Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I had posted for help on how to get Bailey to calm down enough for me to trim his nails. Until recently, I had been using the "one nail-a-day" method which worked out well. The other night Bailey was lying on the bed, so I decided to break out the nail clippers. I was simply in shock when Bailey just lay there and let me cut all his nails. This may not seem like a big deal to some, but after several unsuccessful attempts, this was a reason to celebrate!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
It IS a big deal for you. That just goes to show you that Bailey finally found out that you were NOT going to kill him when you cut his nails :doh:

Hopefully, he'll remember that on the next time!!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Good boy Bailey :thumbup:

It's so much easier when they are happy for you to cut them. I find it's better when they are very tired and sleepy, but not too sleepy otherwise they get grumpy with you :rolleyes: . Rosa is very good at letting me cut her's. I haven't tried cutting Sherry's yet but I'm sure she will be fine because she is so laid back.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Susi does pretty well with nail clipping, but Muffin, the border collie I had, hated it. She'd lay there on her back and let me do the job, but from the time I took her first paw in my hand till the time I'd finish the fourth foot she just lay there and howled like a wolf. She wasn't in pain, she'd keep howling between feet. She was just protesting in the only way she knew how.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Nail clipping is so hard for us. Last time my husband took her to petco because he had stitches in his hand and didn't want to hold her. The guy there couldn't do it and my husband ended up holding her anyway. It takes both of us to do nails, usually one or two at a time. I offer great treats. Nothing works. I have done everything the vet says and have played with and touched her feet daily since she was a baby.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by threedognight:
This may not seem like a big deal to some,
It sounds like a very big deal to me!! Shiloh won't let me anywhere near her toenails with clippers, in fact when the vet does it, he needs a tech to hold her!! :eyes: She's so bad!! When she was in a few weeks ago for bloodwork, I forgot to ask them to also trim her nails, and they were getting pretty long then! Now...I need to get her to the groomers!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Way to go Bailey! :hi:

I do need to add that this change started after I bought new clippers. The old ones were big and clumsy looking. The new ones are much smaller (barely bigger than my hand end to end)and probably don't look as intimadating to Jersey.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Beau and suzy are shockingly really good when I trim their nails, I roll them over on their back, scratch their belly and start trimming. My uncles dog, the dobi, is HORRIBLE! My uncle never cut his nails when he was a pup so I get my work out with him!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts