Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and my husband and I recently got two pocket beagle pups. One is 5 months and the other is 3 months. They are lovely dogs who love to cuddle and seem to be picking up on much training quickly. The big issue we are having is barking when they are put into their crate at night.

During the day when we crate them they only bark momentarily, but when we put them in for the night, they can take up to an hour to stop barking. We give them two good 40 minute walks a day, cut off water three hours before bed, and take them out right before bed and make sure they go to the bathroom. We cover the crate with a quilt and even leave soft music on for them (a trainer suggested white noise to soothe them). They do not bark in the middle of the night or in the morning, it is just for that hour when we first put them in. I feel that it is separation anxiety.

We have never taken them out of the crate when they bark, and this has been going on for three weeks. I had assumed they would figure it out by now. My husband and I are feeling anxious and are hopeful that another beagle owner can give us some advice. We live in an apartment and are very concerned about our neighbors getting upset. Please help! How do we deter barking in the crate? A friend suggested zap collars, but I am unsure about that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Welcome!

Ours barked, howled, and cried for hours when we tried having him sleep in his crate when he was a puppy. For 2 weeks we suffered and finally gave up on making him sleep in it. Yeah, we let the dog win, but beagle howling from 12:00 to 3:30 in the morning is not ignorable. Our house is too small to not let that ruin everyone's sleep, and my husband has a dangerous job and I was worried he'd get hurt at work from fatigue. So we gated off the living room and kitchen (they are not carpeted) from the rest of the house and let him sleep out in the open. We took his water away before bed, took him out to pee before we went to sleep, and it worked out well for us. I wish the crate training would've worked, but it just didn't for us.

The only thing I look back now and see that we should've tried is putting the crate in our bedroom. You could try that and maybe knowing you are so close will be good enough to soothe them so they'll sleep. If not, could you gate off the kitchen or something? I have no experience with the zap collars. I do know someone that has a barking device that emits an annoying sound to dogs when they bark. I don't know the name of it, but it helped with her dog that yapped constantly for no reason.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and my husband and I recently got two pocket beagle pups. One is 5 months and the other is 3 months. They are lovely dogs who love to cuddle and seem to be picking up on much training quickly. The big issue we are having is barking when they are put into their crate at night.

During the day when we crate them they only bark momentarily, but when we put them in for the night, they can take up to an hour to stop barking. We give them two good 40 minute walks a day, cut off water three hours before bed, and take them out right before bed and make sure they go to the bathroom. We cover the crate with a quilt and even leave soft music on for them (a trainer suggested white noise to soothe them). They do not bark in the middle of the night or in the morning, it is just for that hour when we first put them in. I feel that it is separation anxiety.

We have never taken them out of the crate when they bark, and this has been going on for three weeks. I had assumed they would figure it out by now. My husband and I are feeling anxious and are hopeful that another beagle owner can give us some advice. We live in an apartment and are very concerned about our neighbors getting upset. Please help! How do we deter barking in the crate? A friend suggested zap collars, but I am unsure about that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I wish I had better news but your just going to have to let them bark until they stop on their own. It appears your doing everything correct. remember, they are babies, they are learning to live among us now. When they bark the best thing to do is totaly ignore it. I know it's hard, but it's the best remedy. Unfortinitly it may take a while. PLease do not resort to zapping them, all that does is create fearful animals. Or any kind of quick fix tool" becuase he is a puppy, he doesn't know any better and he just needs to learn and be paitant.

Be careful as well with traing and nuttrition. A smaller beagle (as with any breed bred down under the standard) can have health and behavior issues when not care to properly. Good luck, I feel for you.

Beagle Pro | Pocket Beagle Facts

Beagles

Your New Puppy

Whole Dog Journal - Search Results

Whole Dog Journal - Puppy Training & Nutrition

Peaceable Paws

1 - 4 of 4 Posts