Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
Just was curious if you guy's give your beagles a bath? If you do, How did you train them to like it or be okay with it?
And what products would you recommend to use on a puppy? Any advice is welcomed!
Thanks for your time:)

Registered
The scuttlebutt I hear is no more than 2 baths/year to keep coat naturally oiled.

When Agis first came home, he was a nervous pooper in his crate so he got bathed a LOT.

What I try to do with baths (with any of the dogs) is fill the bath with lukewarm water first, then put the dog in. I think it's less stressful then being in a tub AND having water pouring in.

I have some Burt's Bees puppy shampoo (I think that's what it is) which is supposed to be gentle. Look for gentle shampoos.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
So only twice every year? OK!!
Okay that makes sense!
Thank you for your reply!!
Would something like this work?
1588104361552.png
:

Super Moderator
Our beagles get about 2 baths a year. Too many baths takes away the good oils from their skin and fur. Brushing frequently helps a lot and keeps them cleaner. Most shampoos are fine for them. I prefer oatmeal based shampoo. They don't like getting a bath but are all happy when it's done. Treats always help!

Registered
I think since it's a gentle puppy shampoo it'd probably be good, though I've no personal experience with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Our beagles get about 2 baths a year. Too many baths takes away the good oils from their skin and fur. Brushing frequently helps a lot and keeps them cleaner. Most shampoos are fine for them. I prefer oatmeal based shampoo. They don't like getting a bath but are all happy when it's done. Treats always help!
Okay thank you!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
How come you prefer oatmeal based shampoo's?

Registered
I take my dog to a groomer also 2x year. I request oatmeal as well since its soothing. They also do the glands and nails. In between i wipe my dog with baby wipes.

Registered
I didn't know about the only twice a year thing. We've bathed our beagle a few times, but probably more like 3 times in the past year (maybe 4). Two things have made the experience pleasant for him. 1) We've put peanut butter on the far side of the tub for him to lick while we soap him up and 2) I had my teenager in her bathing suit get in the tub with him to cuddle/clean him (while we also cleaned from outside the tub). Lansky truly didn't seem to mind.

Registered
I take Buddy to a groomer 3 maybe 4 times a year. It all depends on how "skanky" he starts to smell. When he was little I tried to give him a bath myself. I put some lukewarm water in the tub and put him in but he did not like it. It's not worth the effort. The groomer I use doesn't crate the clients but lets them roam around the room. Except for Buddy. He's been known to "mark" other dogs as his property. It's kind of funny that a couple of times they have had to rewash his victims. So now they put him in isolation until I pick him up. When they call I can always hear him in the background.

Stupid Beagle.

Registered
Cassie here...
STUPID? Did I see you call Buddy stupid? Wait til I tell him! He marked his butt with my name. Was that stupid? Eh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts