Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back home. My boyfriend bought a moped and we went to pick it up about half an hour from here. We pulled in the driveway and they had a huge St. Bernard/chow mix, and a little Beagle mix tied to a cable in the front yard. A third dog, a female Beagle came running up... she was really skinny and dirty and covered in ticks. Of course I fell in love immediately. I sat there petting her and she climbed in my lap and proceeded to lick my face. The guy came out and said "you want that dog? someone dropped her off here yesterday" :angryfire: . She was about 6-7 years old, soooooo sweet, very small. As hard as I tried I could not talk my boyfriend into letting me bring her home. I did pull all the ticks off of her though, that should make her feel a little better. The guy doesn't want her hanging around, he's annoyed because she keeps trying to run in the house whenever the door gets opened, and he's moving soon and will probably leave her behind which makes me so sad. Poor little thing tried so hard to get into the car with us... she even tried to jump up in the trunk when it was open. I felt so bad, and I'm hoping if I really try, I can talk my boyfriend into letting me at least foster her. I hate to think of her being left behind to fend for herself there. So please send good vibes that I can talk him into it, and if you have any advice for difficult men, let me know. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Maybe you can make your boyfriend realize that fate sent you there and you are probably her only chance.

Even if it just means fostering.

It sounds like the little homeless beagle made her feelings clear.

Any beagle rescues in that area?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:
Any beagle rescues in that area?
BREW Beagles is not far from here, I have worked with them before. There is another Beagle rescue in Ohio I think is called Beagles r us, but I don't know much about them. I have my own rescue, and fostered for awhile but we just took in a JRT mix that was being crated 24/7 and John says we have enough right now. I'll keep trying though!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh how sad for that poor soul! I have been without a Puppy for almost 2 yrs since I lost my 11 yr old Chihuahua and I forgot how much these Puppies deserve a good life.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here Here John! I agree anyone that heartless, who can look a beagle like that in the eye and leave her behind makes me mad. I wish I was closer or she could get to Canada. My Polly was so skinny and unloved too and it makes me cry to think that anyone could have looked at her and simply discarded her because she was past her prime breeding years and deaf. I know it is not the guys fault that she was dropped off, but have some compassion and call a rescue at least.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by John W:
Sounds like it's time to tell that boyfriend to climb on his moped and hit the road. Any man who would refuse help to a dog under those conditions doesn't deserve you.
Wow...well said.

It is hard to see things from Scooterbears perspective because my husband would have scooped that little dog up and brought her home without my even having to ask. If he was not like that, I wouldn't have enough in common with him to marry him in the first place.

I have been thinking about that little dog...I do hope Scooterbear can help her. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
simple. kick him to the curb and bring home the beagle. beagles are way more loyal than your mate anyways. besides, he should share your passion to help when your needed.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Aw-www, she sounds so much like my Li'l Girl when I first saw her. She was being fostered, but was covered in ticks and very thin. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif My husband has a weakness for homeless dogs in need, too. That's why we have 4 dogs. If we bring one home, and can't find the owners or a new home, it stays. :eyes: Once we get to the point of putting a name tag on, the dog is ours.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hopefully you can get her into one of the rescues. I think we all know what it's like to want to take them all in.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It is always so awesome to hear of people who have such big hearts for animals in need, esp beagles!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I kinda agree with the above posters...not that you really need to get rid of your BF but that it is YOUR decision and YOUR conscious and if you feel a need to help this poor beagle (who may end up in a pound....or WORSE) You need to take charge and do what you have to do...b/c it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Just imagine how much you could do to help him? Just by taking him in for a few days...you may save his life in the long run..and that is worth a few days of trouble, right?!!

We cant save the world, cant save all the poor homeless beagles, but when an opportunity falls in your lap you have to fight for it!

So, as a disclamer..i also dont want to cause problems b/t you and your BF, but if you take the beagle in and it is temporary, just imagine how awesome you will feel at the end of the day to save this poor beagle..

If BREW is near you, maybe they can help...just take him in..sounds like it would be a better life than what he has now.

Good luck..keep us posted

amanda

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Sandy,

Pound for pound, Jeff has brought home as many animals-in-need as I have. He also stops the car to pull dead animals off of the street so that the scavengers don't get hit by cars.

He caught a house mouse in the basement last week. Since it began to rain and the temp dropped, the little mouse was our guest (in an aquarium with food and water) for a few days until the weather became more agreeable. Then Jeff released the little mouse. It really was cute. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

We're probably a little more extreme than the average family when it comes to animals but that's OK. By now, scooterbears little homeless beagle would have been sleeping on the sofa with Henry and Olivia.

I hope Scooterbears boyfriend changes his mind. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, we talked about it a lot more last night and we came to a deal between us and the people who found the dog. They are moving from their home in 2 weeks, until then they are going to feed the dog and put up posters in their neighborhood to see if she might just be a lost dog. In 2 weeks, if no one has claimed her, I am allowed to go and get her and foster her until another home can be found.
And really, my boyfriend is not that bad... in fact today we were driving and there were four little dogs running on the highway in front of a school... a Beagle mix and three Jack Russells.. he immediately turned around and pulled into the school parking lot. We tried for about 20 minutes to catch the dogs, all were afraid and ran from us. They ran over to a house, so we followed them there to see if that's where they lived. There was a very angry man there that was upset that we were messing with his dogs... which angered me because his dogs were playing in the highway. The dogs had no collars or ID and none of them were in good shape. There were at least 6 more small dogs barking at us from inside the house. So we left and I immediately called animal control who went out and took care of the situation. My boyfriend told me that if we had been able to catch the dogs we would have fostered one or two and taken the others out to the shelter... which, by the way, is a very low-kill shelter (only euthanizes extremely aggressive or sick animals).
But anyway, I love my boyfriend. Yes, I was upset that he said no but he was just thinking that we really don't need another dog right now... we've got three dogs now after taking in the JRT a couple weeks ago, and 6 cats (one of which is pregnant and due in 3 weeks or so, vet screwed up a spay, long story), he wasn't sure another animal right now would be a good idea because of the kittens coming. But anyway, after just a little talking we came to that decision and I think it will work out fine for everyone. I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
448 Posts
scooter
Just reading the posts now-and I am glad you clarified then... it does sound like you have a lot of dogs/pets in the house already! I can see why your bf was a bit skittish about taking another one. even to foster.
Hopefully they can find the owner, though it is hard to say. We are missing my little Chopper right now and I am heartbroken. I have started looking in ditches now for a body, unfortunately. I did put up posters, but we live around a lot of Amish people, and I doubt they would see the posters if one of them has started to feed him, etc. He is a sweet little guy, I had just taken him in 2 months ago when it was sub-zero temperatures and I found him wandering around. I had fattened him up some and gotten him used to the "good life" and being able to sleep in bed and get good food every day, but maybe it just wasnt meant to be.
(sorry for the long story)

Good luck with your bf and hopefully they DO find the owner!

Judi and the gang

·
Registered
702 Posts
WOW!! I've been following your story and am so happy to see that it has a very happy outcome :grr:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
That's great news, Scooterbear! :bounce2:

May I make a suggestion?

Please, during the two weeks, call the man every couple of days and check on the little girl. Just to make sure that all is well.

My gut feeling is that considering the shape she is in, nobody is going to claim her.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Well, this does sound like a good compromise, Scooterbear. But I agree with Gingergoose. If you can, maybe you could check on the little guy every so often to make sure they're taking care of him. Maybe offer to bring over some food even. Thanks for helping the poor little beag.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thank you for caring so much. I understand how your heart is bigger than your ability to provide, esp if you are a 'full house' already.

Please keep us up to date, im sure there is someone here who will help take him in if in 2 weeks, there is no luck.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Please check your messages......
I might have an idea regarding your possible foster dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts