Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe when these dogs were found they had not eaten much and were malnourished, and the ppl who were caring for them were feeding them scraps, and when i tried to give them dry food they didnt go for it. Tiny, the smaller of the two, seems to want to eat any thing for most part. However Sam doesnt seem interested in reward treats or his dry food. The only way ive really been able to get them to eat the dry stuff was by, on the fist night mixing (catfood size) wet dogfood with the dry and they ate it . I am trying to get them on a schedule. I put there food down in the morning and if they dont eat it, it goes up and then again at night. But I am concerned when they dont eat in the morning and dont seem hungry enough to eat at night either. So id made a chuch roast with chunks of patatoes and carrots, and i added some of the juice and vegetables to the dry food and the ate like they havent eaten in weeks. What should i do, and what is healthy for them at this point?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I believe dog food really is best for our pups. They are just not used to eating it. Keep putting the kibble down, with water to make a little gravy, or with a little wet food. If they don't eat, take it up. Put it back over and over. They will eat, they will be hungry, and they will get used to eating the new food.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You've gotten some good advice already. Problem with giving them the yummy pot roast gravy and veggies is that now they will expect that. I would agree with Marley's Mommy -- if the pups get hungry enough, they will eat. Stay away from inbetween treats/snacks until they have gotten into the habit of eating their dog food. If you give in and give them human food, that's what they will expect and transition will take even longer. Maggie was always a finicky eater -- I would leave her food down for 30 minutes max. Using only dry food is an advantage as you don't waste food that isn't eaten. Since you already know that Tiny & Sam were malnourished when found, I would suggest that you invest in a high-quality dog food (you can do a BW search and see previous posts about rating dog foods). Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
What type of kibble are you using? Often, dogs will snub a lower quality kibble, especially if they have been eating human food their whole lives.

I have nothing against adding healthy stuff to my dogs food. I have added rice, meat, yogurt, cottage cheese, a bit of ketchup, broth, gravy, you name it (not all at once of course). I also know a lot of people who actually home cook for their dogs.

I think that you are making the right decision trying to get them on a balanced schedule, whatever you can do to make it work, if it is healthy, I say go for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now I am using Purina Beneful. They dont like it dry, but when i add beef flavored wet food they thoroughly enjoy it. Also, i have a chicken, egg, and bacon flavor wet food that i tried this morning and they didnt seem so enthused about that at all. Beef flavor seems to be the way to go. The wet food brand is called Mighty Dog wich is by Purina as well. I will also try the warm water theory.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Just a bit of advice on dog food but I would start to read the ingredient labels. The first 5 ingredients are the most important and should not have corn or any by-products in it. You really want to avoid anything that is too grainy as well.

Just looking at the Beneful Original, in the first 5 ingredients, there is nothing healthy in it.

INGREDIENTS
Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E),

Corn is a filler, chicken by-product is not actually chicken, it's the left overs that should basically go in the garbage, corn again, whole wheat flour is ok if your dogs do not have food allergies, and then animal fat. Really if you look at it, there is not much meat (if any) in this food at all.

These are a few dog foods that I would suggest you look at if you can find them.

Merrick (this is what my dogs are on now). Warm water can be added to the kibble and it makes a gravy. The one I am using is wheat free (Spencer has allergies).
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=14&s=20277

Fromm 4 Star
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d-d-duck.php

Nature's Variety Instinct
http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.la...24F2ELpL1933CF9

With a higher quality food, you won't have to fees as much so although they may be a little more expensive, they will last longer. They often have a wet formula that you can buy that you can mix in with the wet food and still keep their diets balanced. With the Merrick, they have a lot of wet foods that have chunks of meat and veggies and gravy in the can, the dogs actually love it.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I sometimes put a "topping" on top of their bowl of dry dog food. Sometimes a tiny bit of cheese tore up in tony bits all through the food. Or some boiled chicken tore up in their food. or a bit of wet dog food stirred up in the dry isn't a bad idea if it is a good quality wet food.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When they get hungry enough, they will eat. The more people food you keep giving them the longer it will take to get them on dog food. I recommend a brand other than Purina though. I use Innova dry kibble with Merrick canned for Jersey. She'll even eat the Innova by itself if I don't give her any canned with it. I agree with Spenser's Mom about the quality of foods. I go through a 16 lb. bag of dry food about every 4-5 weeks. Yes, it's around $24 for that bag, but I don't have to feed Jersey as much of it as there are less fillers and more nutrients. And, not only do I have to feed her less, but less fillers means less poop to clean up too! Just stand your ground with them. They'll come around. They won't let themselves starve.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Tiny&Sam:
Right now I am using Purina Beneful. They dont like it dry, but when i add beef flavored wet food they thoroughly enjoy it.
Beneful is probably about as low quality as you can go (though you wouldn't know it by what they charge for that garbage). It's grain loaded, full of sorbitol (pure sugar), articicial colors ...
A good food is worth it's weight in gold. If you must buy grocery store kibble, even Purina ONE would be leaps & bounds better than Beneful. It's Purina's version of Kibbles N Bits.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree with most - if they get hungry, they will eat. I also agree that a good quality food is, in the long run, the most economical. I bought a small bag of Beneful when it first came out, but after reading the label, it went in the garbage - it actually has an "F" rating on some of the dog food ratings. I normally feed "Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice" - it's one of the better foods, and it's the only one available here locally. It isn't cheap - about $37 for a 40# bag, but they all love it, it takes less of it, and there's less "clean up". Strangely enough, everyone I've heard of that uses Beneful says their dogs LOVE it - it's junk food for dogs. I wean my pups to Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Food "mush", and recommend it to people that adopt my pups. There are other very good quality foods, but living in a small town, they're just not available here.
At times, I do "home cook" - usually if I have a nursing mom that isn't interested in "straight kibble", I'll make "doggie stew" (rice, protein, like chicken or hamburger, mixed veggies) to mix with their kibble - or if I have a sick dog, I cook for them to tempt them to eat. My dogs rarely get any human food - except if I cook it for them, EXCEPT for their birthdays, they get a special treat (of course, they all join in).
Funny, when I was a kid, dog foods really didn't exist. Everyone fed their dogs table scraps and no one thought anything about it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have to agree with spencers mum in regards to the low quality dry food and lack of nutrients. We are B.A.R.F feeders www.drianbillinghurst.com and only feed kibble when we have new rescues comming through as its best not to alter the diet of a highly stressed rescue in the first few days.

We have found the following foods great to entice a stressed, underweight dog to eat: Roast Chicken with the skin on (no bone obviously, Raw Lambs neck,Raw Black Pudding, Sardines. Hand feeding at this stage is also a great way to entice these dogs; but there is also not point in further stressing a dog that wont eat, Make sure their fluids are kept up and monitor them, they will eat when they are hungry.

There is no nutritional value in Rice, Potato etc they are just fillers that the dogs bodies cannot break down correctly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After having Myra for a while, we added Cello to the family and for some reason, Myra's eating declined sharply. We aren't sure if she felt like she had to save it for him, or what, but she would eat maybe half a bowl a meal, consistently for a week or so. That's when we started experimenting with mixins. First came Pumpkin, lauded for it's fiber and vitamin content, Myra LOVES it on her food. We mix one spoonful with her half cup of food and she devours it. Not leaving well enough alone, we also started yogurt spoonfuls, which are great for digestion, protein, vitamins, etc. We now serve breakfasts of yogurt mixed in and dinners of pumpkin mixed in with their normal amount of food. Myra is once again thrilled about meal time, almost as excited as her little brother.

On dog food, My pups were started on Nutro and Royal Canin, which they liked well enough. Not ready to leave well enough alone (as usual for me,) I switched them to Nature's Variety and California Natural, which is a step even beyond (by having more protein and vitamins, and less grains.)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
How about trying to add a little water (warm) to their dry food. That brings out the smells and tempts them. It works with Chloe when she seemed to not be very hungry.
Ol' Roy sells kibble that creates a thick gravy whenever moistened. It is at wal mart. Ol' roy isn't the best choice when it comes to nutrition, but you could just use it for a while to get them accustomed to dry food.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts