Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, I went to Petsmart today and picked up myself one of those Halti's...all I can say is...WOW! It's a halter that slips over your dogs muzzle, and around your dog's ears, then it has a clip that clips to your dogs collar where you would normally put the leash. You have to turn the collar around though, because it clips in front of it's chest. Then you clip your leash to the halter underneath it's chin...now all of a sudden, my pulling boxer/lab walks beside me on walks. It doesn't allow your dog to pull. I would suggest this to anyone omg! Here are picks..it may look like a muzzle, but it's not, and it's not hurting the dog, and it takes some getting used too, but it's a training tool, so eventually you will be able to remove it. Here's some pics of the Noobs with it on. You don't leave it on of course, but I wanted to show you. Just FYI, she always looks this pathetic...lol it's not the new halter...

EDIT:I should revise my statement, everyone knows what's best for their dogs. I have a bad back, and the herniation is on my spinal cord, and I can't afford proper training, and this seems to be helping. I can't risk this 40 pound going on 50 pound dog taking off on me, so this leave COMPLETE control. She doesn't paw at it or anything, I know she doesn't care for it, but this isn't permanent, it's temporary. It's up to her when we stop using it, when she gets the point. Cassidy is next I am afraid. She pulls just as much, and I have tried several training methods with her and they don't work. I am going to work with her with this next, which I know is going to be a challenge. And when I say it doesn't hurt them...as long as used CORRECTLY, they shouldn't hurt your dog, and sometimes it takes some getting used to. The trainer at Petsmart told me it takes time sometimes for dogs to get used to it. Sometimes dogs do the whole gator roll of death, claw at it, bark, freak out, but eventually, they will be broken of it. Sounds cruel, but now that I see it working and my dog isn't scared of it. If I went to go put it on her, and she starts shaking or something, then I wouldn't use it because it's obviously emotionally traumatizing her. But, Nubi doesn't, she just sits there and gives me a look that she doesn't care for it, but she allows me to place it. Thanks so much. And, anyone else who has had experience with this, or tips, please do!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have never used them, but have several friends who have used them with good success. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
my friend was actually talking to me about this earlier today. he is having his two rotti x french mastiffs professionally trained and the trainer was abit rough and careless while putting the halti on and caused the dog enough stress that it did not want to be handled by the trainer anymore... so like Amber said, IF used correctly, it can be a great tool.

Amber, from my understanding, it prevents the dog from pulling away from you, but does it prevent the dog from running across you?
I have jarred my knee many times when joggin with milo as he'll suddenly run across me so i am forced to throw my whole 80kg suddenly and uncomfortable onto one leg to prevent myself from steppin on him and breaking his leg...

·
Registered
22 Posts
It does not prevent him from running across you, that's for sure. I just bought one of these, because walking Bentley was like having an arm wrassle at the same time. But with the Halti he walks beautifully!

I umbilical him to my side, and I can walk hands free. I make the leash short enough that he doesn't cross in front of me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are suppose to keep the leash short enought to keep him beside you so he can't run in front of you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
After reading your post, we went out and bought one - Penny doesn't like it much yet when it is first put on, but boy does it make handling easier. Thanks so much for the tip. I am sure Penny will adjust soon enough.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I purchased one of these last year, When hun came home He made me take it back to the store, He said if not used properly, damage can be caused. I was not about to argue more with him the reaons why I purchased it, so off I went to take it back, I mentioned to the store lady why Hun wanted me to return it, She did say the same thing hun did, & knowing me I would of not used it correctly, sooooooo harness it was.

I wish I could of kept it knowing the plus side of using it correctly but I personally was not taking the chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts