Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor's cat got into our "big" yard awhile ago, Traveler got hold of it, and fatally injured it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

It was terrible having to call our neighbor, the best one we have, and tell what happened. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif She was understanding, and said the cat shouldn't have been in our yard, and Traveler did what dogs do.

We're distraught, but had to let her know. Couldn't just let her wonder where her cat had gone. I'll quite now 'cause I'm so upset it's hard to type.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I'm sorry for you and your neighbor. Thank you for telling your neighbor instead of leaving her to wonder and worry. My cats are all inside/outside cats but for some reason they don't wander from my yard. Sometimes Maggie chases them and I wonder how I would react if she injured one. I really think cats should be inside only but my husband doesn't like a litter box in the house. We are thinking of enclosing our patio next summer like a sunroom. Then we could keep a litter box in the corner. I will show him your post. Hope you are feeling a little better. I am a cat lover and I want you to know its not your fault.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Wow, so sorry to hear about this. I know it must be upsetting to all. I didn't know a dog could actually catch a cat. Our neighborhood cats are in our yard all the time. They mostly get in our back yard in the night. But once the neighbor cat was sitting in our back yard and I let Sadie and Pooh out and Sadie chased the cat up a tree. Our neighbor's dog chased another neighbor cat up on a roof one time too. Traveler is not to blame, it is just something doggies do. I really wish all cats would stay inside their homes and not wander around other people's yards. Anyway, so sorry for this stressful situation. Hang in there.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I am really sorry you are dealing with this. I do not believe is leaving cats loose outside the same way I would not just let my dog out loose to roam either. Not only would you have to worry about where they are and what they are eating or getting into but you also have to think about your neighbours and where your cats would be "doing their business". It is not your fault that this happened, your neighbour should have had the cat tied in their own yard. My two have not gotten near a cat but I would hate to se ewhat would happen if they ever did.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I'm sorry, Sandy. Even though it isn't your fault, it's understandable why you feel so bad.

Our two huskies caught and killed a cat in our yard years ago and I went door to door in tears trying to find the cats owner. Never did.

Pets who roam run risks such as this and as you can see, when "it" happens, the pet pays the ultimate price but others get hurt in the process.

I hope you feel better soon. And I hope your neighbor decides to keep any future pets confined.

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
OH Sandy....
How awful for such a soft-hearted-animal-lover like you to deal with. Sometimes it's easy to forget, that our beloved and gentle pets have instincts they obey without question; it's such a shock when they act like hunters.

I'm sure your neighbor is very understanding, but I hope the awkwardness you feel is smoothed over and gone very soon.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my neighbor's defense, she loves her cats very much and does closely watch them. They're shut up every night to keep them safe from coyotes, and are usually supervised in her yard.

I'm guessing that yesterday morning her husband let the kitty out to go potty when he left, and for some reason she decided to leave the yard. Remember, we live in a rural area on acreage. It's at least 1/4 mile from their yard to where the tragedy occurred. Totally unexpected that the cat would go that far from her yard.

Thank you all for your kind words. As I said, my neighbor doesn't fault us, but I'm still just so sorry that this happened. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts