Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this a really pointless question to ask and I'm not sure if anyone can help but here goes!

I saw a video on Youtube once which featured a beagle with the owner playing dead. The owner would mimic a gun with his hand and go "Bang!" (instead of saying "play dead!")and I SWEAR it was the most adorable thing I'd ever seen!! (even though it sounds slightly morbid (I'm not that kind of person, please dont take this post the wrong way!!)

How would you go about training your Beagle to do that?

Cheers guys! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I do not know how to train my Charlie doing that. But Charlie would run to his crate when I say "stop it or I'll spank your bud". He likes to bark so loud every time when he sees a dog passing by our house. And one time I was sitting right next to him when he did it. He startled me so bad that I turn around and spank his behind. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif From then on I just have to say the magic word. :animal18: He is so smart!

Charlie mom

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm no expert on beagle training, and my beagle is spoiled rotten. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif But treats work well when you want them to do something. You just have to be careful of the amount that you give your dog though, as beagles can gain weight quite easily :p

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My friend has an Australian Shepard that also does this trick. Her dog is extremely well trained and competes in agility. I won't see her until Monday but I can ask what the steps in training are.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker came with "bang bang you're dead" when we adopted her. She is really cute when she does it because she can't ever seem to stop her tail from wagging - so she is dead except for her tail!

As to how she was trained to do this I don't really know since it was her former owner who did the training (and I am somewhat embarrassed to say we haven't really added anything to her repetoire in the almost seven years we have had her now). I would say it is an "add on" from lie down - since she usually lies down first then rolls onto one side to do bang bang you're dead. Then the next step after bang bang is roll-over.

It is cute when she does them all together (I think in the hopes she will get her treat faster)!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes they are smart!
Today, I was asking Sadie, "Can you tip your head?" and of course being a Beagle, she would.

I know... Not a trick. Just trying to figure out what I was saying. (But it looked like a trick.)

Now, if she would just learn to "Stay down!" around the dinner table...

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
A friend of mine taught her Sadie to do this routine only she calls it "terrible tragedy". I'll ask what her method for teaching was.

P.S. My husband is from North Wales. Wrexham. Always nice to see a fellow countryman at the board. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
131 Posts
Milla knows this trick! I honestly don't really know how I got her doing it (guess it has been brazen luck :biglaugh: ). Well, I noticed that when we found her out doing something wrong she lay down on her back at once. So I took advantage of it, and she, being smart (and obviously tempted by the bacon I used to convince her), learnt to understand that when I show my gun-like hand, she has to lie on her back. But I really don't know how I succeded in persuading her /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif I tried it with Luce too, but it didn't work at all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i tried looking for it again also but couldnt find it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif theres not nearly half as much on there as there used to be!

I first saw it almost a year ago when i became dead set on getting a beagle instead of sitting there thinking "one day...."

Never mind ey? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif if anyone finds it however Pleeease post the link...I always just searched under "Beagle"

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I feel really bad. When I saw this post I remembered that I said I would ask my friend how she taught her dog this trick. I will talk to her tomorrow and post tomorrow evening or Thurs morning. Tomorrow evening may be late for me as we have the science fair at school. I apologize again. This completely slipped my mind!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Ok, I talked to my friend today. She said her dog was somewhere between two and three years old and already had a lot of agility and obedience training when she taught this one. She said she had her dog go into the down position, made the hand motion, said bang, and gently turned the dog on her side. Then said good dog and gave her a treat. After treating her she gave the release word. I have to say this particular dog is very well trained and has a close bond with my friend. When they were visiting at my house and I opened the door to let the dogs into the back yard, Kylie (my friend's dog) did not exit until she went back into the living room, nudged my friend and was told it's fine, you can go. My friend mentioned that if you use a clicker that works really well with this trick. You click as soon as the dog is in the position you want, and then treat. Good luck. Let me know if you decide to try this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts