Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Menolly's sick.
Her stools were a bit runny the first two days, but firmed up yesterday. Then today while I was out, Mom said she threw up a worm.
YUCK! Ony an hour or two ago she had violent, watery diarrhea.

I'm sooo worried. She doesn't seem sick aside from her digestive system and has a good appetite, but still! Good thing she's going to the vet tomorrow. Please pray for her. She's already my baby and I don't want anything to happen to her.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Roundworms! They're very common in puppies - and your vet can treat her easily. Not fun, but common. Strangely enough, the only puppies I've had worm problems with were the two adult females I adopted that had puppies. Both of them had puppies with worms and they're YUCKY. The pups that I have raised here have always been de-wormed by my vet at an early age and we've had no problems. My vet de-worms every puppy I have with every vet visit, which apparently stops the problems - but the adults I adopted weren't so lucky. You can buy wormer at pet stores, Walmart, or whereever pet supplies are sold, but the Strongoid my vet uses works quickly and efficiently!
Good luck with her vet check. After treatment she'll pass a lot more, so be prepared!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Yep, sounds like roundworms to me too. My cat had them shortly after I got her. One pill from the vet and they were gone.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When Lottie had puppies, they were fine for about the first month - they were too young to go to the vet for de-worming before that. But Bella got very sick - she quit eating, quit playing, just about quit everything. I took her to the vet and he had to hydrate her several times - finally I suggested worms, and he said, well, worms don't usually exhibit these types of symptoms - but he de-wormed her anyway, and she was FULL of the nasty things, so I brought home enough for the other puppies - and yep, they all had roundworms. I almost lost my Bella - if I hadn't pretty much insisted that he try the de-worming, I don't think she would have lived much longer - which is one reason she is so very precious to me. It's an easy fix - but they can make puppies very sick. Last time JoJo was in heat, I insisted that he de-worm her -- just in case (tho her pups have never had problems).
Tapeworms are a little more difficult - and expensive to dispose of. The pills and liquid that work for the other parasites don't necessarily work for tapeworms - and the special meds for them are pretty pricey - especially for 9 dogs!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When Duke was a pup, he had worms and threw them up (EWWWWW). The vet was able to take care of the problem quickly and easily. Like your baby, he seemed fine and we had no clue until we saw the worms.

Hope she feels better soon!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, good news and bad news...

I really jumped to conclusions about the worms. Evidently she pooped on top of some earthworms and the whiteness was a trick of the light. I didn't actually SEE her pass worms...anyway, the vet identified them as earthworms but recommended worming her anyway. The initial test came back negative...weird!

Anyway, turns out she has a minor ear infection. Wonderful!
What with the lab tests, the ear meds, and the regular checkup and shots besides, the vet bill came to over $200. EEK!
And I haven't even had her spayed yet! I only thanked goodness I could pay it.

Her stools were much firmer this afternoon...and no worms. This is just too weird. Maybe she had only a couple worms and passed them already without anyone noticing...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That is good news that she doesn't have worms - I BELIEVE that if she had worms and passed a couple of them, she would STILL have worms - I think they just pass the dead ones. However, it is a good thing she de-wormed her anyway. For loose stools, I use canned pumpkin - not pumpkin pie mix, but the plain canned pumpkin - it usually clears up the problem almost immediately - even for severe poopsies. I just put a dollop - (like a tablespoon full), on top of the kibble, they all love it - and it seems to help quickly.
Here's a link about parasites in dogs.

http://www.petsandparasites.org/dog-owners/roundworms.html

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yes, pumpkin works wonders. What I usually do is make some plain white rice, mix with a little canned pumpkin (about a spoon full) and fee that for 1-2 meals, until the stool is nice and firm, then I start adding regular food to the mix and a day or two later change back to dry kibble.

Puppies are like babies, but in time you'll know to recognize the vet worthy problems from the simple worried mom ones. I'm just happy she's okay

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I am glad it is nothing too serious. I have seen my fair share of ear infections with Spencer's allergies. Vet expenses in the first year can be pretty expensive. Actually, every year for me with flea treatments is about $450 for my two, it sucks but that is just what I have to pay to keep them healthy.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GAH! She DOES have worms!
This time I'm sure; earthworms don't curl up like pasta and they don't crawl inside on their own unless it's flooded.

Oh, well. At least I've already got the wormer.

She's really good taking her medicine. Thank God for that!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Carrie, the medication that my vet gives for worms works within a couple of hours - and it's pretty gross, but it DOES work. She'll need to be de-wormed again - I'm sure he told you that. Randy gives them the meds every time I take them in for their check ups just in case.
Years ago they said that ear infections in floppy earred dogs were caused by moisture in the ears - the past few years they've changed their minds about that - and now think that most are caused by food allergies. When I got my Romeo 7 years ago, his breeder had been feeding Purina Pro Plan (which many breeders feed) - and not wanting to switch him right away, I continued it for a while. He had a couple of ear infections - until I switched him to a different food. Check the label on what you're feeding - <span style="text-decoration: underline">corn and wheat </span>are the biggest culprits of food allergies. None of my dogs have had ear infections since then, except that Lottie had one when she came to me which was treated and she's never had another. It's worth a try. There are many good foods out there that don't contain corn or wheat. Just because a food is expensive, doesn't necessarily mean it's good - as can be seen by the following. Generally paying a little more for food is cost-effective - as you'll often wind up feeding twice as much of the store brands. Another benefit of better quality foods is less clean-up - the grocery store foods contain a lot of fillers - more fillers means more poops. If you have a Costco near, their Kirkland food has good ratings, and is about half (or less) as much as you'd pay for some of the premium foods. When my daughter and her husband lived with me, they went to Costco often and got their food for the pack. Since I'm alone now, Costco is out of the question, since my car is older and not in very good condition and Costco is over 60 miles away. I'm now back to Nutro Natural Choice which all my dogs love - and it's the best I can buy LOCALLY. It's about $40 for a 40# bag - where the Kirkland is roughly $20 for a 40# bag. For one puppy, it certainly would be worth buying the better quality foods - where my pack goes through 2 40# bags a month.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"> <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="text-decoration: underline">How to grade your dog food!
Start with a grade of 100:</span></span></span></span>
For every listing of by-product, subtract 10 points!
For every non-specific animal source (meat or poultry, meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points!
If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
For every grain mill run or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points!
If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. ground brown rice, brewer's rice, rice flour are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points
If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points
If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points
If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points
If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points
If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points
If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points
If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point
If it contains salt, subtract 1 point
Extra Credit:

If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points
If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points
If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points
If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points
If the food contains fruit, add 3 points
If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points
If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points
If the food contains barley, add 2 points
If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points
If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count chicken and chicken meal as only one protein source, but chicken and beef as 2 different sources), add 1 point
If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

Grading:

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
69 and below = F

Here are some foods that have already been scored.

Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
Canidae / Score 112 A+
Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 A
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Kirkland/(that would be from Costco/Price Club) Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal/ Score 94 A
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Ol Roy Premium Dog Food / Score 53 F
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

Good luck with your baby!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't worry, I'm going to be switching her to Authority ASAP. The food the breeder was feeding was Purina Puppy. :p I'm going to gradually switch her over the next week.

It's just disconcerting to see someting CRAWLING in my pup's poo!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you're going to switch her food - I'm glad you're going to mix the new gradually with the old stuff. Excuse my expression, but Purina Puppy is c*@p. Over 20 years ago when I got my keeshond puppy, the vet recommended (and gave me a small bag) of Purina puppy - but at that time it was the ONLY puppy food available. Canine nutrition has changed a lot in the last 10 years or so. I may eat a lot of Ramen noodles, but my dogs get the best food I can give them. When I have puppies here, I start them off on Nutro Natural Choice Puppy food - and give the new owners a bag of it to get them started. Living in a small, rural town, the Natural Choice is the best that's offered here by our local Grange- so that's what they get (except the vet sells Science Diet - which has a wonderful F rating).
I quite understand how you feel about things crawling in the poo! It is DISGUSTING! But it will be over soon since she's been de-wormed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts