Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have had Molly for 2 years and she was adopted from a shelter. We have had a major problem with fear barking at the front windows, like in the morning/evening when people come home from work, or if I am home sick. She went to school, learned everything except not barking. We read books and watched DVD's etc.

We got her a collar that has a small box on it which omits the scent of citronella if she barks. So far, if she starts to bark and the spray goes off, we only get one bark and she stops. Miracle! She sort of hates the collar but she needs to learn. Good behavior means that the collar comes off. I say "good collar" when its time for the spray one to come off.

Hope it keeps working! She is kind of moping now but its better than being yelled at or me scrrrrrrrrrrrrreaming into a pillow with a migraine. Only a few days and I have a well behaved girl. She is a smart cookie.

This is similar to the one that Molly has: Innotek Spray Bark Control - Innotek Brand Official Website

·
Registered
504 Posts
I saw this on Victoria Stillwell's show, and she was highly against it. However, it works it works. It's what it's there for no?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Barking

I'm sorry, maybe I am being anal about this barking thing, and if I am you can stop reading now. Citronella is a poison, sure it's just a small spray, but it is still a poison, and you are spraying that into her face. It doesn't make sense to me.

Barking is a way of communicating for our pooches. Sure we want them to be well behaved and liked by all the neighbors, but barking is part of the dog. We teach them how to bark, when to bark...but when they do what comes naturally, we get upset with them. Barking is their way of talking, and yet we don't like it. I for one, think that the barking of a dog or howling of the beagle/hounds is a great sound....my neighbors appreciate the idea that my hounds are on duty in the neighborhood....we take turns with the 27 other dogs in the neighborhood...each barks at their own pitch in their own time.

I guess I don't get why the need to stop the barking,,,,,,unless it's never ending. Sorry.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sent a request to have this topic removed. The collar works for us and I was trying to be helpful. Its been 2 days and the barking is letting up and its hardly even sprayed.

Anyway.....I will not reply or post in this topic.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just have to respond to Cobismom.....as to why I am controlling the barking. Molly barks and barks and barks uncontrolllably at our front window. A I said we have tried training classes, books, DVDs, TV shows etc. Nothing - still barks frantically to the point of a neighbor calling animal control. I don't mind a normal bark or a warning bark but not the craziness. I get severe migraines and sometime I am home sick and cry in my pillow from the barking.

So....................that is why we are controlling it, NOT stopping it. The the spray is animal safe and does not go in her face.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts