Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i have two beagle boys both the age of 2, jack and copper. jack is basically mute, doesn’t bark unless he’s mad (which is very rare). he’s healthy so i’m not too concerned. my concern is copper. he barks like no other. if he hears a noise, bark. someone drops something, bark. wants food, bark. the worst is being on a leash outside. if he sees a person or dog, he will howl like there’s no tomorrow. now we do use a muzzle that can be connected to his harness. and he sometimes will be fine with it and won’t care about anyone around him. but most days it’s obnoxious. we’ve received several complaints, and have also gotten police called about us “abusing” our boys because they sound like they’re being hurt. obviously the police came in and was like they’re clearly beagles, nothing seems to be wrong here. however it has caused a lot of anxiety. we are currently apartment living. which they get their excersise like walks. most days they don’t care to walk though and just want to go in. Now sorry for the long post, but I am looking for some help on how to calm the barking, any techniques are useful. we used treats outdoors when he’d bark and he’d obey and quiet. but it just eventually stopped working. i do understand that he’s a beagle and he’s being territorial but there’s got to be a way for him to know when to not right?? and training is not an option because near me is so expensive and if there’s a way i can personally train him without having to send him somewhere, that would be awesome. ANY TIPS ARE APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
My dog was a BIG barker too to the point I had ringing in my ears. I contacted my trainer who had beagles crying for help.
Her recommendation worked!
Get a bark collar..the one recommended to me was "Dogtra" which can be purchased on Amazon.
1. When you put it on the dog say..NO BARKING..
2. Only turn the gage to "PULSE".. when the dog barks he'll feel the vibration.
3. Let the dog wear it for a few days only set at Pulse.
4. If the dog continues to bark...set it to "1"..
5. When the dog barks at the 1 setting it will give a quick zap..that should quiet the dog.
6. Keep it at '1" unless he barks anyway..then set it at "2"..
7. My dog never went past 2.
8. When your dog is outside he wears the collar..take it off when inside.
9. You should see a marked improvement.
10. My dog doesnt go around barking anymore and doesn't need the collar.

Let us know how this goes

Carnivore Dog Font Recipe Companion dog

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
My Molly (she's at the bridge now) was a major barker. Her barking was more of a fear and protection thing. She could bark on command for a treat too. i know how frustrating it can be. I would redirect her the best I could. If she barked out the window I called her away and rewarded her for quiet time. Sometimes a trainer is needed. Beagles are all so different, Oliver barely makes a sound. I tried the bark collar on Molly but it scared her and made her pee.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ally was only an occasional barker but I wanted to be in control of it - we trained her by saying "no bark" and rewarded her with a treat. But tapered off the treat with pats. If you over treat, they associate barking with getting a treat. It seems like for Copper that he just goes into the "zone" when you're outside. It may be more of dominant control thing - doing it his way. Search the internet for positive training techniques for barking dogs/dominant dogs. Sometimes it a matter of trial and error. But he has to learn that you're the boss and what you say matters. Beagles easily train us. Check back in and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've recently hired a trainer to help us with barking for our newer beagle (I really need to update that photo to show both of them! We adopted Bailey in March, when someone had to rehome her. She's about 8 years old). Outside, Bailey would both lunge and bark. For the longer midday walk, I've started walking the dogs separately so I can focus on Bailey. She's harmless, but it can be scary for others. I know what triggers her--mostly delivery parks and other dogs--and she pulls back her ears when she's about to go haywire. That's when I pull out the treats and sort of lure her past the trouble spot giving her lots of praise and treats. She now is actually pretty good and walking and we've eliminated about 90% of the outdoor barking.

At home, she still does bark, but we're working on it. The mailman sends her into absolute fits! We're working with the trainer to teach her to go lie down in another room when deliveries come. We just started, so but she's showing some success at it. We still have a ways to go.

When she outside during the day, we allow barking at chipmunks, squirrels, planes (she hates planes). If she's by the fence barking at people, or if it's past about 6 p.m., as soon as she barks, she has to come inside and she's definitely learned the "inside" command.

It's a process, but it seems to be heading in the right direction. The trainer has been great! Photos just so I can show off my lovelies. :) Lansky is in front (the more brown one); Bailey is in the back.
Dog Bookcase Shelf Carnivore Picture frame
Dog Bookcase Shelf Couch Comfort

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've recently hired a trainer to help us with barking for our newer beagle (I really need to update that photo to show both of them! We adopted Bailey in March, when someone had to rehome her. She's about 8 years old). Outside, Bailey would both lunge and bark. For the longer midday walk, I've started walking the dogs separately so I can focus on Bailey. She's harmless, but it can be scary for others. I know what triggers her--mostly delivery parks and other dogs--and she pulls back her ears when she's about to go haywire. That's when I pull out the treats and sort of lure her past the trouble spot giving her lots of praise and treats. She now is actually pretty good and walking and we've eliminated about 90% of the outdoor barking.

At home, she still does bark, but we're working on it. The mailman sends her into absolute fits! We're working with the trainer to teach her to go lie down in another room when deliveries come. We just started, so but she's showing some success at it. We still have a ways to go.

When she outside during the day, we allow barking at chipmunks, squirrels, planes (she hates planes). If she's by the fence barking at people, or if it's past about 6 p.m., as soon as she barks, she has to come inside and she's definitely learned the "inside" command.

It's a process, but it seems to be heading in the right direction. The trainer has been great! Photos just so I can show off my lovelies. :) Lansky is in front (the more brown one); Bailey is in the back.
View attachment 42691 View attachment 42692
Sounds like you are heading in a good direction. Love the photo's!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts