Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys would appreciate this story!

Tonight while I was reading my son his bedtime stories, Lucky jumped up on his bed, curled up and went to sleep. When I got up after reading the stories Lucky stayed and my son, who calls both dogs Toby
said, ma ma, Toby sleep. I said, do you want Lucky to go to sleep with you? My son says, yeah. So, I leave the room and leave the door cracked. I was watching them on the monitor and could tell my son just loved that Lucky was curled up on his bed. A few minutes later, though, Lucky comes out of the room (realized I was gone!) My son starts screaming, so I go in and Lucky follows again. My son is just crying, telling Lucky to sleep!! Lucky jumps back up and lays down. My son just kept petting his head trying to convince him to stay. Petting him and saying Toby sleep. Well, my son couldn't convince Lucky to stay on his bed, but I thought it was so cute to see how my son is really starting to love Lucky and how Lucky loves the attention from my son (Toby, not so much!). I really think Lucky will become the most attached to my son. They are just about the same age and just seem to get each other! It's fun to see your kids getting attached to the family pets. They are so gentle with each other, too. It's quite heartwarming to a mom!!! Now if I can just get him to realize they aren't both named Toby!!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
That is sweet. Gunnar sleeps with my daughter and my boys are always trying to get Daisy to sleep with them (they say they need a guard dog)but she likes to sleep by herself out in the living room. If I am in their room she will get up on the bed and sleep but as soon as I go out here she comes, they get so upset but she just won't stay in there

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Cute. Its funny with dogs though, you cant force them to stay with someone.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: A doghouseCute. Its funny with dogs though, you cant force them to stay with someone.
Yeah that! Trying to make a 2 year see that is a little comical!!!

Lucky and Toby both sleep in the utility room because Lucky couldn't be trusted for a long time. I'm not really opposed to testing the waters leaving them out, but my husband and I have gotten so used to sleeping without Toby's snoring, I don't know if we could go back!!! I wouldn't be shocked to see Lucky find his place in my son's room! He loves to curl up on a pillow and my son has one at each end of the bed that he doesn't use!!! My husband might divorce me, though, if we end up with two snoring beagles on our bed!!

With my son being 2.5 is it even o.k. to let a dog sleep on his bed?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Aww, that's such a sweet story. When I was small I use to seek my cocker spaniel in with me at night to sleep with me

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I love your story about Lucky and your son. I don't have little ones at home any more but Maggie just loves little visitors. She would have been a great dog for kids.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Originally Posted By: Toby & LuckyWith my son being 2.5 is it even o.k. to let a dog sleep on his bed?

I think it depends on the dog and the child.
When our son was a baby, our cat used to LOVE to lay on his stomach. Our son had colic and had to be swaddled snuggly, but sometimes his arms would get out. Our cat, Garfield would always go lay on him then, almost like he was trying to keep his arms down and keep him snuggled. I always worried, but the cat stayed far enough down that it wasn't hurting our son.

I'd say that as long as the dog's not sleeping on his face, you're good.

I bet it's calming to have the dog in his bed. A nice warm protector.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH, that would be a great picture!!! Why do I never have my camera for the really good stuff. Just the other day, Lucky and my son were cuddled up in the floor. Lucky had his head on my son's arm and their heads were nuzzled together with my son's arm around Lucky! I knew if I moved to go get the camera, it would ruin the moment!!

I did get my son to say, Luck yesterday. At one point even pointed at Toby and said, Toby and pointed at Lucky and said, Luck. Progress!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts