Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly has some really annoying issues that need a trainer. We are considering Bark Busters because once you pay for the initial visits, they will come back again if you need them with no additional charge. We have tried everything from books, videos, CD's but nothing works (or we are doing something wrong).

Since Molly is extremely timid and her main behavior issues are in the house that it would be best to have the trainer come here.

Has anyone used BB? The lady seems really nice, I spoke to her on the phone a few time.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We looked into them. If they hadn't been so expensive we would have gone with them. The trainer we spoke with was wonderful. I love that everything they do is positive reinforcement. However, they are a franchise chain, so each branch is going be different as far as quality of the training and such. I like that they come back if your dog needs more training. I also like that if you move to another state, that still applies. Like I said, had they not been so expensive (over $500) I would have gone with them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Here's what Caesar's Mom had to say about them:

Quote:We tried Bark Busters for Caesar and at first we thought it was great. But then we realized that we wasted a bunch of money. We didn't like the chain bag or the choke collar. It broke my heart the way Caesar would look at me when we used it, he was so sad. I think we used the collar twice. We eventually tried NILIF (nothing in life is free) and it was wonderful. Ask your vet to recommend a trainer. Our vet told us about an excellant trainer, well knowledged and reasonably priced. Sometimes the good ones don't have the big names. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. The local trainer here said $400 for unlimited visits. I don't think she will be using any choke collars or anything like that. Her 2 main projects will be to get Molly to stop fear-agressively barking/growling out the window, and for my hubby to be able to get her on leash. She knows that Moll was abused prior to adoption.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: Here's what Caesar's Mom had to say about them:
Quote:We tried Bark Busters for Caesar and at first we thought it was great. But then we realized that we wasted a bunch of money. We didn't like the chain bag or the choke collar. It broke my heart the way Caesar would look at me when we used it, he was so sad. I think we used the collar twice. We eventually tried NILIF (nothing in life is free) and it was wonderful. Ask your vet to recommend a trainer. Our vet told us about an excellant trainer, well knowledged and reasonably priced. Sometimes the good ones don't have the big names. Good luck!
Which, I beleve was in response to my asking the same question.
We talked to them and I got the impression that the unlimited visits were a last resort if they couldn't talk you through a problem over the phone... Which would be fine, I guess, if the guy hadn't been so hard to get a hold of when we were trying to decide on a trainer. We left voice mails and it typically took a few days for him to call back. After we decided we would go another route, he called us a few times asking quetions that made me feel like he was trying to tell us that we screwed up by not using him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The trainer we spoke with here did not use choke collars or the chain bag. They were 100% everything positive reinforcement. She also mentioned clicker training. As far as price I think that since they are a franchise, different areas probably charge different amounts.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Stay 100% away from Bark Busters and any franchise IMO.

I live in Australia where BB originated and it has a very bad rep.

The thing with franchises is that anyone can buy into them and become a dog trainer with 4-6 weeks - not enough experience IMO for me to splash out the hundreds of dollars it often costs.

You have no idea what each individual trainer is like, you might get one who is ok, you might get one who is rubbish or worse. I wouldn't trust BB as far as I could through them!

As I don't live in the US I can't recommend anyone in your area, but I would recommend contacting Suzanne Clothier via her website here:

http://flyingdogpress.com/

As I'm sure she could recommend someone reputable in your area.

ETA: Cost is no indicator of quality when it comes to a dog trainer. My trainer is a qualified behaviourist with 30 years experience and was $80 for a two hour session and unlimited phone and email contact. I recently went to a two day training workshop with one of the best trainers/behaviourists in the country and for the two days it was $200. It's impossible to judge how a good a trainer is purely by their fees.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone.

I did read the bio on the trainer and she seems pretty good. Our other options are to take Molly to a 6 week class at the shelter she came from or have another lady that will come to the house - 2 visits for $195. She has something like 7 rescue dogs.

I really think my hubby and I just need ONE training method that we can work on. He sort of has his methods and I have mine - which doesn't help at all.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sorry I'm late...but I guess everyone posted my thoughts for me.
We found a great trainer through our vet and have been in communication with her for over a year now. We did walking classes and agility for Emma plus obedience and tracking for Caesar. I find that her style is a mix of Cesar Milan, Brad Pattison and NILIF. Good Luck. A good trainer is always worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.