Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Bagel in for his annual senior physical (blood work, tests, etc.) and a concern about his teeth. This was the first time his teeth had been a concern. He had a problem with the teeth on his left side and had eventually been chewing his kibble on the right side for awhile. He had a couple of left side teeth that looked bad so he got scheduled for a teeth cleaning and possible extraction of any teeth that couldn’t be cleaned so I dropped him off in the morning and picked him up at night. He did have a couple teeth removed and talk about a sad beagle when I came to pick him up. He was still groggy from the anaesthesia stubbing around and his flag was not flying . I had to lift him into my van and carry him into the house. He wasn’t hungry and slept till the next morning and that is when the fun began.

He could only have soft food for a week so I had to soak his kibble with chicken broth and then microwave it to get it soggy and then there were these pills the Bagel needed to take. A small pill for pain and a large antibiotic pill. I could easily hide the pain pill but there was no fooling the Bagel about the other pill. A butter knife, a big hunk of creamy peanut butter and twenty minutes of effort finally got the pill with peanut butter on Bagel’s tongue where it was consumed. It didn’t help that Bagel still wasn’t hungry and ignored the soaked kibble I had prepared for him.. I had 10 days of pills to be administered twice a day and I thought oh this is going to be fun! Bagel stayed in the house and slept in our bed all the next day.

I came home that night and found a happy beagle but the soggy kibble wasn’t eaten yet! I got out the peanut butter and prepared for the worst. The Bagel looked at the peanut butter and then looked at the me and I could read his mind; “I know there is a pill in there!” I said yes but you’ve got to take it. He looked resigned but let me coat his tongue with the dreaded pill laden peanut butter. The next morning he was hungry and the routine developed. I’d offer, he look at me to tell me he knew about the pill, I’d insist, he would comply and take his pill, and his flag was flying, he was starting to feel better!

He got so good with his routine I got too careless on Sunday. I offered him the peanut butter, he stared, I said you have to, he licked the knife and knocked the pill on the carpet and the peanut butter in his mouth. I gave him a disapproving look, then looked at the pill figuring all it was going to cost me was a little more peanut butter and the dang if Bagel didn’t figure it out. He leaned down and ate the pill off the carpet. Good Bagel.

This morning was his last pill. Today he got dry kibble again for breakfast but tonight I am going to offer him a scope of peanut butter without a pill, I’ll see how long it takes him to realize there isn’t a dreaded pill lurking in the yummy peanut butter.

Other than the teeth on his left side, the Bagel passed all his test with flying colors. Good news for almost 15 years old doggie. The Bagel is all the better from his teeth cleaning/removal and still has more teeth left than I do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I can sympathize with the pill thing, I am currently in day 3 of giving a cat antibiotics. I have a lot of experience pilling cats and this one is pretty easy. With Maggie, I have discovered that Velveeta Cheese is the perfect thing for hiding pills.
Its great that Bagel doing well at almost 15. I hope he has many more healthy years.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great news about the Bagel's physical! I thank my lucky stars every day that I got Maggie to take pills easily when she was young -- she now gets ten different meds a day (and more when she gets another infection) although two are liquid. Actually find the pills easier than the liquids. I just stick the pills in the inside of her mouth and hold her mouth shut until her tongue comes out all the way -- she has, on occasion, tricked me and kept the pills in the side of her mouth and then spit them out. Some of the pills are split in half and they taste really nasty that way so follow those up with something sweet like her Nutrical. Thank goodness for $4 prescriptions!!
Okay, Bob -- it is way overdue for a picture of Bagel -- never, ever seen one and Maggie is asking, not me!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad Bagel is feeling better. It's good to hear that he's in good health. I don't have any problem giving the dogs pills, but Miss Priss is another story. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eyes.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're such a good boy Bagel! Daddy sounds mighty proud of his boy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/angel.gif I am fortunate. Jersey will usually take pills without any problems. She thinks peanut butter is medicine. Amber on the other hand....she was a problem child when it came to pill taking. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smack.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, Bagel. You are a great little ole' beagle.

I can see how you go about it, Bob, but I just open Chloe's mouth and shove the pills down her throat. Works for both of us.

Oh, btw - I <u>may </u>come to Vegas in April, we can have a little BW meeting with Bagel and Chloe....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jassy, I never thought about using Velveeta. This is the first time in the ten years the Bagel has been with with me I've had to give him a pill! I knew I needed something soft otherwise I would have just wrapped the pill in a cold cut or something. It didn't help the first few times as his mouth was still sore and he didn't want to open it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Judy, the Bagel and I have to go to a race on saturday but now that we can up load files, I will try to figure out how and post a couple pictures of the old man.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Awww poor Bagel having to have teeth out and take horrid pills but great news that his teeth were the only problem found.

I'm having the same problems with Sherry taking her heart meds. Currently we are getting on ok with hiding them in a piece of sausage.

Judy, I've got a smashing pic of Bagel that I sometimes have as wallpaper on my pc. I'm sure that Bob and Bagel won't mind me posting it.

Attachments

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow -- Bagel is quite the handsome beagle! Can't wait until I get home and show Maggie ... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/heart.gif Looking forward to more pics from this weekend, Bob!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
What a handsome boy (and so good to take his pills). We give ours their pills in bread and it works, but I have to make sure the bread is fresh and squishy or they'll find the pills and spit them out.

I have to tell you, I love the name Bagel. Not long after we got Duke, he got ahold of my bagel and munched it and I started calling him Bagel Breath. Every time I use that nickname, I think of your Bagel. Glad to have a pic to go with the name.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I think Bagel needs to hold a training session on how to take medicines......all 4 of my dogs need to attend !!!

Bagel is very handsome indeed. glad to hear your physical went well !!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
homer must be the only oddball.he has never had a problem taking a pill.he gets his heartworm pill once a month and vitamins daily.we call them treats and he gets so excited....lol.drop them in his bowl and hide them in the kibble and he will root around in there till he finds it

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Calvin and I recently went through the "dental thing", pain pills and all......peanut butter worked for us too; I feel so badly for Bagel and Bob, but I'm glad to hear Bagel's flag is flying again.

I'm sure it made the Bagel feel better to get those teeth out, so I'm sure he forgives Bob for the difficult week. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hapfac01.gif

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Aww, glad to hear Bagel is ok and only lost a few teeth. Bob, while you're getting pics of the Bagel, we need one of you too. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pic.gif I think I have that picture of Bagel on my screen saver at work.
Kip cut her pad about a week and a half ago, she's still on meds. I have to shove them down her throat or she'll spit it out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
When a friend's senior dog was on a variety of pills, I bought her a pill crusher from the drugstore to make giving the pills a little easier. I don't know why I didn't think of that until I read through this thread about the problem of giving pills to our critters; my boyfriend and I have been giving our newly-fixed Spock and Bones pain meds for almost a week and coprophagia pills for about two weeks using the peanut butter method.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So glad Bagel is doing so well! He is handsome AND smart. I wish Lucy and Flora would act more like Bagel.

When taking pills, Flora can suck the peanut butter off the pill and spit it out. When I tell her to take it, she just looks at me like, just try to make me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts