Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the dogs barking loudly, followed by a gunshot. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Why doesn't Dusty answer when I radio him? The sequence of events is repeated, so off I go to investigate.

Dusty's at a brushpile behind the house and yells that the dogs have a raccoon cornered. I grab leashes and boogey down there. Traveler's in the brushpile fighting the raccoon, and Spook's cheering him on. :lol2:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Wow, what a morning! I hope your pack is safe and sound now. Poor Lil' Girl, she must have been so scared. Hopefully Traveller wasn't to badly injured.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Bagel and I don't know much about raccoons (They ain't around these parts) but I recall my favorite Twilight Zone episode, the one where the hound wasn't allowed to go through the Gates of Hell so the old man continued down the road with his dog to a far, far better place. Anyway, I remember they had both died because a raccoon had got the hound into the water and his human also drowned trying to save the hound. I always figured raccoons were a force to reckon with. Sure sorry for the raccoon and sure hope Traveler recovers quickly.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sounds like you live in a wild game reserve! Any more bears recently? Hope you have all recovered.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob, raccoons are real fighters. There were a lot of them in rural Illinois where I grew, too. I remember the time that my childhood dog, Brownie, had one treed. Daddy was afraid the **** would get the better of Brownie, so he went out to help her. He got a big ol' stick, swung, and knocked Brownie cold! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Angela, we love having wildlife around us, and everything goes fine until Traveler corners something. As I said, his prey drive is so strong that it sometimes worries us. No more bears have been sighted, so either we haven't been out at the right time or that one was passing through on its way to Alabama. :lol2:

On a sad note, though, a lady hit a bear on I-75 one day last week. She wasn't hurt, but the bear was so badly injured that it had to be euthanized. The lady is an animal lover, so she was upset, but it was an unavoidable accident. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! I am so glad everyone is okay or going to be. Please give special hugs to Traveler and L'il Girl (I'm right with you hiding behind whatever I could find!).

·
Registered
124 Posts
You have some brave beagles! The most Suzy does is bark, run towards it, then runs back to us....she must think we are blind. I would have been terrified, I hope Traveler isn't too roughed up. That must boost his confidence level though and make him want to play with those animals! A very rough game, but a game right? Or does he get mad? When we lived on an acre our dogs would kill snakes and cats and play tug of war with them. Our new generation barks at animals but that's as far as it gets.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I hope Traveler is OK. I feel bad about the poor raccoon. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I think I heard something about a lady hitting a bear but I didn't get the whole story. I know that I would be inconsolable if it were me.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Sandyj:
Traveler's in the brushpile fighting the raccoon, and Spook's cheering him on.
Sandy....I can picture one sibling egging the other sibling on...."GO GET 'EM BRO" :rotflmao:

I'm sorry for the **** and for the ouchies the pups received.....but I'll bet they were high-fivin' each other when you had your back turned! :hysterical:

Please forgive me everyone, I hope you don't think I'm unsympathetic of the racoon, or cavalier.....Sandy's story just left a visual in my head of ornery boys doing what boys do.
(I grew up with all brothers and boy cousins on a farm.)

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Thank goodness we are not near enough to a lake or an other type of water source to encounter racoons! And our beags are well protected by a stout 6 foot tall fence to "keep then in & others out"! :angryfire: (After I caught one of them teasing Goober, the male "idiot of the team" started to climb over my fence to attack me & he was "sent packing" home after getting a face full of pepper spray & the promise that he "would get lead poisoning next time"! ( they promptly abandoned the property soon afterward & it has been vacant ever since)! :thumbup: :rolleye11:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And they say living in the country is boring! You've had all sorts of excitement lately, Sandy. I hope your pack is feeling better now. I can just picture the boys egging each other on trying to get to the intruder! I do feel bad for the poor racoon though. It must have been terribly frightening for him too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts