Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I am filling my dogs bowls with their biscuits and chicken, they sit and bark at me, then while walking to their feeding area, they are barking at me and they only settle down when i place the bowls on the floor and make them stay. i know its because they are excited, but am i allowing a bad behaviour by not stopping them? should i put the food away when they bark at me or just let it happen? it doesnt worry me, just curious...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Our guys used to howl before feeding too, but, as you mentioned, it is just excitement

We do not put the bowls down until the dogs sit, and consequently, are quiet!
That is just our method, if it bothers you, make them sit first and then they will realize they won't get their food until they are quiet.

We think the howling is funny!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Tucker usually only howls when the meal or treat is late. He is pretty good about waiting for dinner time, then gives us some leeway, but if it is real late, he lets us know. (some days real late is 30 minutes). I think the howling is cute. Tucker does a little dance while waiting for the food.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Our two also get excited around feeding time. They howl a little and bark a little. But like RosCole's pups, they have to sit and be quiet before they can eat. We actually make them wait outside the kitchen, then lie down and be quiet. We then tell them okay and they go eat. It doesn't stop the howling though. LOL But it's kind of cute.

Here's a video from when we used to feed them Eukanuba. As you can see, they're quite excited. But for some reason they're not barking in this video. LOL

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That video is great! They are soooo good while they are waiting for their food, simply adorable

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i am reassured now mine are not the only ones
i didnt have a problem with it and they sit and wait perfectly for my command, i just didnt want to accidentally enforce a bad habit such as them thinking that when they bark they get food but maybe i'm just being over paranoid...

·
Registered
215 Posts
What an awesome video! Penny barks at me when I am having my breakfast if I forget to share my toast. The crazy thing is - she doesn't even like toast!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts