Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just joined this forum. I have a somewhat overweight beagle cross who has a smaller head and wider lanky body. She will back out of every professionally fitted harness I've had...as well as her collars. It's stopping me from taking her on walks as I live in the country surrounded by neighbours' sheep and I'm so scared that when it comes time to turn around and go back, she will refuse and slip her collar and harness (which are linked by the way) by backing out of them.She sort of pulls her shoulders through somehow. She does this when I test her on our own 10 acre property which is fully fenced. It's very frustrating as her mastiff friend gets to go for walks every day and I can't risk taking my Beagle cross. I am unable to find any websites that suggest a solution. The only thing I thought of was designing my own harness which somehow fits around her back legs. A few people have suggested a choker (or slip collar) but if I try and pull her forward on that it will choke the wrong way and discourage her from moving forward. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what can you recommend?. Thank you. Sue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to see a picture of your harness.
Look for one that attaches the leash in the back..im posting one but there are others similar that should work
View attachment 42720
I would like to see a picture of your harness.
Look for one that attaches the leash in the back..im posting one but there are others similar that should work
View attachment 42720
Hi Cassie, thanks for getting back so soon. So I have attached a couple of photos of her current harness - in one shot, the harness was twisted before I realised and took the photo, but you get the general idea. The other harness I tried before this one is meant to be 'escape proof' (I've hyper-linked it so you can see the website) The issue is that she backs out of it regardless of where the lead is attached, and sort of folds her front legs in so that the whole thing just slips over her head in the end.:rolleyes: I did manage to find another website that stated that if a dog managed to do this, you were supposed to contact a site specific to the breed....which is what I am trying to do here. Fingers crossed. Cheers, Sue

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if one of the ones with more fabric in the front and around your dog, rather than straps, would be a better fit.
There's a couple on this page:
10 Best Harnesses for Beagles in 2022 - Reviews & Top Picks | Hepper
Hi Ally, thanks for this. Unfortunately all these harnesses she would slip out of easily as we've come to realise she will require something that goes around her back legs. We jerry rigged something tonight to try it (see photo)- and it seemed to work! We have also orderd some strong pant like things that we can adapt and hook onto her original supposedly 'escape-proof' harness. It's trial and error at this stage until we take her for a proper walk, but when we find something that really works well, I will be sure to take a photo and post it in case anyone else is having a similar issue. Thank you again. Cheers Sue.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Ally, thanks for this. Unfortunately all these harnesses she would slip out of easily as we've come to realise she will require something that goes around her back legs. We jerry rigged something tonight to try it (see photo)- and it seemed to work! We have also orderd some strong pant like things that we can adapt and hook onto her original supposedly 'escape-proof' harness. It's trial and error at this stage until we take her for a proper walk, but when we find something that really works well, I will be sure to take a photo and post it in case anyone else is having a similar issue. Thank you again. Cheers Sue.
You should rename her Houdini! I hope the back leg harness works!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts