seriously. Who made them experts? I only listen to what the vet has to say.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree with Eleanor - at 5 months most of mine were very trim - they don't start filling out until later after they stop growing UP. Better too thin than too fat. I think he's adorable! Has the sweetest face!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
His weight sounds normal for his age, I wouldn't worry. He looks fine to me from what I can see. At this age they seem all legs but he will fill out and broaden when he matures.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I agree with Eleanor--if the vet says his weight is good, than that's what counts. He'll start filling out as he gets closer to maturity, I bet. Even my chubby Shiloh was trim like Baxter once upon a time--and I have the pictures to prove it!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think he looks perfect (and adorable!). Duke is a skinny boy, too. I was worried he was too thin, but his vet said he's perfect weight and that it's better for him to be thin at his age (1-1/2). She said when he gets older, he will probably fill out more.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Casie is thirteen months old,a nd he is like Baxter...lean and thin. I am hoping that we can keep him at least at his weight for a 13 mo. old; rather than battling the bulge like we are with Cobi. Cob,has at least 10 lbs to loose. Next time you take him to the vet ask them about his weight. Our vet says that we Americans kill our dogs with food...doesn't sound like Baxter is starving to me. But ask your vet...they'd be the ones to know for
sure...can you call them if you are worried?

Cathy J
cobi and casie's frazzled mother

1 - 13 of 13 Posts