Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get very uneasy over long holiday weekends. Also add into the mix that my regular Vet was out of town until tomorrow. Megan gave us one of those scares. Saturday morning, a little off her feed, but not too much. Saturday evening did not want dinner or even pieces of my hamburger! Still no other symptoms. Being on high alert by then, I followed her out into the yard. At first I though it was diarrhea, but then saw it was more blood than diarrhea. I had my usual reaction when one of my beagles are not well - stomach drops to my toes, vision narrows, heart almost stops, etc. Thank the lord for emergency clinics. Off we go at 9 pm. They can see us right away. The problem was hemorragic gastroentritis. She was one sick puppy. They kept her 24 hours and while she is still not totally back to herself, I know she is on her way. What upsets me now is we do not know what caused it - Austin and Shasta are fine. We also have no idea how to prevent it in the future. We are so glad to have her back home, that I hardly let her out of my sight. This may just be another something I will have to add to my list of keep an eye out for. So, the next two days are pamper Megan days!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh dear....too scary! Glad she's recovering now!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Thank goodness Megan is on the mend! I know what you mean about long holidays. Our pups seem to have a sixth sense about when the vet is out of town, etc. Invariably, that is when something will happen. I used to get my vet's schedule well in advance and always had a back-up plan. As Maggie got sicker, I made certain that I had the head tech's home number -- she was kind enough to give me her cell number and told me how late in the evening and how early in the morning I could call. This averted several emergency hospital trips!
Thank you for including the all is well in your subject line to keep us from panicking! Please give updates and, hopefully, all stays calm with everyone.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Glad to hear Megan will be ok!

Before our St. Bernard passed last year we had a couple of Saturday evening emergency vet trips-not fun at all.

Give Megan (and everyone) extra hugs!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm happy to hear that Meagan is doing better now. They do seem to know the worst times. Jersey had the same problem once and we ended up in the Animal ER at 11 p.m. She couldn't stop vomiting and had very bloody diarrhea. We live in an apartment and the people across the hall from us left a very stinky bag of garbage out in the hall one day. Jersey licked up something that was leaking out of the bag and that was the cause of her problems. Did Meagan get into something she shouldn't have? Could she have picked something up on a walk that the other two didn't get to?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts