Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Sherry is developing bald spots where her harness and collar goes. First of all I noticed some bald spots on her chest and worked out that they were caused by her harness rubbing her when on a walk. So, I stopped using it and started using just her regular collar and now today I've noticed that she has bald sore spots under her collar /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I can't walk her in nothing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I'm guessing that because she has never been walked before and has never had anything round her neck or body that maybe her coat is thin or her skin is too soft. She needs hardening up a bit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I've ordered a different type of harness for her that is very soft (the ones that Andrew & Erin use here from the Puppia Range). I'm hoping that it will be the solution.

Her poor chest got red raw and even bled a bit on just one half hour walk. I was horrified when I got home and saw the damage as she didn't complain at all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Has anyone else ever had this sort of problem?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:
Poor Sherry ... she didn't complain at all /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Sherry probably is just so happy to go for walkies. Bagel has never had that problem so I'm of little help! I sure hope the new harness works!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Oh poor Sherry! Austin had the same problem with his first collar. His coat is fairly short and only about 1/3 as thick as Shasta's. The end of the folded over part on the collar was very rough and took off the fur and was making the skin bleed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif We finally found a collar that had no rough edges and laid very flat and that solved that problem. I know that there are harness that are padded and that might solve your problem. As a short term solution maybe Sherry could wear something under the harness - T-shirt, sports bra, just kidding! :rolleye11:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker has the same problem - the area under her harness in her armpits is completely bald and earlier this year she developed runny infected sores under there so right now she is just wearing a collar and luckily that doesn't seem to cause skin irritation around her neck, but she did have surgery for burst discs in her neck a few years ago and therefore using a collar isn't ideal and I don't want to do it indifinitely.

I have to admit I have been too busy at work the past few months to really search out other harness options... our local pet stores don't really have anything appropriate (there was something we saw that was usually used for pugs that seemed quite strong but soft to the touch - but the guy was going to have to order in "the biggest size" and still wasn't sure it would fit her (poor Booker). If you find something that works well for Sherry before we find something for Booker please let us know - and we'll definitely do the same!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by BoulderBeagles:
As a short term solution maybe Sherry could wear something under the harness - T-shirt, sports bra, just kidding! :hi:

I agree Bob, she is soooo happy with tail wagging that she could be in agony and still not complain.

I don't know how long it will take for the new harness to come but if it's a success I'll let you all know.

I've noticed that her coat is really thin because when she gets wet you can see her skin showing through while Rosa's coat is very thick and dense. I don't know if it's an age thing or because she has spent her life being undernourished and ill treated.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:
I've noticed that her coat is really thin because when she gets wet you can see her skin showing through while Rosa's coat is very thick and dense. I don't know if it's an age thing or because she has spent her life being undernourished and ill treated.
Last summer I fostered a dog with thin, wiry hair, who had problems with her collar. She now lives with my brother on the farm, and since becoming healthy, her coat is thicker and less fragile. I'm hoping Sherry's new diet will improve her hair....
perhaps 'til then, you could add some sherpa lining to the underside of her collar. Even if sewing isn't your thing, there are strong, fabric glues that might work.
Good Luck....give Sherry a kiss from us...hope she heals up quickly....poor brave girl.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
This isn't a problem I've experienced, but I think Sherry's coat will probably improve with good care and nutrition. When we adopted Li'l Girl, she had some bald patches on her sides, and her coat wasn't all that thick. Now, it's really dense. Hopefully, Sherry's new harness will help. Give the sweet girl a tummy rub from me. :heart:

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Oh, Jennifer...I respect your vegan choice...but your beags have greater dietary demands than you or I combined! (Im not going to scold you for starving them of what they need), but beags are way more active than either of us were in our younger years! Our beags have lived longer & longer over the years thanks to a more fish than red meat diet like we have! Even though we hunt & harvest "less fatty" "red meat" animals. Beagles still have the "Wild dog" instinct in them to crave wild meat as mine do! Sure, Homer is a "wuss" but Goober is a "neanderthol" like I am &
we like freshly killed meat! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your post red but I'm not sure what it has to do with Sherry's "bald spots" problem /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I may be a vegetarian but I don't feed my dogs the same as me :lol2: they have an excellent diet suitable for the omnivores that they are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts