Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

We recently adopted Rose, 13 month old spayed bitch and she's absolutely wonderful, most of the time...

Any movement from any of our neighbours starts her howling and I'm wondering how to try and curb this behaviour. If she does it when we're playing outside with her it's fine - a firm QUIET and a cuddle (when she stops) - but we're not there all the time. If I'm inside and go out when she barks she stops - and it just seems to me that I'm reinforcing her guard behaviour in this circumstance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Welcome to this site! Im going thru the same thing myself! But my beag is 15 yrs old & Homer-the-Huge, my 5 yr old mix breed hound are still getting used to the new owner of the abandoned home behind my property! Establish a good rappor with the new owner/person & offer a supply of treats for them to offer/ bribe your hounds! In my case it is very challenging as the previous owners of the property were INSANE! And used the place as a cat shelter as there were no zoning laws @ the time & took great delight in teasing poor Goober! But after I pepper sprayed one of the tard's as he climbed over my fence to harm Goober, (And the promise of lead poisoning next time) they abandoned the property! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I am having the same problem with Spencer except he does it at the front window if anyone goes by, and he will NOT stop. I have even tried to haul him out of the window and the barking continues. think I might find this thread useful myself.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Same problem here...Fin barks at almost everything. The worst is cats, he loves them and hates them. I close the door, spray him with water, try to entice him with some pupperoni but NO he continues to bark. I would love to know how to curb this behavior or cease it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same problem with Rhett but it was only when I was not home. He would go to the side of the house that is close to my neigbors bedroom and bark and bark and bark (poor little man misses me).

I came home one day with a nice note on my door from my neighbor who had never mentioned anything about Rhett before telling me i needed to take care of my dog and posting excerpts about city ordinance on it (I still to this day won't acknowledge these neigbors existence).

I had to do 2 things.
1. I had to create a partition/mini fence on my deck so he could not go to that side of the yard. It helped because he can't see in the front yard with this little fence up plus it gives the cat's a place to go to hide from the ever playful Rhett.
2. I had to do something that I never EVER wanted to do and get him a shock/bark collar. I was completely against this but I also didn't want to lose my dog because of my a-hole neighbors. I tested the thing on myself first and is scared the heck out of me but didn't hurt me at all. I must say, after a single bark with the thing on he never barked again with it on. When I get home from work he is really excited to see me and I take the collar off then he'll tell me how his day was but only after the collar comes off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies and welcome /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif We get along really well with our neighbours and they're all dog owners too so we'll try the treat option if they're amenable.

I've also considered if she just needs more company during they day when we're not there am I asking for trouble getting another beagle? What are the chances that I'll just be doubling my trouble?

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by AndrewA:
I've also considered if she just needs more company during they day when we're not there am I asking for trouble getting another beagle? What are the chances that I'll just be doubling my trouble?
Count on it. I'm not discouraging you from getting another dog for companionship purposes, because I'm a firm believer in that (I have two rescue dogs who are strongly bonded).

However....once one barks, they BOTH feel obligated to act as a pack and ward off all intruders. Two dogs are two times more fun, two times more work, two times more noise, etc. I wouldn't trade either one for anything though!!!

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by debannib:
However....once one barks, they BOTH feel obligated to act as a pack and ward off all intruders. Two dogs are two times more fun, two times more work, two times more noise, etc. I wouldn't trade either one for anything though!!!
Mine don't do this. Sydney doesn't bark at anything outside. She will whine and squeak but never barks, she leaves that up to Spencer.

·
Registered
439 Posts

good job bro. :thumbup:
i will protect bernie at all costs. hes NOT a fighter, though has proven to handle himself very well in the past. hes my buddy and i will protect him at all costs. anything that threatens his comfort zone will be dispatched.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the neighbours have all got treats to give her and she's been to visit each for a "proper" introduction - guess we'll learn over the next little while if it's the right approach.

I'm also arranging for us to be available to foster dogs on a short term basis to try and get an idea how Rose behaves in company, though she was fine when staying with my sister (and her yappy terrier) while the fences were upgraded.

Thanks you again for your comments /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Same problem here to a lesser extent. Rosa will bark at the neighbours only if they stare at her or speak to her. As long as they ignore her she is fine. If she does start barking Sherry doesn't join in but getting Sherry hasn't changed Rosa's barking habits either.

Generaly you should cure any existing problems before adding to your canine pack. Sometimes getting a second dog helps or it can backfire and you could end up with two dogs that bark :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I guess they all go through a curious stage, or even a scary stage. Charlie will bark when he feels intimidated. Or provoke by neighbors dogs. He will also go berserk when a dog walk by our fence which is often at dinner time.
I used the shock/bark collar before, but he will still bark only less loud. Because that collar produce static shock according to sound level. It does not really hurt them, it is like getting static wave. It will scare them, Charlie found a way to maneuver around it, still barks his head off, only a little softer enough for him to bear with the static shock. :hi: I'm not using it anymore, I spent over $90 I think. My neighbors gotten used to his barking. I'll tell him to stop when its gets too annoying. I won't let him out at the break of dawn, or after 9:00pm. If we have to go out more than 5 hours, I'll lock Charlie in the garage. Also I'll use the whistle, he'll come everytime I blow the whistle.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW Andrew.
Our last beagle, Spotty, used to bark like mad at the fence. She used to wait for trouble there and nothing stopped her. So we prevented her from going out early in the morning or late at night. We would take her for walks then.
Our present two only bark if another dog comes down to our fence.
It is a good idea for your dog to get to know the neighbours if your back yards back on to one another.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Our obedience school tariner calls this barrier agression and it is a problem that can be dealt with.
Ben would bark and bark when ever there was another dog, person, cat, squirrel, whatever outside the front window. BEFORE they start barking take action by feeding high value treats and talking happily to your dog (Hey! Is that another dog! Wow!). The dog *should* learn to associate something on the other side of whatever barrier with food instead of fear. We have had moderate success with Ben using this method. This also works for walks when there is another dog on the other side of the street.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts