Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our backyard has about a 7 foot high wooden fence. You can't see through it. Not really an issue with the neighbor next to us, but the one behind us cannot be outside without R barking up a storm. I've tried giving him his quiet command (we use Basta, which is italian for enough and this totally entertains my grandmother!) and I've even tried dragging him inside. No matter what I do, when he's let out again, he'll run back and start barking at him.

They're not very friendly neighbors (maybe that's why he barks - LOL???) but I've thought about introducing the dog to him. Other than that, i'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think it's a good idea to introduce the dog to him assuming he's a dog person. If he's agreeable it might be a good idea to give him some treats to drop over the fence to the dog when he's outside and starts barking. A few gentle words and treats from the neighbor might go a long way.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Is the dog behind you new to the neighborhood? Ours go crazying barking at a new neighbor dog. We have a few Beagles that live in back of us. They have a female Beagle named Lila. Our Sadie and their Lila apparently hate each other. They get out there and bark furousiouly at each other through our 6 foot wooden privacy fence. We can usually call her back after a few minutes though. We put up a little barrier on that back fence too so Sadie can't see through the cracks. This helps a little.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Getting the neighbour to talk to your dog and give a treat, sounds like a great idea.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie barks at our neighbors also but I have been lucky as they used to raise bassets and they think it is really funny when she barks! The neighbor behind me used to get up high enough on the fence for Maggie to see him. Then he would tell her no barking and if she quit, she would get a treat.

·
Registered
350 Posts
you may want to take board or cut a hole so he can see. of course you would have to put a screen in like chain link or something.

I install fences for a living, and we always try to encourage the customer who is fencing in a dog, to make the fence in such a way as the dog can see the front door, and as much of the surrooundings as possible even if it means putting see through panels up.
it has been proven to reduce barking.
we JUST had a customer put up a fence that the bottom half was chain link and the top half was wood, JUST FOR THIS PURPOSE.
i will post pics of it tomorrow. (i dont care for the looks much, but hey, he was paying)
anyway, this may NOT be the case for your little guy, but it may be worth a try.
C.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chabonclyyou may want to take board or cut a hole so he can see. of course you would have to put a screen in like chain link or something.

I install fences for a living, and we always try to encourage the customer who is fencing in a dog, to make the fence in such a way as the dog can see the front door, and as much of the surrooundings as possible even if it means putting see through panels up.
it has been proven to reduce barking.
we JUST had a customer put up a fence that the bottom half was chain link and the top half was wood, JUST FOR THIS PURPOSE.
i will post pics of it tomorrow. (i dont care for the looks much, but hey, he was paying)
anyway, this may NOT be the case for your little guy, but it may be worth a try.
C.
That's interesting, I've always found the opposite - dogs are less likely to bark if they can't see the street. It's amazing how many people who have had nuisance barkers stopped completely just by blocking the dog's view of the street... I guess it depends why the dog is barking and if seeing a visual stimulus is the cause

To the OP, what does he do if instead of you giving him a voice correction, you give him a command like come?

·
Registered
350 Posts
as promised, here is a pic of the fence i was talking about.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts