Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a new puppy about 2 weeks ago. A little boy named Baxter who is now about 14 weeks old. He is a great dog and when we first got him was even better potty trained than Molly at 1 yr old. But recently when we take him out he squats to pee 2-3 times. And I try to watch him on the second and third attempts and it doesnt appear that he is going on the 2-3 tries. And now he is urinating in the house which he didnt do in the begining. Also his urine is much more pungent than Molly's. Could he maybe have a UTI or something similiar. I was looking at him the other day are where his urethra come out from his bladder and runs along his body to his wee wee /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif seems larger than I remember and it seems very firm. Didnt know if this was normal.
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
667 Posts
if you say is is more purulent, then that really does sound like a UTI. Just like baby human boys (esp uncirc) baby pups can get UTI's.

Amanda

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Make an appt with the vet for sure. And see if you can catch some of his urine in some sort of a cup with a lid so you can take a sample in for the vet to test. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the info. We have an appointment with him tomorrow morning. I will keep you posted.

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the info. We have an appointment with him tomorrow morning. I will keep you posted.

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we got him to the Vet yesterday and found out quite a few things. He has worms, poor guy. He has a yeast infection in his ears and has a bladder infection. So he is being treated for all three and should be better hopefully very soon. He has ears drops for the yeast infection. Is on a de-wormer and is taking anti-biotics for his bladder infection. So now at the same time we are crate training both of our beagles to try and get them finally house broken. I really think Baxter's issue is due to the bladder infection, but we are working with Baxter and Molly the same way so there are no jealousy issues. We are on our second day and so far so good. If any of you have any suggestions for crate training I'm all ears.

Thanks for all your help.
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Oh poor Baxter!!I'm sorry he has these little problems, but at least now you know what was causing all the peeing. The meds should help him feel better soon. Good luck with the crate training. It's been 11 years since I trained Shiloh, so don't remember all the details, :conf6: but you'll find lots of help here, I'm sure. Also there are lots of books on the subject. I reccomend Puppy Prescool by John Ross. It has an excellent section on crate training, and is also a good "owner's manual" for puppy's first year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts