Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey lost a nail...and the quick was exposed....She just kept licking it like dogs do.....about 9 days later she lost another nail....I took her to the vet because loosing one, it happens sometimes, but two, something is wrong....and now a third ....The vet gave me a wash for her feet and some prednisone.....It has been a very hectic week going through a Hurricane and loosing water a power for 6 days, so I didnt stay with what was suppose to be done....But we got power yesterday evening and we are back on track with everything....But she is still licking her paws and nails....We cant see anything wrong ....Has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing with a dog.....I am taking her back to the vet Monday.......

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had a 30# terrier/chihuahua mix who had the same problem. It started when she was maybe 10, and continued until she died at 14 1/2. She'd lose at least 2 a year for no obvious reason, like getting a nail hooked on something. I would notice a nail suddenly looking extra long, or notice her licking a lot, and upon closer inspection see that the shell of the nail had mostly detached from the quick. When it would finally come off, it would bleed like mad until she licked it into submission.

Her nails were also an odd texture inside -- ie, when they were trimmed and you could see the cut end, they were almost crumbly looking. I never got a diagnosis, but I am pretty certain it was some type of fungal infection. I could have spent some money delving into the cause and putting her on some type of medication for life, but it was not affecting her health otherwise. Her blood work was always perfect. The biggest issue was the bleeding when the nail came off, but she'd clean that up for me too.

So, I would pursue the idea that it's a fungal infection for a start. Save the nail if another falls off and take it to your vet. You might even be able to mail the nail to a vet school - there is a great one at Univ. of Mo in Columbia.

Links to Univ of Mo:

Univ of Mo Vet School

Diagnostic procedures available:

Information and Services

You could contact them via email or phone first to see if they could help if you sent a specimen.

Good luck, and please report back if you find any answers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daisy the Devil Dog......You are right, Big Big words but lotssss of info.....Many Many Thanks.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts