Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres a question im expecting to get several answers for. how often SHOULD you give your beagle a bath? ive heard from once a month to once or twice a year. so what do you folks think?
oh, what shampoo are you buying to use on the beagles?

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I bath mine when they get dirty. That happens to be about 3-4 times a year. I also blow dry them if it is on a cold day or if it is nearing bed time because I don't want them in my bed when they are wet.

I use PNP Oatmeal Shampoo because they have sensitive skin. I have also heard of using baby shampoo but I haven't tried that yet. When the bottle I have now id empty I may switch because the oatmeal stuff gets costly for me because of shipping.

http://www.petnutritionproducts.com/products/dogs/oatmeal_shampoo.asp

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I bathe Abby about once a month, more often if she gets dirty/stinky, less if she manages to stay clean.

I notice that once a month is about her limit and then she starts to get itchy and scratch a lot.

I buy Abby special oatmeal shampoo since she does tend to get itchy skin.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have done mine anywhere from weekly to monthly in the winter time. Not very often in the winter, but the area of Iowa we are in-seems like some winters are more mud then snow, so they do tend to get pretty dirty.
they WILL NOT let me blow dry though, yikes!!
Judi

·
Registered
146 Posts
my 9 year old beagle has had only 1 bath in his entire life. My dogs never have baths unless they are covered in mud. They get the occasional towel off after a wet walk and their coats are super soft and shiny. Everyone asks why our dogs are so soft.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey only gets a bath as needed. Usually only every few months when she starts to get stinky. I use doggie baby wipes on her and brush her out. Her coat is nice and soft and even when she does get dirty the dirt falls off her quickly. This is good because she hates baths!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by jen-n-jersey:
I use doggie baby wipes on her and brush her out.
Jen -- what are these? Maggie's coat on her back, in spite of having a bath two weeks ago, is very oily. She is shedding quite a bit and I have been brushing her daily (and probably stirring up the oil ...). Do you think these wipes would be useful?

RC: Maggie usually gets a bath every 3 or 4 months. I have the groomer use an oatmeal shampoo.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Judy, they are pretty much like regular baby wipes but I get them on the pet supply aisle at Wal-Mart. They are probably the same thing as a normal baby wipe at twice the price. They do help with stinkiness though.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Henry Beetle only gets bathed if he rolls in something nasty.

Same goes for all of mine. And they smell just fine. Probably because they spend most of their time inside.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what? 1 bath in 9 yrs? that cant be good.
i figured once a month was about right. i know some show dogs get a power brushed through their coats. ive been feeding bernie flax oil. his coat is super soft and no itchy's.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have Daisy bathed every three months. That's about how long she can go without a nail trim which I cannot do. Our groomer comes in a truck to our house--so much better than going out. She gets done in about an hour and she's just damp and smells good.

Daisy has never had any kind of odor. Our yard is mostly grass and flowers, but when she lays in the dirt it seems that it just falls out of her coat. I don't know what kind of shampoo the groomer uses, but it always leaves her shiny and very soft. She seems to really love having a bath. At least the groomer never tells me anything about her behavior--just that she's fine.

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
308 Posts
My Girls have been getting bathed at least once a week (sometimes more if it is too muddy outside). I know it can't be that great for their skin but they stay outside during the days and sleep with us at night.

I just baby soap instead of shampoo.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It will be three years this Memorial Day since the Bagel has had a bath. That is the last time he found a fresh cow pie to roll in. The Bagel also has had one real bath in nine years, the kind with shampoo and such, and that was to get the kennel stench off him the first weekend I rescued him. The other "bathes" have just been hosing off to get the "Ode au range cow" or the "Ode au swamp" off him. His last bath was just water from a stock water trough and a quick towel down at least 50 miles from the nearest electricity! The stock water trough had presented him the fresh cow pie opportunity moments before his "bath."

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:
Henry Beetle only gets bathed if he rolls in something nasty.
You should have seen the Bagel and I last Saturday Night. We spent a day at a race in the desert and my van, the Bagel and myself were dust brown at the end of the day. When I got home, I let the Bagel out in his backyard and showered myself off twice, washed my hair, washed my clothes and by the time I was ready to attend to the Bagel he had cleaned himself just fine. I agree, unless they can find "fox poo" or somethin else equally aromatic, why trouble them with a bath /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
In our dry climate we should only bath him once a month at most. But he only gets a full bath if he's really dirty and stinky. We use Johnson & Johnson Bay Shampoo. His paws get muddy a lot so I just wash them off in the laundry tub, or Caesar's Tub as it's now known. Otherwise it's just "spot cleaning", like when he got his head into the fireplace I took a damp cloth and rubbed his head until all the soot came off. He didn't like that.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote: Maggie's coat on her back, in spite of having a bath two weeks ago, is very oily.
The girls get a bath at my vets once a month. They come back shiney and smell so good and they just love themselves. They were not as shiney this time as previously and asked about it. They usually add a "degreaser" in with the shampoo they use and had been out. That may be the ingrediant you are needing for the oily thing. I don't know. They get baths, ears, nails and anals for $18 when you are boarding them for doggie day care. It's $20 if not.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I don't believe in bathing dogs too often. Too much bathing with shampoo can cause skin problems and surprisingly exacerbate oily skin.

Rosa only gets bathed with shampoo if she rolls in something stinky and the last time she did that was about 1 year ago. If she gets muddy I will hose her down with plain water and nothing else.

If I do use shampoo it is shampoo specially formulated for dogs. Most people will tell you that dog shampoo is a rip off and no different than baby shampoo but this isn't the case. Dog shampoo and shampoo for babies have a different PH value and different ingredients because one is meant for dogs and the other for humans. But I'm sure there are good and bad dog shampoos out there just as there are good and bad people shampoos.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Gage has been bathed four or five times in his whole life. The only thing we do for his coat is wipe him with dog wipes, and rolling him with a tape roller. He's shiny and soft (if image shack would cooperate, I'd upload a picture), which is most likely the result of the food he eats, and not because of baths, brushing or a lack of those things.

Edit: Now it works. See how shiny (and cute /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ) he is?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mizu is still a puppy.. so he is still being crate trained.. and will have an accident (only pee!) in his crate at least once a week...so he has a bath once a week..I also noticed that after his bath he scratches like CRAZY... we use the puppy shampoo..we rinse very well so I don't know if he's allergic to it ...or his skin is just drying out from getting baths often..

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky HATES baths. However, he gets bathed about once a month. He is mostly white and loves to get dirty outside. He has very sensitive skin so I use a moisturizing oatmeal shampoo. He cannot have a bath more than once a month or he will be too itchy. Plus his skin would be bright red from being irritated. When he was a puppy, he got a bath about 2 times a day (after he pooped) since he had Parvo. If you don't bathe them after they poop, then they won't get rid of the Parvo and could infect others. So you can imagine how much he hates baths. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts