Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just a family update first and then some questions about Basil.

Our family has now been joined by Cleo, my adopted daughter! I have been looking at adopting for a very long time but with my parents being ill and dying and Trevor dying it was not practical. I contacted the adoption agent a year ago and she arrived last Tuesday - my two month old little gorgiss girl. The Beags adore her of course!

But Basil suddenly has developed a problem. Two weeks ago he was holding his left hind leg up. I went all over it but no pain. Took him to vet and they thought a pulled muscle and gave him Rimadyl which seemed to sort it. But last Friday he had difficulty getting up. So I took him to the vet and they diagnosed arthritis. And gave him the first of 4 shots that are designed to help the joints so while it wont work immediately it will over the 4 weeks assist. BUT today he had difficulty getting up like he couldnt get his hips moving. And when he did he held his RIGHT hind leg up.

Could it be hip displaysia? I know beags get it but the vet didnt think so but it is not consistent with what I know are arthritis symptoms as we had a pointer with it - does anyone have any experience with this?

Poor little Bas, you will recall he was my rescue beag and isn't all quite there but I hate to see him in pain.

I rang the vet and they said see how he goes after 2nd jab, Monday, and give him Rimadyl to assist in the meantime. I really am not sure if it is arthritis...

Please help us, I am really worried about him. Thinking of getting a second opinion of course but just wondered if anyone has any info for us.

Thanks! Monique Cleo Bella Basil

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Congrats on adopting Cleo. I know a few people that have gone though a lot to adopt.

Hip dyspasia is usually confirmed with range of motion testing and x-rays. Arthritis is commom enough. Stick with what your vet says. See how that goes.

If you feel strong enough about, do get a second opinion. It can't hurt.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Congratulations on adopting your daughter. We went through a sad time 30 years ago and failed to adopt a child we so longed for- mainly because we live in a catholic country and were not catholics!

As MD says, unless you have strong reasons to doubt your vet, then try to trust him.
We do hope Basil will be well again soon. Thinking of you
Angela

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Monique, been missing you and fretting how things were going. Great news on the adoption. Sure hope dear Basil's problems are fleeting. I recall the terible conditions he suffered before you rescued him and fear his confinement and growing conditions of his youth may have led to his curtent problem. Rooting for him to recover, Bagel and I will add him to our nightly prayers. Can we assume no news is good news as far as Bella. When you go missing for so long, you have got to give a report on all your furkids. Have fun with Cleo, give Basil and Bella some love from Bagel and I

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Monique Bella Basil:
Hello all,

Just a family update first and then some questions about Basil.

Our family has now been joined by Cleo, my adopted daughter! I have been looking at adopting for a very long time but with my parents being ill and dying and Trevor dying it was not practical. I contacted the adoption agent a year ago and she arrived last Tuesday - my two month old little gorgiss girl. The Beags adore her of course!

But Basil suddenly has developed a problem. Two weeks ago he was holding his left hind leg up. I went all over it but no pain. Took him to vet and they thought a pulled muscle and gave him Rimadyl which seemed to sort it. But last Friday he had difficulty getting up. So I took him to the vet and they diagnosed arthritis. And gave him the first of 4 shots that are designed to help the joints so while it wont work immediately it will over the 4 weeks assist. BUT today he had difficulty getting up like he couldnt get his hips moving. And when he did he held his RIGHT hind leg up.

Could it be hip displaysia? I know beags get it but the vet didnt think so but it is not consistent with what I know are arthritis symptoms as we had a pointer with it - does anyone have any experience with this?

Poor little Bas, you will recall he was my rescue beag and isn't all quite there but I hate to see him in pain.

I rang the vet and they said see how he goes after 2nd jab, Monday, and give him Rimadyl to assist in the meantime. I really am not sure if it is arthritis...

Please help us, I am really worried about him. Thinking of getting a second opinion of course but just wondered if anyone has any info for us.

Thanks! Monique Cleo Bella Basil
I have had no experience with it myself but my neighbor has raised Rotts for sometime so I have see effects snimals. You first problem is a lot of Vets agree that only large doge have this but about same amout see it your way. From what I have read at this web page it can occur in medium size also. Think I would get 2 opinion here. Because what you describe sounds like hip problem I have seen.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Congratulation on your newest family addition!! Adoption is a long, test of patience and faith, and I'm SO HAPPY for both of you, that you've found one another.

Sorry to hear about Basil's recent health concerns, and although I don't have any experience with that problem, I wanted you to know I'm keeping him in my prayers.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Monique, it's good to see a post from you. :wave: Congratulations on the adoption of your daughter. Beagles and children.....a great mix. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I don't have any experience with Basil's problem, so will just have to suggest you go with your vet or vets' advice.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Sadie has hip displasia in one hip. It is very unusual in Beagles. She was limping a while back and the vet examined her and she didn't show any pain on the exam. But still had the limp. They gave her Rimadly. Still after a week she was still limping. I took her back and the vet did an x ray and say the hip displasia. Hers is not real bad. After a few weeks on Rimadly she was back to normal and has been normal off of the Rimadly. She had just tweaked that hip real bad and caused it to hurt. An x-ray will show if it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all! Sorry not been around but with the new baby and dogs and visitors etc yada yada.

Bas has been to the vet and had two jabs which are supposed to help arthritis in the hips which he is supposed to have. It seems to have made it better. BUT tonight I noticed he was limping from his left shoulder. So back to the vet tomorrow for a bit of a chat. Will keep you posted. I wonder if it is anuthing to do with the fact that Bas was in a tiny cage from when he was 4 months to about 9 months? wear on his joints that is now coming out? He looks such a little old man now and is only 5 and I am heartbroken to see the state he is in - also his fur is a nightmare too. Sigh.

·
Registered
326 Posts
MBB - We've just been through testing for HD in our beags. Do you have an animal chiropractor in your area that would be able to do some tests on their joints? We've just been to a vet/chiro and he did a short sequence of tests on sally's legs/back and spine and confirmed that she doesn't have HD. If he had some inclination that she may have, he was going to do x-rays as this is the only way most vets can tell 100% if an animal has HD.

Has you vet done anything like checking his joints? Or is he just thinking its arthritis? If you want a second opinion, I'd suggest findind an animal chiro that has access to x-ray machines.

I hope he's okay /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

(... Erin)

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Hi Monique, It is great hearing from you again and learning about Cleo's adoption! I'm sorry Basil is having such a time. I remember the conditions you found the poor boy in when you rescued him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I hope some combination of meds or therapy will ease his pain. Please keep us updated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts