Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love a beagle bark. But, Casie, is choosing to bark at m y youngest son as if he is an intruder. Stop me if you've heard this. Mike (my son) has a 12 hour a day job, so he hasn't had a lot of time to spend with Casie. However, when he is at home, Casie is barking, barking and barking at him, like he is an intruder in our home. It's annoying and I am not sure how to stop the barking....and how to get Mike to have time to spend with Casie one on one. Mike is 21 will be leaving for school in January so is it necessary that they become buds? I just don't like the barking constantly while mike is home...any ideas?

Cathy

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would have Mike take Casie out for a walk when he comes home, hand feed him a little and even play with him for 5 minutes a day - no more.
I'm sure that he'll get used to him faster than you think.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I would have your son give him treats. I have had Maggie since she was 8 wks old. She has had no bad experiences with men that we know of but she doesn't like very large or tall men or men wearing hats. We got her over the hat thing because she loves my dad and he started wearing a hat everytime he comes to visit. We got my neighbor's son-in-law who is very tall to give Maggie treats every time he sees us out walking, we also enlisted the help of a trainer at Petsmart who is a very large man. Any time he sees us in the store he gives Maggie treats. Who knows what her mind associates with tall men, but maybe something about Mike triggers a memory for Casie. I would try having Mike carry very desirable treats (Maggie loves dehydrated liver, string cheese or cooked chicken) and give Casie one each time he comes in. If Casie won't take it from his hand at first, just put it down. It won't take Casie long to figure out that being around Mike means good stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts