Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly just took her first bath, and screamed bloody murder at me. She had her bath in the bathtub and I was sitting in it with her, and she tried to escape the whole time. I know that my Dachshund didn't like bath, but thought Beagles are different. Any idea how I can make Bathtime (which will be like once a month or so) fun for Molly?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Hopefully she'll eventually learn to accept her bath. Maggie is a year and a half and gets a bath every two weeks, but still doesn't like it. Tempting her with treats helps though!

·
Registered
287 Posts
The first time we ever bathed the puppies, Evan was sitting in the tub with Grayson and I was outside, holding Quinn in. We started by rubbing water on their backs so they felt the wetness. We only put the water up about so they could stand in it, and then we used a plastic cup to pour water on them. The only time, Quinn had her front paws on the bathtub (perfect position for me to shampoo her!), and I kissed her forehead and said, good girl, good girl. She seemed to fare much better than Grayson did. He was so skittish that Evan had to hold him down.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Shiloh B. surprised me - he hadn't (from me) had a bath since he could fit in the kitchen sink and he is now 6 years old. He would freak even if I tried sprinkling water on him from the hose. Then one nite I just made up my mind he HAD to have a bath - NOW! So I put his front paws up on the bathtub rim and he hopped in the tub - he was fine during his bath and after.

Shasta B. isn't bad either - she never has been a problem in the bath department.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are there any certain things we should do when bathing them? I read somewhere about putting cotton balls in their ears and vaseline around their eyes to keep the water out....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonAre there any certain things we should do when bathing them? I read somewhere about putting cotton balls in their ears and vaseline around their eyes to keep the water out....
Coincidentally, I just finished reading the latest issue of AKC's <span style="text-decoration: underline">Family Dog</span> magazine and the Good Grooming column was titled Lost in the Myths of Bath Time (with a photo of an adorable beagle whose head is covered in soap suds). Here is what they said in answer to your exact question:

Quote:A lot of how-to articles about bathing dogs advise putting a dab of petroleum jelly around the outside corners of your dog's eyes and cotton balls in his ears to keep water and shampoo out. Whether or not you should do this depends on how sensitive your dog is and how careful you are. If you are using a natural shampoo and you don't think you'll get any in your dog's ears or eyes, don't worry about it. If you're concerned, and your dog doesn't mind salve and cotton, then go ahead - it certainly won't hurt. If you are still using a shampoo with chemicals, use the cotton and petroleum jelly, be extra careful, or better yet, switch shampoos.
Another section had what I thought was really interesting info:

Quote:If you use a harsh chemical shampoo, bathing too often can dry out and irritate your dog's skin and coat. But if you use a natural, detergent-free shampoo without sulfates, parabens or other harsh ingredients, then frequent bathing can actually add moisture to the coat and skin.
Exception to above: for a few super-sensitive dogs, just the frequent exposure to water can be drying, although a natural moisturing shampoo with botanical oils usually makes up for it. The article also emphasizes the importance of rinsing, rinsing and more rinsing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Snoopy does not like bath time. She never has and never will. If anybody has a miracle cure, please let me know. She doesn't scream or nip. She just would rather be rolling in something outside than getting it washed off of her inside. BUT, she LOVES the zoomies afterward.

·
Registered
350 Posts
my wife went through this with ours, ( i say that because i didnt really care if they cried or not, but she did)
so one day she reads this mag that suggests smearing peanut butter on the wall of the tub....
so one day i see her trapsing through the living room to the bathroom with the peanut butter and a grin etc. then she calls the dogs. well shortly after that i hear..Hey! come back!!
then the dogs are in my lap, on the leather chair, with peanut butter on their paws and noses... oh no!!!
yuck!!
C.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have found that the easiest way to bathe a dog who doesn't like it is to do it in a shower with one of those shower heads that is connected to a hose. You get in the shower with them, in a bathing suit if preferred, and close the door. They cannot escape, and they don't have to stand in water like in a tub. The shower head that is connected to a hose is removed from its holder, so you can spray them with water as needed quite easily. Keep it on low pressure so when you put it aside it doesn't flip all over the place.

They still don't like it, but learn very quickly that they can't get out, so they just have to put up with it. The zoomies are just as insane afterwards!

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is not my beagle, but a great après bath video!

<span style="color: #FFFFFF"> .
.</span>

·
Registered
251 Posts
That video is funny!!!

Rocky didn't bark for his last bath...I'm giving him one tomorrow so we'll see what happens....

We have a deep soaker tub so he can't get out...for now!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, well...Rocky just had his bath....very comical! I wish I had been able to film it! He didn't bark or whine but he again tried to get out of the tub...and succeeded! Fortunately he wasn't soaked thoroughly yet....once I turned of the tap he calmed down and accepted his fate...
Now I have a clean puppy!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for the info, Judy! We just bought the dander shampoo from Petsmart to help with my allergies. So far, I've been doing A LOT better since I first met them at the breeder...

We use Perfect Coat, but it doesn't have any list of the ingredients on the label....

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's a funny video, it's the BEAGLE ZOOMIES!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonWe use Perfect Coat, but it doesn't have any list of the ingredients on the label....
I have to check the active and inactive ingredient of every product I put on my skin as I can't come into contact with any plant products. You can contact the manufacturer of Perfect Coat and ask them to provide you with both the active and inactive ingredients. Just tell them that your dog (or you) has allergies -- most companies are very willing to help out!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That video is hilarious! Li'l Girl had her bath today and, even though I use a hairdryer to help dry her, she did the zoomie thing. Funny thing, hers always take her to the kitchen where her treats are kept.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts