Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been touched on before but I was just so frustrated tonight! I took the dogs for a walk/jog by myself tonight which I've done many times. They've gotten really pretty good about staying with my as I jog and not crossing in front of me. They also have gotten good about staying somewhat calm when we see a rabbit. They'll whine a little but don't freak out. However, when we see other dogs they tend to go berserk. I can sometimes get them calm with a treat but not always. Honestly it's embarrassing having them barking and howling and lunging at other dogs. People think I'm beating them or something. Tonight I just turned around and went the opposite direction. Daisy wasn't too bad but Rocky continued turning around and howling. It was to the point where I was practically dragging him home. Fortunately he wears a harness so he wasn't getting choked, but I was just so frustrated. Sometimes they're so good and sometimes they go wild. Every now and then I can just drop down to their level and tell them quiet and they'll settled down. Boy, not tonight!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wish I could offer some advice but Daisy does the same thing to me on walks, not my husband just ME! It's like she is talking back to all the dogs who are talking to her from behind their fences and their is nothing I can do to make her be quiet and it's embarrassing

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
teddy did this as a pup, but i had this we do not associate ourselves with dogs that are illbehaved attitude because i have a theory that bad behavior spreads like wildfire lmao. so when he would bark on a walk back at a dog that was freaking out at us i'd simply say NOPE and give alittle dug to divert his attention back to me. i probably had to do that all of three weeks, now he doesn't bark at all when he sees another dog just wags his tail and tries to walk up to them. Altho i will say he is generally a quiet dog so i dont know if it would have been different had he been really loud, we never really gave him the option of being a loud dog. barking/howling/baying for no reason (as in, other then pottying, if he gets starteled, maybe if he's hurt or something like that) was frowned upon. he'd get a firm quiet and he'd usually settle down.

Also i like to nip it in the bud before it gets really crazy if he started barking alittle bit i'd say quiet before it got out of hand.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Our guys do this too but we have noticed that if we let them get close to the other dog/person and sniff they stop! They only get louder if we try to pull them away. They never get mean or aggressive, they just want to sniff and say hello!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I feel your frustration.

Charlie had does this ever since we adopted him, So I really don't know what he was like before, all I know is that He does it, and I too posted about such, I only found 1 thing that works and that's jogging with him and quick pull (come along when we happen to pass dogs) I thought maybe it's fine after a while but nope same on walks.

I'm going to assume by reading a lot of post in the community, that some Beags are more vocal than others, as well as some have a stronger sence of hunting instincts.

So pretty much try the jogging thing, I wish there was a magic button:)

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our two are like clockwork. The moment they leave our garden and enter the woods they bark. We live on a popular walk so there is usually a stream of dogs. My husband Dave, doesnt care anymore, they do stop barking between dogs. If hes out with them on his own, I can hear them in the distance and know when they are getting close to home. People round here have got used to them and just smile these days. In the garden and house they are as good as gold.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Daisy's done this when she's been over stimulated and desperately wants to smell the other dog.

I can't stand it and I found doing more distraction training the best way to solve it. I took Daisy to obedience club every week where there would be a large number of dogs on the field and in our class, she had to learn to 'work' and focus on me and not the other dogs. She can do group stays now without even looking at the other dogs.

To transfer this to walks I do a variety of distraction training - I often walk past the dog park, which is fully fenced, along the fence line and get Daisy to heel and look at me, not the other dogs. I give her various commands and reward her for focus. You will have to start a distance away before getting closer to the other dogs and slowly decrease the distance as her focus improves but it does work.

The biggest problem people make in these situations is that they wait until their dog has already seen the other dog to try and distract them with treats etc - work on the principle of time before distance before distraction and get her focusing on you a fair distance from the other dog, as I mentioned above, only decrease the distance when her focus is solid.

I also give Daisy the 'look' command before I see her get distracted, so she is focusing on me before she notices the other dog.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I posted on another thread recently that we FINALLY after seven years found a method that appears to have stopped Moose from going beserk every time he sees another dog... Buzz! Buzz and Moose are usually on a double leash together, and every time Moose starts to bark at another dog Buzz bites Moose in the head. Absolute consistency on Buzz's part seems to be working and Moose is showing a marked improvement. So the solution is get a Buzz - and trust me we tried everything else and nothing else worked 100%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts