Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, I knew it would eventually happen and now Bailey has killed a wild rabbit in our back yard.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

So, I called the vet and tried to express my concerns to them, but we played phone tag yesterday and I can't seem to get one of the tech's on the phone. He is current with his rabbies shot, so I am just curious if I should be concerned of anything else???

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I may have been a little harsh in saying he "killed" it. He ran it until I think it just tired out and gave up.

My Mom is typically with him during the day and she called me to tell me she found him in the middle of the yard with something and after going out to inspect, discovered what he had, scolded him and was able to get it away from him to dispose of it. She told me he didn't appear to have any blood on himself and was working on pulling the fur off of it rather than biting or eating it...thankfully!

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's still crazy though! My Monty hasn't gotten into too much trouble outside yet...then again it's been winter majority of his time with me. Maybe in the summer i'll have rabbit stories. He does try to bite the cat sometimes though...i think they're just playing though.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Sorry, but that is what they are bred for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Poor rabbit but probably one confused beagle.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Beagle Bailey:
was working on pulling the fur off of it rather than biting or eating it...thankfully!
Pulling the fur off?? Mybe he was trying to catch you a set of earmuffs or something! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Since he didn't have any blood on him, and seems to have run after it till it gave up...would you say he hounded it to death?? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Bailey probably did exactly what you suspect.

He probably chased the poor bunny until it fatigued and died. Some wildlife are more prone to it than others...bunnies and adult deer it seems are very suceptible. It is called "capture myopathy".

Little Bailey only did what most doggies would do given the chance.

Poor little bunny. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Yup, Beagles are hunters, that is what they do.

Sadie and Pooh Bear have caught 2 squirells and several birds in the back yard over the years.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There's no reason to be concerned, Bailey's just being a beagle. I'm sorry for the bunny 'cause they're so cute, and I always hate to see one killed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif This will probably gross you out, but our honorary beagle, Traveler, sometimes catches squirrels and eats them completely....teeth, hair, eyeballs, everything! :pukey: He's never had any ill effects from these disgusting episodes.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Consern? what consern? I would not worry unless the rabbits running in your backyard are cooked rabbits!
You may want to deworm him in about 10 days if you really want to play it safe...
Good job Bailey!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Toby has done this a couple of times. Vet said not to worry since he is current on his shots but to watch out for sores - in case the rabbit scratched him somewhere. He also does the same thing (pulling on the hair). I think he believes he is playing with a stuffed rabbit. He shakes them back and forth but never breaks the skin. It is always sad that the poor bunny dies, but I do believe it is a hunting trait beagles are born with. Luckily Toby will "drop it" without much of a fuss. So....I wouldn't worry too much. Wait till you get the "intelligent" bunnies what will come up to the fence and taunt knowing the dog cannot get to them! Julie

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Amy,

The only thing I would worry about is more rabbit deaths in the back yard. Although, word is probably out in the local rabitt community about the killer Beagle by now. Don't be surprised if a rabitt gang shows up seeking revenge for the untimley demise of their buddy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
If my Maggie were reading this post, she'd be pea greeen with envy! She would high-five Bailey....and say 'way to go bro'! :biglaugh:

The heartworm medicine I give my dogs also has several other worm preventatives in it ie: roundworm, tapeworm and hookworm. I'm wondering if this would cover the worm question?

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
yes it would. Tapeworm is the primary consern. So I guess, you really have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can tuleremia (rabbit fever) be passed to dogs? It sure can infect humans. When I lived up north we never went rabbit hunting before the first freeze since a freeze would kill any rabbits with tuleremia. We also wore rubber gloves when cleaning them, and always cooked them well done. (I do love fried rabbit, though.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts