Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons Beagle, Bama, and our first Beagle, escaped from my sons yard yesterday and was later involved in a fight with another, bigger dog.

A neighbor saw it happening and went to Bama's rescue and brought him home to my son's wife. This losuy stinkin mutt that went after Bama is always roaming the neighborhood and has had run ins with other dogs.

My son called me after he left the vet and was furious. He said I just had to leave my dog at the vet all because this (subistute many bad words here)dosen't keep his dog in his yard. I insisted he call animal control right away to report it and see if they do anything.

Bama has no fear of anything which probably contributed to the severity of his injuries. He has a torn ear, scratched eye, bite marks on his head and neck and very servere gash on his back leg.

As a puppy, Bama stayed next to my wife when she was recovering from having a kidney removed 5 years ago. After her recovery, you could see the bond between them. She took the news quite hard yesterday and wanted to drive to Alabama right then.

I am quite sure he will be fine. However, this incident should serve as a reminder to all of us of our duty to protect our Beags from themselves and their instinct to run free. Inspect your yard for possible escape routes. Never allow someone to open the door to your home without restraining your Beagle first. When you walk your buddy, please do so on a leash, carry a cell phone and a big stick to ward off other dogs.

Bama is the one standing on his back legs in the picture. He was giving a Beagle greeting to someone walking by our yard.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank goodness, it wasn't worse than it was! Poor Bama ... please send some long distance hugs for us. Your reminder is so important, especially for our members who have just added a beagle to their family.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Dog fights are terrible! I'm happy that Bama was not hurt <span style="font-style: italic">very</span> seriously...although I'm sure the poor little guy is going to hurt for a couple of days.

I blame that owner for this. And in the end, the dog who is allowed to wander is going to pay a heavy price.

My thoughts are with Bama...heal up soon, baby!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Poor Bama! I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Caesar has started to dig under our fence so we're always checking for new holes to fill in. When we redo our yard next month we're going to build some kind of under ground fence all around the yard so that there won't be any escapes.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, poor Bama! It's good he wasn't too badly injured. I hope he's feeling better soon. Jersey and I send some long distance love to him. I hate when owners just let their dogs wander freely. I hope your son goes after them for the vet bills.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Poor baby! I hate when people don't take care of their animals and let them run wild. Luckily, we don't have much of that in our neighborhood, but my neighbor's granddaughter used to not pay attention and let her g-ma's lab mix out to run loose. She got into my garage and killed my 12 y/o cat, Jasper. It took me almost 3 years to finally get another cat because I was so afraid to lose another to her. Then I made sure Phoebe does not leave our backyard and is only out there when supervised.

Give Bama gentle hugs and well wishes. I hope your son can get justice.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
that is just horrible ...I'm glad to hear that Bama will be ok. some people are just ignorant

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Joe and Vinny

My son called me after he left the vet and was furious. He said I just had to leave my dog at the vet all because this (subistute many bad words here)dosen't keep his dog in his yard. I insisted he call animal control right away to report it and see if they do anything.

I am quite sure he will be fine. However, this incident should serve as a reminder to all of us of our duty to protect our Beags from themselves and their instinct to run free. Inspect your yard for possible escape routes. Never allow someone to open the door to your home without restraining your Beagle first. When you walk your buddy, please do so on a leash, carry a cell phone and a big stick to ward off other dogs.
Poor Bama
Hope he is ok and has no mental scars from the attack!!

Will animal control be able to do much? As your dog wasn't in his yard either, there may not be much they can do as both dogs were loose.

How appalling that the mutt's owners let him roam
I've had run ins with loose dogs when I've been walking mine, and its very scary.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

The two drains were taken out yesterday around the two large wounds on his legs. These were more severe than I thought. Bama took a total of 60 stiches to close everything up.

He is taking Amoxicillan, an anti-inflamatory and pain meds, plus he has wear a halo until the stiches come out in 10 days. He is not happy about the halo at all. He is walking without much discomfort, except for going up and down the stairs, which my son carries him.

And this just in, Animal Services has not I repeat HAS NOT been out to investigate. Afreakinmazing.
I shall call on a phrase used often in the Marine Corps to describe situations like this; what a Golf Foxtrot (phonetic cleaned up version)

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Oh no! Poor Bama! I am so sorry this happened to him!!
Your son should definately call the dog warden and send a copy of Bama's vet bills to that irresponsible pet owner. Poor Bama must have been so scared! But as bad as they are, his injuries sound like something he will recover from. At least we can be thankful for that. I sure hope the neighbor dog owner does the right thing!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Glad to hear Bama is getting on ok. 60 stitches on a little beagle - wow, the poor bugger

Originally Posted By: GenieOh no! Poor Bama! I am so sorry this happened to him!!
Your son should definately call the dog warden and send a copy of Bama's vet bills to that irresponsible pet owner. Poor Bama must have been so scared! But as bad as they are, his injuries sound like something he will recover from. At least we can be thankful for that. I sure hope the neighbor dog owner does the right thing!
Sadly, you will likely not be able to get the owner to pay the vet bills because both dogs were roaming/loose. It doesn't matter if Bama was out due to an accident, or that the agro dog was let out intentionally. It sucks and its not fair, but sadly that is the way it (usually) works.

If the dog had attacked Bama when he was out walking on the lead with his owners, or the dog had come into Bama's yard and attacked him, or had attacked Bama at the dog park - you would have a more solid case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts