Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has any problems with their Beag when it comes to bath time. I usually do it myself since Coco was 4mos because I don't trust him being good at the groomers. However, the minute he hears the words, water, bath, and/or shower, especially when he ears water running, he zooms off & hides. It takes me about 10-20mins to get him and I usually trick him or lure him with treats which doesn't always work, into in the tub. Once in, he is okay but getting him there is a struggle. Anyone else? Suggests?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel hasn't had a bath in about three years as I'm getting better at keeping him away from fresh cow patties and such! I've washed him outside with a garden hose and inside in the tub without much trouble but he isn't overjoyed at the prospect! I guess I wonder why Coco requires so much bathing? A couple handy wipes and a treat should keep him looking good unless he finds something great to roll in, then while we may think he deserves the indignity of a real bath, a nylon leash and harness won’t suffer from a little water either so start with a captive Coco, then add water.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Have you tried giving him treats while he's being bathed? It might help him associate the bathing with treats and good stuff rather than with getting wet and getting that stinky soap smell all over him.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Weird....mine jumps in the shower with me and sits there, lets me wash her, then stands underneath the pouring water, looking all sad and depressed...lol

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bob- He doesn't get baths too often (only when he rolls around in dirt & grass) because of risk of drying out his skin. But the times he does gets one, he'll spazz-out and hide. LOL. I've tried outside with the hose on hot days and he seems to enjoy it, however, can't always bathe him outside. Can't go wrong with doggie wipes when all else fails

Pop_Rivit- Yes, I have tried the treats while he is in the tub, but refuses to take them & gives me the dirtest look I have ever seen, lol. I give him treats after hoping that he remembers that when he gets a bath he then gets a yummy treat but I don't think he has caught on.

Amber- I get that look sad & depressed look with a dirt look with it. lol

·
Registered
135 Posts
Totti gives me some problems too. If I'm in the shower he always has no problem peaking his head in and getting it wet, but when it's time for his bath he tries to run from me. So now I just don't say anything, pick him up and take him up to the bathroom and shut the door. He's fine in the tub, but the drying off part is comical. Totti's drying off method is running around the house like a mad man for a good 20 minutes. I get tired looking at him!!!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Maggie also runs and hides when she knows it's bathtime. She's also terrible in the bathtub...constantly shaking and trying to jump out. It takes two of us to bathe her, and we usually both end up just as wet as her.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Totti,
your situation x 3 for me. the drying off routine takes laqcuer off our floor!!!
those dogs are a blurr for 20 minutes.

not sure i can offer any help, we did the give them treats in the tub (without water) and saying BATH really loud for about 2 weeks. then finally hit them with water.
i find its best to put about 2 inches of warm water in the tub.
get everything ready there you will need.
then just go get the dog, carry it in, set it in the water, and dont say anything til the dogs in the water and you are washing it. Like 'good boy, good good boy'
they all come in while we are showering , poke in the curtain, either lick the wall, the curtain or our legs. And when we get out of the shower, it is a race for them to see who can lick the most water off our ankles and calfs. it feels funny.
C.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Check with groomers in your area, talk to them, interview them, take Coco in for a visit and see how he reacts to the place. Then haggle price, if they know you are going to be a repeat customer, they might give you a bargain. We wait for our dogs, don't leave them so the groomers know no hankie pankie here...the owners are in the building. It's worth the $$ to me ($10 per dog)
to have the bath and nails clipped....I'm older and can't bend over a tub, and no larger higher tubs are available to me.

Good luck, I remember my parents dressing up in raincoats and old plastic garbage bags to bathe a dog we had like COCO, needless to say, later dogs were taken to the groomers.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly hates the bath process but she is always happy afterwards. Maybe you could give Co Co a treat and put him on a leash or baby-gate him in the room where the bath will occur. Then you can get all the bath things ready, plop him in the water and you're done.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I bathe him last friday and it went fairly well, I gave him treats before, during and after, lol. Seemed to work pretty good, we will see if it will work the next time he gets a bath
Thanks for all the great advice & tips. Coco thanks you too since he got all the yummy treats

·
Registered
80 Posts
All my dogs like to hop in the tub. When they were puppies I would spread peanut butter on the wall to coax them in. By the time they were done licking it up I was done with their baths. Now when they see the peanut butter come out they fight to see who can get into the tub fastest.

·
Registered
421 Posts
kinda funny, twitchy loves the bath. for a few days after she gets one, i have to keep taking her out of the tub. she'll sit in there and wait for me with this look on her face that says OK, TURN THE WATER ON NOW!
sophie, on the other hand, she'll let me do it, but she's not that into cooperating while i do. she'd rather just stand there and lick the faucet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
ok,
so wife tried the cool peanut butter trick.
they nosed it, wiped thier paws on it, then jumped out and tracked peanut butter all over the house!!!!!!!

great trick... im outa my mind......

·
Registered
326 Posts
I too have bath troubles, so rather than tramatizing Charlie, I used aloe and V-E baby wipes, they work wonders, and I'm able to get between his fur. yehhhhh for baby wipes lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: BeagleWeegleI too have bath troubles, so rather than tramatizing Charlie, I used aloe and V-E baby wipes, they work wonders, and I'm able to get between his fur. yehhhhh for baby wipes lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts