Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a tough 24 hours here since yesterday afternoon /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Peg was out doing some work in our shop yesterday and I decided to be the good husband and put her new birdfeeder up for her as a surprise. Well while I was out doing thusly, Bel comes out and sits down behind me and I never saw her. <sigh> I step back right onto her tail!! Poor little girl! Broke her tail about 2 inches from the tip!! Broke my heart right thru the middle! <sniff> Talked to our vet and carried her today; and they had to amputate over half her tail! Peggy just boohoo'ed all the way home.

I still feel so horrible! My heart aches everytime I see her!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I am so sorry this happened. I know you must feel terrible but you can't blame yourself. I don't know how many times I have almost stepped on Maggie because she comes up and lays down behind me.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
It's understandable and human that you feel horrible. I know I would.

But it was a horrible accident and I'll bet that Bel will recover quicker than you and Peg.

~Denise

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh no! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
That must have hurt!
I'm speechless at this point....very sad. I'll cry. Nothing worst than hurting your own baby. Well, don't be too hard on yourself, you didn't mean it.
I did slammed the patio door on charlie's tail one time, but I opened it back up instantly. He squeaked. So sorry.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh dear!!!

Accidents do happen, and I'm sure Bel will heal quickly and be herself once again very soon.

Please be kind to yourselves; it was an accident, and Bel still knows that you love her with all your heart -- and vice-versa.

Take care.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I feel so sorry for you. Please try and realise it was an accident. these things happen. I once ran over my first beagle (Bilbo) with my bike, she had run across my path. Despite screams from her she never held it against us. Plenty of cuddles :heart: and treats to your little girl now and she will soon be over the trauma.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
OH how I understand that guilt and sorrow, but please don't look back; these things happen, that's why they're called ACCIDENTS (because we didn't mean for them to happen)

I fed my 4 month old beag grapes....not knowing how toxic they could be.....and nearly killed her. It was done out of love, but it took a long time for me to forgive myself.

I cry along with you....but please forgive yourself, I KNOW Bel does. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
So very sorry to hear this happened. Our Beagles are always underfoot. I rolled over the tail of our first Beagle with a computer chair on rollers once. I didn't know he was laying right under the computer chair. Things do happen that are out of our control. I'm sure your baby will be just fine. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!!

Yeah, I know it was an accident, but seeing that short little tail is going to take a lot of getting used to; not to mention serve as a constant reminder to PAY ATTENTION to where they are located!!

She seems to be doing pretty good this morning. She got up and went out without a lot of problems.

Quirky thing: she wants to lay on the back seat of the car!!?? She come home yesterday from the vet and went in yard and did her business and then went back to the car and just sat looking up at the door. I opened the door and she stepped right in and layed down on the back seat. Think she just felt it was a safe place to stay away from everything?

Thanks again for all the words of encouragement /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So sorry to learn about this accident... but as everyone said it's not your fault!

The car thing is strange... but like you said, maybe she feels safe there. When you took her to the vet, was she laying there on the way? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm late with this, but want you to know that you shouldn't blame yourself. Sometimes our babies just are in the wrong place at the wrong time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I'm glad that Bel is doing okay after the surgery.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Oh Bob, I'm so sorry to read of Bel's accident. :(I know how guilty you feel, and I can imagine how sad it is to look at her little tail. But as Deb said, Bel forgives you and you must forgive yourself.Dogs are very resilient and I'm sure she'll be her old self in no time! Please give Bel a hug for me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Lots of extra treats for Bel and you!! Due to some physical conditions I have, my balance isn't too great and I have stepped on Maggie's feet occasionally and the shrieking really pierces the air. I definitely can relate to the guilt you are feeling -- just give Bel some special time and both of you will feel better soon.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Talked with Peggy at lunch; she let Bel out into the yard. Said she almost ran out to her first tree and circled it checking for squirrels.

Guess she is doing better.

Yeah! :happyhappy:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update 2:

I got home and Peggy let Bel out the door and she RAN out into the yard after a squirrel!! So, nice to see!!! She was just a wagging her little SHORT tail!

My little puppy is gonna live!!

:biglaugh:

PS...will try to get a pic of her new and improved, light-weight tail.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Oh No ...... well I'm glad to hear that she is beginning to feel more like herself. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Unfortunately accidents do happen even when you are careful.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts