Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how old your beagle was before he started barking/baying. Ours doesn't at all (thank goodness since we live in an apartment) but I was hoping it wasn't because he was too young.
All the other dogs I had growing up barked all the time as puppies.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie didn't bark as a baby. It seems like she was somewhere between 6 and 9 months before we heard a bark and older before she bayed. Maggie pretty quiet. She barks if a stranger comes into the yard or if she is trying to get a cat to run. She bays if she sees a raccoon or sometimes a squirrel.

·
Registered
421 Posts
sophie bayed <span style="text-decoration: underline">one</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">time</span> when i brought her out of the crate after going to the gym. it was her first time being in there without me here. she only barks when i bring out my tape measure. sometimes when she is chasing a ball or porposing through the snow, she grunts like a pig. other than that she is silent. we live in an apt bldg also, so like you, we are kinda glad.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy has barked a handful of times, usually at the cat. She has half bayed once at a rabbit in the yard but that's it. She is 13 months. My miniature dachshund makes more noise than she does, then again that's not unusual for them. LOL!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Not all Beagles are noisy... believe it or not!
Chloe's first bay was at about 10 months of age if I remember correctly. She is not a barker, and will only bark when she's startled by something or extremely excited!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Squeegee isn't necessarily a loud beagle but started barking and baying around 3 mos. He bays when he wants other dogs to play with him, when we turn on the hair dryer/vaccuum cleaner, when he sees another dog when we're walking and when he comes out of his crate. Also, sometimes when he sees his reflection
He usually only does it once or twice though and I never get tired of it

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock is another quiet beagle. He only barks (a low gruff barking) when playing with Bones or attacking the vacuum cleaner. He howled once, the first day we had him as a puppy, at a train whistle, and I haven't heard him since.

Bones, however, was a problem barker. Heh. She's gotten so much better, though.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Casie didn't bark until Cobi taught him how and then it was just a small woof.....now however, after 5 months with us...he holds his own with baying and barking....don't wish for what you may not really want ;o)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Li'l Girl is a rescue who was a year or more older when we adopted her. She's always barked, mostly when the other dogs start barking, she doesn't bark excessively. What sounds unbelievable is that she hadn't bayed until earlier this year!
So, she was approximately 9 years old when that first bay came
She has a beautiful deep bay, and uses it fairly often now that she's found it.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
In every day life, Jersey is a pretty quiet dog. She has a low gruff bark that she does if she sees another dog outside. Rarely she gives a good loud bark if she hears something she thinks warrants it, but then stops after a few barks. There are days that will go by and I never hear her bark at all. At day care they say she is VERY loud and barks a lot, but I'm never there for that. She does have separation anxiety and cries horribly loud if we leave her home alone. We live in an apartment so that never happens anymore. She either gets a baby sitter or day care when we go out.

Jersey does have a lot of other noises that she makes though. She grunts and groans and sometimes almost talks/sings when one of us comes homes and she wants a treat. It's the cutest thing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Menolly started out quiet, but has gotten louder as she aged.
Her first howl was at five months. She howls just about every day, but only when she sees a stranger out the front window or through the fence in the backyard. She barks between the howls (Baroooo! Ruff! Barooo! ruff, ruff!). Other than that, she is very quiet. She also grunts and whines all the time. Sometimes it sounds totally human! I've heard her say 'uh-oh', 'uh-huh', 'oh, noooooo' and 'ma-maaaaa!'; in response to something we say!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha. Thanks for all your stories. =) Chuck does whine when we first put him in his cage when we are about to leave, but we say No! and he stops.
He makes funny noises when hes playing, (kinda grunting-ish).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts