Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey had a seizure about 2 hours ago.....It lasted close to 10 min.... The first one was May 16 ,06....Thank God..Victor was here this time...He laid right beside her and talked to her and petted her the whole time.....and I sat beside them.....She just turned 6 last week....She is resting on the futon in here with me....Victor called a fishing friend whose wife is a Vet. and said to watch her to make sure she doesnt have another one in 24 hr....and to call our Vet on monday.....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm so sorry. That must have been terrible to see. I hope all goes well. Is there an emergency vet near you just in case? We'll be thinking about you.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Oh my goodness - I so feel for you having to go through that. We're sending Bailey our best thoughts and hopes that is the last seizure she has for a very, very long time.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sorry to hear this. It is scary at first. Murphy has seizures from time to time. He usually has one every 3-4 months. He has also had them for the last 8 years.

I posted this some time ago with how to handle it:
Quote:When your dog has a seizure, you need to do a few things:

1. Remain calm
2. Note the time and duration of the seizure, from onset to stopage of shaking to fully recovered.
3. Keep your dog from hurting itself.
4. Let your dog know you are there.
5. Do not put anything in its mouth!
6. Give all the info to your vet.

If your dog's seizure lasts longer than 10 minutes or doesn't start coming around after the episode stops, get to a vet fast.
As long as Bailey does not have them frequently or in clusters, she can live medication free. In not, phenobarbitol or potassium bromide are the meds of choice. Neither is expensive.

Since she had one a year ago, I wouldn't worry. Just get the info to you vet.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
So sorry to hear about the seizure. Don't panic, one can do a lot these days. Our first beagle started with them at about 7 years of age and lived to be 14. Make sure your vet checks her out. Thinking of you
Angela

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I feel your pain Lynne. Beagle #2 and current head of the house, Vinny, is a full blown Epi-Beagle. Meaning he has been diagnosed with Epilepsy.

His first seizure occured at the age of 6 months. His seizures at one point happened so often, we were afraid to leave him alone.

The advice Murphey's Dad listed is right on target. However I would list a few others.
1. Keep an ice pack handy and apply to Bailey's back when the seizure occurs. This seems to lesson the intensity and duration of the seizure.

2. After the seizure has ended, it is important to raise the blood sugar level. The energy expended by a dog during a seizure, is likend to a human running a marathon. The quickest way to raise the blood sugar level, is give 2 tablespoons of Bryers Vanilla ice cream.

Take Bailey to the vet, no matter what. A simple blood test can determine if Bailey is an Epi or not.

Seizures in dogs are not uncommon, just a little scary. Here is a web site that is devoted to the problem of canine seizures. It has been a great source of information for us.

Good luck /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Poor Bailey /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif and you and Victor too. how scary for you guys .......I sure hope that it is a good long time before it comes around again.

smooches to Bailey :heart:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Lynne -- how frightening for you all -- you have gotten great advice from both Joes. I know the "stay calm" is very hard to do and so much easier when there are two of you with Bailey. I hope that the frequency of the seizures doesn't increase but, if they do, please make sure that your vet has experience with treating seizures. Do spend some time reading at the website Joe posted -- the Epi-Angels are truly that! Hugs to you all!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Prayers are on the way from Tippi and me :animal18: Hope Bailey is feeling better today.

Lora&Tippi

"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
How scary!

Good advice given from Murphy's and Vinny's dads.

Please pass on some extra, gentle lovin' from Henry and I.

~Denise~

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Seizures are so scary. Our Spook has them, and up until Thanksgiving we thought he might have outgrown them. That day, he had cluster seizures which really frightened up. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif His vet put him on phenobarbitol, and he's doing fine. He'll just need bloodwork every 6 months to monitor his levels. Murphy's dad gave excellent advice, as did Joe. We've done the Breyers ice cream thing to raise Spook's blood sugar.

I hope Bailey won't have another seizure, but the good news is that seizures can be controlled. Please keep us posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts