Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot some video of Spock performing some tricks this evening. (Again, my floor is filthy, and the light fixtures in the kitchen give everything a yellow tint.) A few of the tricks he does, he's known since he was 4 months old, but playing dead is very new. I got the inspiration from the video from Letterman of Bailey the beagle playing dead. I also remembered how one of my friend's moms would form a gun with her hand, click, and then shout out bang! to make her dog play dead. Apparently Spock is tougher than that dog, and it takes a couple of shots for him to truly go down. Hehe. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think I need you to come teach my dogs some of those tricks. How adorable to watch him crawl and stuff. That is great. My dogs expect a treat after each one of those tricks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nice training work! If you don't mind my asking, what was your technique to get him to play dead? I'd love to teach that to Murphy!

·
Registered
205 Posts
How did you get him to do those tricks??

We've been trying for weeks to get JoJo to turn a circle. Holding the treat in our hand while moving in a circle to get her to follow it with her body. She just moves her head like, What? I'm not moving. I sat, I should get a treat.

But also, Spock is SUPER CUTE! Thank you for the video!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! People don't believe me when I tell him he is the best dog ever
But now I have proof! Hehe.

To get him to play dead:
I got him to lie down, then I did a motion with my hand that he sees as the roll-over command, but I stopped him when he was halfway through the turn, on his back, and said, Bang! Good boy!

It took him a couple of training sessions of doing that before he associated the word bang with rolling over on his back.

I also added in the hand gesture, since the dogs both seem to respond better when I both say a command and use a hand gesture (and Spock can do a lot of his tricks without verbal commands).

When you're teaching, you can substitute play dead or whatever phrase/word you like.

After perhaps a week of training (we don't train every day), I tried the command without rolling him over onto his back manually, and he has gotten better each time. He isn't perfect about staying down on the first shot, but he's working on it

His knowing how to roll over first was most instrumental in getting him to learn that trick, I think.

To get him to crawl:
This one was a little easier. When he was laying down, I held the treat down at floor level and scooted it away from him and said, Crawl. When he tried to get up, I said no and pushed him gently back onto the floor until he started scooting toward the treat. Then I said Good crawl! and repeated the action.

It takes patience to teach both these tricks, and Spock was a little perplexed when I first started to teach him each one. But he caught on quickly. I hope to teach these to Bones someday, but she's much less sedate and a lot more nervous than Spock, so training her to do some tricks (as casually as I train) has proven to be more difficult.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Can Molly come to your house for some lessons?

It wouldn't hurt her to learn a few things.

Great Job on the training and great job by Spock.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Cute video! I love the crawl. Maggie can't seem to get her hind end down when she crawls.
Maggie sure was interested in your voice. She doesn't pay much attention to sounds from the computer any more but she sat right up and listened to you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
great video! I loved the crawl too very smart

1 - 20 of 26 Posts